Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A day driving to work here in Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 05:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default A day driving to work here in Southern California

I wouldn't say it's anything "special" today, probably a lot of people encountered the same driving around here.

Entering the freeway, this girl in her FORD Flex decided that she could take on the M3. Well, I am fine with that, I am always good to have some fun together. But no, she got away, and started going in and out of cars driving like an idiot. It was so not worth it (risk) so I just cruised on the fast lane. Well, I guess driving like an *** doesn't mean smart. She ended up so stuck behind cars and truck in the slow lane, and she started tailing people here and there. Can't understand these people, I eventually passed her and never saw her again.

Then I was driving about 80mph on the fast lane and saw a Ferarri 355. Nice car, but something was weird. Not much traffic at that point, but he was in the 2nd to fastest lane, doing probably about 60mph. Others were switching lane and passing him. It's a pretty young male driver too. I mean, what's the point of having a car like this when you aren't really driving it. I don't mean driving like a mad man all the time, but 60mph?

After a while, I was in the fast lane doing 80mph following another truck, also the same speed. Came this other big SUV, literally cut into the fast lane in front of the truck for no reason, with no cars in front of the SUV to begin with. I felt weird so I decided to switch to slower lane and pass. The SUV decided to start going at 65mph on the fast lane as I was passing it. Looking at the driver, it was a family and the male driver looked totally innocent like he wasn't aware of what he did. Umm, can't understand

Back on the fast lane and got behind this car doing the famous 65mph walk. Fine, I switch lane trying to pass, and he decided to accelerate and block me. Okay, what's wrong with you? I had to get behind him again coz' I was approaching a car in front of me. I switched lane again and he started accelerating again. But I guess he couldn't figure out from my front bumper what car I was driving. I am sure he did after I passed him and cut back into his lane coz' he completely backed off.

Going on ramp from one freeway to another, two lanes, and two SUVs decided that it's probably the safest thing to do by driving the same slow speed side by side, with cars stuck behind them "waiting".

Ah, my day had just begun...
Old 08-05-10, 05:33 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The heck with the Flex girl and the two guys in the SUV and Ferarri, how about that truck in the fast lane doing 80mph with you. Talk about "hauling" a**. Other then that I hope you had a good rest of the day
Old 08-05-10, 05:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Lane discipline is seriously lacking in some parts, all over US.
Old 08-05-10, 06:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
The heck with the Flex girl and the two guys in the SUV and Ferarri, how about that truck in the fast lane doing 80mph with you. Talk about "hauling" a**. Other then that I hope you had a good rest of the day
lol, depending on the time and which stretch of freeways here, sometimes doing 80mph is pretty much the "norm". sometimes i actually have to go down a lane or two coz' people in fast lanes are going 90!!! today i wasn't tailing that truck at all

i am going to start my drive back home pretty soon. my battle might just be beginning!
Old 08-05-10, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV

Agreed, but so is speed discipline.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-05-10 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-05-10, 07:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
Entering the freeway, this girl in her FORD Flex decided that she could take on the M3. Well, I am fine with that, I am always good to have some fun together. But no, she got away, and started going in and out of cars driving like an idiot.
Probably trying to show off her new EcoBoost.

Then I was driving about 80mph on the fast lane and saw a Ferarri 355. Nice car, but something was weird. Not much traffic at that point, but he was in the 2nd to fastest lane, doing probably about 60mph. Others were switching lane and passing him. It's a pretty young male driver too. I mean, what's the point of having a car like this when you aren't really driving it. I don't mean driving like a mad man all the time, but 60mph?
What was the speed limit on that stretch? Maybe (?) he was actually obeying it.

Going on ramp from one freeway to another, two lanes, and two SUVs decided that it's probably the safest thing to do by driving the same slow speed side by side, with cars stuck behind them "waiting".
Probably nothing wrong with that if neither one was in the left lane. But, I agree...the left-lane is not the place for that.

Ah, my day had just begun...
You're not alone in L.A. The notorious D.C.-area Beltway, probably the most exasperating highway in the Eastern U.S. to drive, is pretty much the same way.
Old 08-05-10, 10:55 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely speed limit was 65mph but other people were going 75mph+. It happens all the time in SoCal
Old 08-05-10, 11:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mmarshall

What was the speed limit on that stretch? Maybe (?) he was actually obeying it.

Probably nothing wrong with that if neither one was in the left lane. But, I agree...the left-lane is not the place for that.
we have been over this topic for long, but the way i see it, obeying speed limit is fine but blocking traffic is not. there were lanes opened on the right where he could have done 65mph all day long, but no, he had to CUT (not merge) to the left and started doing 65, prompting cars behind him to brake from 80 down. that's blocking traffic, in a dangerous way.

and in ca, it's been mentioned (even in news) several times already, even if you are doing speed limit on the fast lane, but the flow of traffic is faster, you can receive a ticket (those were words by chp)

it's a 2 lane ramp all the way through, they were side by side taking up both lanes going 50mph. almost thought it was some kind of stunt driving
Old 08-05-10, 11:07 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the ferrari driver was probably driving slow because he wanted to be seen in the car. nobody can see you if you're ripping it at 100mph.

i had a bad experience with a E93 M3 today. the guy had no cats, cut across 2 lanes and ended up in front of me. he then gunned it hard on city streets. my windows were open and i got hit in the face with the smell of rotten eggs. disgusting.
Old 08-06-10, 12:00 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

did the FLEX signal? Did anyone signal? If they didnt, I would have had serious road rage in those situations
Old 08-06-10, 01:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RXSF
did the FLEX signal? Did anyone signal? If they didnt, I would have had serious road rage in those situations
lol, let's see

flex - no
ferrari - no need (haha)
suv - absolutely no
me - always (i hate people not signaling)

lol, seriously, people in norcal drive so "mellow" compared to socal. i used to live up there and every time i came down, god it's like a war-zone.
Old 08-06-10, 04:43 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Too many people going too fast in all lanes, and too many people going too slow in all lanes. Mix 'em all together and welcome to my world. I see this stuff ten times over every single day in south Florida (Broward) Last time I went back home (SD & LA) I couldn't believe how disciplined the drivers were compared to here. I guess that's why Broward County has the highest insurance rated in the country.
Old 08-06-10, 06:01 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I think that is a very politically correct way of saying, "There are a--holes everywhere...."
Old 08-06-10, 06:26 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
I wouldn't say it's anything "special" today, probably a lot of people encountered the same driving around here.

Entering the freeway, this girl in her FORD Flex decided that she could take on the M3. Well, I am fine with that, I am always good to have some fun together. But no, she got away, and started going in and out of cars driving like an idiot. It was so not worth it (risk) so I just cruised on the fast lane. Well, I guess driving like an *** doesn't mean smart. She ended up so stuck behind cars and truck in the slow lane, and she started tailing people here and there. Can't understand these people, I eventually passed her and never saw her again.

Then I was driving about 80mph on the fast lane and saw a Ferarri 355. Nice car, but something was weird. Not much traffic at that point, but he was in the 2nd to fastest lane, doing probably about 60mph. Others were switching lane and passing him. It's a pretty young male driver too. I mean, what's the point of having a car like this when you aren't really driving it. I don't mean driving like a mad man all the time, but 60mph?..
Maybe dad bought the car, and if he gets a ticket, no more Ferrari :d
Btw, many people buy fast cars just to pose, I've seen countless AMGs driving on the slow lane all the time ......
Old 08-06-10, 07:53 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Try driving in Europe and coming back here. After coming back from the Autobahn & Autostrata I have been nuts ever since. That was 3 years ago. A good majority of the cars use the fast lane for ONLY passing. Even when they are going decently fast, they do not even stay in that lane (80mph)+. When people saw me coming from a distance, they usually would change lanes to let me pass when I was VERY far away from them. Not once in 17 days did I have someone who didn't change lanes very early. I never had to brake for someone to move over unless they did not have a chance to move over immediately due to moderate traffic.

SIGH.

Quick Reply: A day driving to work here in Southern California