Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How One Man Reinvented The Wheel/Tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 02:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default How One Man Reinvented The Wheel/Tire

http://jalopnik.com/5604345/how-one-...nted-the-wheel

How One Man Reinvented The Wheel
Seeing a Lexus with its rear tires steeply cambered by an overladen trunk, John Scott, a Wisconsin car enthusiast, had a brilliant idea. Now his concept for negatively cambered tires may literally reinvent the wheel.

Scott's idea — he calls it the Camber Tire, which he submitted for patent approval in 1998 and which was approved in 1999 — is a tire built with an outer sidewall that's slightly taller than the inside sidewall. That results in a continuing decrease in the diameter across the tread surface and allows for compensation for a negatively cambered alignment setting to the wheel. When mounted on a vehicle with independent negatively cambered suspension or negatively cambered non-driven axles, his research indicates that the Camber Tire can deliver substantially improved handling, ride quality, tread wear and fuel economy.

Better yet, it provides all these benefits for cars with independent suspension or non-driven solid axles with no additional add-on equipment — just a new set of tires and an alignment including properly setting the suspension camber.

Scott's physics look sound. We all know that standard tires aren't square to the road when a car's body leans into turns. A negatively cambered tire's shape allows it to maintain contact on those curves.

The phenomenon of negative camber is something racers have used for a long time to achieve higher cornering speeds. Even NASCAR drivers — despite knowing how we feel about NASCAR, we're willing to give them begrudging respect on this point — use the concept on oval tracks (where every turn is to the left). Teams will angle the right side tires in at the top and the left side tires out at the top to give maximum surface contact to all four tires in the turns.

But the tires aren't just for the track. Automobile's Don Sherman, wrote for the New York Times that he drove a Lancer GSR equipped with Scott's tires and found the CamberTire-equipped Mitsubishi

"demonstrated shorter stopping distances, higher cornering speeds and a markedly improved ride. The tires' breakaway at the ragged edge of adhesion was more progressive and predictable than the Mitsubishi's original-equipment Yokohama radials."
Here's a detailed look at the results of Automobile's tests:

That's all well and good, but there are some problem with altered camber tires. One issue racers have had with futzing with the camber is increased tread wear on patches of the tire with higher contact time with the road. Scott's Camber Tire beats the problem because its tread runs flat. He claims his prototype, in high-mileage tests, are able to maintain normal tire tread life because of that design

So, are Scott's tires the future? He's betting on it — and positive reaction from outlets like Automobile and even car guys like Jay Leno, can't hurt. Although his claim to have "reinvented the wheel" may be a bit of hyperbole, he did recently receive passing grades from the Department of Transportation (DOT) for durability and speed ratings. Scott's next step is to take the concept from niche performance tires — where he's currently focusing his efforts — into more conventional sizes. If he succeeds in bringing this straight-from-the-track tire technology to the masses then maybe he really has "reinvented the wheel."
Old 08-05-10, 12:12 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice for auto racing. don't know if it will be mass marketable except for the cambered out crowd.
Old 08-05-10, 08:48 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cambered tires display a higher rolling resistance, causing slower acceleration but better braking, however, with a near same tire compound, all-around poorer performance.

Maybe useful on a track (doubt it), but never for an everyday car.

Just read through the comments on Jalopnik for varying opinions of why this idea is full of fail.
Old 08-05-10, 09:35 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

camber correction kit is the better solution...nitto had some tires like these before
Old 08-05-10, 11:01 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by baddis es
camber correction kit is the better solution...nitto had some tires like these before
Nitto Neo-Gen was design to wear better with camber.
Old 08-06-10, 01:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I wish that tire was available in more sizes and lasted a bit longer. I read an article in a tuner magazine that said they got 15-20% better life from the tire. I am having a lot of luck with my Michelin Pilot Sport AS plus. I flipped them 5k ago at 11k miles and they are still looking great and riding quiet. I guess we will make due with whats on the market
Old 08-12-10, 04:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default CamberTire could increase MPGs, improve handling

CamberTire could increase MPGs, improve handling

If you have even a passing interest in sportscars, you may have noticed something suspicious about your favorite speed machine's tires. Typically, manufactures build a certain amount of negative camber (tipping the top of a wheel inward) into the suspensions of their sportscars. This allows the tires' contact patches to grow larger under hard cornering, thereby giving the vehicle more grip at the same time. Grip is good, but negative camber has plenty of, well, negative side effects as well. For starters, the vehicle's ride is compromised and the tires are more likely to exhibit uneven wear.

An inventor by the name of John Scott may have come up with a solution that allows most of the benefits of negative camber while maintaining treadwear and safety. Scott designed a tire with a slightly larger circumference on the outer sidewall than the inner sidewall. This allows the suspension to be adjusted with plenty of negative camber while maintaining the contact patch of the tire.

Chances are that the new rubber will be a hit in the aftermarket world where getting a vehicle as low as possible often means building in plenty of camber, but Scott claims that the new tires can benefit nearly every car on the road today by offering up better handling, shorter braking and better grip compared to OE tires.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/12/c...rove-handling/
Old 08-12-10, 06:03 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

unfortunately a repost.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...heel-tire.html
Old 08-12-10, 07:33 PM
LexFather

Awesome, we get to see more of this around town! How sweet!

Old 08-12-10, 09:45 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

^^ As if we don't already see enough of that on Clublexus
Old 08-13-10, 12:14 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

ran out of modding money, so the civic bought a steelie.