Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Flagship Sedan to Rival Lexus LS? Return of the Park Avenue

Old 08-06-10, 09:37 AM
St00k
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buick Flagship Sedan to Rival Lexus LS? Return of the Park Avenue

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...rk-avenue.html

While all the news from Buick as of late has been in regards to new smaller models and a move d0wn-market, the GM luxury brand is also planning a new flagship model. Targeted at the Lexus LS, the team at GMInsideNews has confirmed from sources inside GM that an early design for the new model has been approved and the team responsible for the car has been given a limited budget to continue developing the idea.

This new model would be based on the Premium Zeta architecture, much like the proposed (but not yet confirmed) Cadillac XTS. In order to keep these two models from competing too closely with each other, the Buick model would target the Lexus LS, while the Cadillac would be poised to take on the sportier BMW 7 Series.

Currently Buick does have a flagship sedan based on the Zeta architecture – sold in China as the Park Avenue. There’s a possibility that this new model could also replace the Chinese Park Avenue and bring back the Park Avenue name to North America.
Old 08-06-10, 09:43 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buick targets Lexus. Cadillac targets BMW.

Ultimately, GM will always be playing second fiddle.
Old 08-06-10, 09:48 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like this could be a direct competitor to the Equus.
Old 08-06-10, 09:55 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a Skoda Superb:

Old 08-06-10, 09:58 AM
LexFather

The future Caddy XTS is a FWD car.

They need to stop their obsession with becoming a Lexus or BMW and obsess with THEMSELVES. Buick and Caddy are abandoning huge markets (Town Car/DTS) and need to satisfy those customers.

THere is a BOOMING AGING MARKET!!!

To add insult to injury we recently found out the average age of a CTS buyer is nearly as old as a LS buyer. I said it many times these new Caddy's are aimed for the young but bought by the old.

Old 08-06-10, 10:13 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I think I am fair when I say this. Buick still has a long way to go before they can rival LS, so does Hyundai, but Hyundai is closer.
Old 08-06-10, 11:09 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with what everyone else has said so far.

Talk is cheap. Let's see something credible because IMO, even the LaCrosse is a solid few steps behind the ES and if you can't out-do a Camry based entry level car, I don't have a worry about a flagship.
Old 08-06-10, 11:10 AM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I think I am fair when I say this. Buick still has a long way to go before they can rival LS, so does Hyundai, but Hyundai is closer.
yep, if the buick lacrosse can overtake the ES, they can start focusing on attacking the LS
Old 08-06-10, 11:24 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
yep, if the buick lacrosse can overtake the ES, they can start focusing on attacking the LS
I think the current ES's are quite possibly the ugliest car Lexus has made in ages. I'm not surprised by that at all.

I have never been a fan of the ES series. My parents had one for about 2 weeks before they developed the same feelings as I.
Old 08-06-10, 11:39 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Also keep in mind that Lacross is brand new everything and ES is oh my god so old.
Old 08-06-10, 11:45 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

The LaCrosse has overtaken the ES in terms of sales, but it is a far cry from being a better car, IMO.
Old 08-06-10, 11:45 AM
LexFather

Not sure how the ES is ugly. Lets also remember the ES is V-6 only and starts at 35k. The LAcrosse can be had with a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder and starts at 27k. The ES like the RX is the standard in class. PERIOD. Its amazing to see the hate they garnish by people not interested in them and completely bashing them based on perceptions they have without even thinking for 2 seconds the cars are aimed at a different buyer and those buyers LOVE THEM.

It is a good effort but the interior is clearly not to Lexus/ES levels nor most anything else.

Is Lexus that hated? Where anyone can just say "its going after Lexus" and people insist the Lexus is worse and lost the battle?

Funny people bash Lexus for being Lexus but give kudos for Buick for being like a Lexus?

WTF?

Old 08-06-10, 12:17 PM
votru
Lead Lap

GM need to stop pursuit to be a Lexus/BMW/MB instead focus on expand their base customer and bring better product that once proven then customer will follow.....my $.02.
Old 08-06-10, 12:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not sure how the ES is ugly. Lets also remember the ES is V-6 only and starts at 35k. The LAcrosse can be had with a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder and starts at 27k. The ES like the RX is the standard in class. PERIOD. Its amazing to see the hate they garnish by people not interested in them and completely bashing them based on perceptions they have without even thinking for 2 seconds the cars are aimed at a different buyer and those buyers LOVE THEM.

It is a good effort but the interior is clearly not to Lexus/ES levels nor most anything else.

Is Lexus that hated? Where anyone can just say "its going after Lexus" and people insist the Lexus is worse and lost the battle?

Funny people bash Lexus for being Lexus but give kudos for Buick for being like a Lexus?

WTF?

You bring up a good point. The LaCrosse is available in 3 trim levels, 3 engine choices (for now) and 2 drivetrains (FWD & AWD) so it competes with a wide variety of cars. No doubt it is a sales success.

If they do come out with an LS, or whatever, fighter, the older more conservative buyer might be more comfortable with the Buick name than say Hyundai right now.
Old 08-06-10, 01:09 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I see GM is taking the Hyundai approach to marketing, and Acura approach in terms of execution .

Honestly, talk is cheap, and this is some really cheap talk. In no way will a FWD-based car be able to compete with the LS. This is keeping in mind with the fact that by the time this car actually DOES come out, the next-generation LS will already be out as well.

Also good points about the LaCrosse and ES; The LaCrosse is still not a superior car even though it is new and the ES is old. Sales are higher yes, but with a much-lower base price I would expect sales to be higher. It would be a huge disappointment if sales weren't higher.

On that note, I won't be surprised if the next-gen ES beats the LaCrosse in sales once it's been out for a while.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buick Flagship Sedan to Rival Lexus LS? Return of the Park Avenue