Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My wife and I want a cool "weekend car" for next year

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10, 08:01 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default My wife and I want a cool "weekend car" for next year

So, as the title states my wife and I want a cool weekend car. It will definitely need to be a 2dr, 2 seater and we don't want to spend anymore than $30K.

We are thinking about the Acura NSX...at least the '97+ model with the 3.2L 290hp engine...I would like a 6mt. I love the styling and the exotic look/feel of these cars however, I was reading up and almost every owner complains that it is a little lethargic. I have never driven one so I cannot comment on such. I have heard that these cars are reliable, handle amazingly, fun and very comfortable...but again, if the power isn't there that may make me nervous. I most likely will NEVER bring it to the track as tracks are hours away from me. Does anyone on here have any experience with the NSX?

I know that they weigh around 3100 lbs with 290hp and run 4.9's 0-60mph and 13.3's in the 1/4 mile from what I have read. I wonder if there are a lot of aftermarket mods for this car. Also, I wonder what a high stall TC can do on such a lightweight car with regard to straight-line performance. Don't get me wrong I am NOT looking for a car with JUST straight-line performance; I just want a car to be as fast as it looks and the NSX "looks" very fast; if I get one I would need to buy an already modded one or mod (performance) it in a cost-effective yet noticable way.

The other car is an '04+ Corvette Z06 BUT my wife (and kind of myself) don't get that same WOW feeling from the car when we look at it...also seeing them all the time on the raod doesn't help either. But they are sure as hell VERY fast and handle great too...some say they aren't the most comfortable cars though; and I am not sure how reliable they are - I don't know much about them.

...and of course the Toyota Supra. Kind of winds up somewhere between both of these cars as far as performance goes but I am not sure if it has that exotic feel of an NSX.

Someone please give me some advise and help sway my decisions to the rightful car! Also, if you have any other suggestions in this price range please feel free to add to this thread. Thank you!
Old 08-03-10, 08:28 AM
LexFather

Good options thus far. Also check out 996 911s and the Cayman S. BMW Z4 convert or coupe?

Worst case, get a E30 3 series or MX-5 or RX-8, per forum fanbois

Old 08-03-10, 08:50 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I vote for a 05+ vette, dirt cheap parts, good reliability and yes they are comfy. Only thing you have to watch out for on the 05 is the weak rear diff...but its only an issue if you like to dump the clutch when starting off in 1st gear.
Old 08-03-10, 08:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

personally i say the nsx is higher up on my list
Old 08-03-10, 09:03 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about an S2000?
Old 08-03-10, 09:15 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I've been looking too but for $30k, I don't think you can get a decent mileage, esp. 96+............someone correct me

yeah, I don't care (somewhat) about how fast it can go since I hardly go past 80mph in so-cal traffic anyways
Old 08-03-10, 09:24 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Comptech makes a bolt-on supercharger kit for the NSX that significantly boosts the power output.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/comptech_sc.htm
Old 08-03-10, 09:32 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Until I fully read your post, I was gonna suggest a Lotus Elise. Not as powerful as the others, but it's so light, and handles so well, it doesn't need to be. Unfortunately, I would not consider it a comfortable car by any stretch of the imagination. It's purely a track weapon.

$30k is an interesting ceiling for what you want. You can get lots of fun, smaller, newish sportscars for that. But most are not gonna have the power of the NSX, let alone the Z06. If you want big HP #'s your gonna be looking at cars at least 10 years old or more (which you seem to already be aware of).

Some that would be on my personal list for under 30k:

Miata - well within your budget, extremely fun to drive, very reliable, and you'll have plenty of money left over to supercharge/turbo it (they are a bit anemic) and add all the suspension goodies you could ever want.

98-02 BMW M-Coupe - Based on the Z3 but with love it or hate it styling, fast as hell, and handles just as well.

Lotus Elise - What the Miata really wants to be when it grows up, and gives you that exotic feel. But as I said, not exactly a comfortable car to drive around (unless your flogging it of course)

Mk IV Supra - already on your list, and a good choice. Only issue might be finding an unmolested one that some "Fast-N-Furious" wannabe hasn't abused

Early NSX - Again, on your list. But under $30k your chances are it's gonna have 80k+ on the clock (if that bothers you)

Z06 - Probably your best bang for the buck, performance wise. Early years can be had within your budget, and you'll blow the doors off of most things on the road. But Vettes in general are a dime-a-dozen, so even though it's a Z06, most people won't notice.

Just some other ideas for you...
Old 08-03-10, 09:50 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jaseman
Until I fully read your post, I was gonna suggest a Lotus Elise. Not as powerful as the others, but it's so light, and handles so well, it doesn't need to be. Unfortunately, I would not consider it a comfortable car by any stretch of the imagination. It's purely a track weapon.

$30k is an interesting ceiling for what you want. You can get lots of fun, smaller, newish sportscars for that. But most are not gonna have the power of the NSX, let alone the Z06. If you want big HP #'s your gonna be looking at cars at least 10 years old or more (which you seem to already be aware of).

Some that would be on my personal list for under 30k:

Miata - well within your budget, extremely fun to drive, very reliable, and you'll have plenty of money left over to supercharge/turbo it (they are a bit anemic) and add all the suspension goodies you could ever want.

98-02 BMW M-Coupe - Based on the Z3 but with love it or hate it styling, fast as hell, and handles just as well.

Lotus Elise - What the Miata really wants to be when it grows up, and gives you that exotic feel. But as I said, not exactly a comfortable car to drive around (unless your flogging it of course)

Mk IV Supra - already on your list, and a good choice. Only issue might be finding an unmolested one that some "Fast-N-Furious" wannabe hasn't abused

Early NSX - Again, on your list. But under $30k your chances are it's gonna have 80k+ on the clock (if that bothers you)

Z06 - Probably your best bang for the buck, performance wise. Early years can be had within your budget, and you'll blow the doors off of most things on the road. But Vettes in general are a dime-a-dozen, so even though it's a Z06, most people won't notice.

Just some other ideas for you...
Thanks for the ideas guys!

...and thanks jaseman.

I always viewed the Miata (and I am sorry to offend anyone) as a girls car; especially that my older sister had one; blasting her dance music in the mid 90's lol.

I am not a fan of any hatch-back style or looking car so the "M" car is out.

The Lotus Elise is nice but it is a little too small for me, I don't even know where the hell a Lotus dealer is to service it and it is harsh to drive...as mentioned on here and from what I have read.

The Supra is nice and may be a GREAT contender.

I LOVE the styling of the NSX; it is flat out awesome to look at. BTW,. I have been FEVERISHLY looking everywhere for great deals on NSX's as I don't care if it was across the damn country. When the time comes I will buy the best deal regardless of where it's located. Currently, the BEST deal that I have seen is a 2002 Yellow/Black 6mt NSX with around 38,000 miles for around $37K...so if next year I can find something like this with a little more miles but for a little less money then I'm in!

The Corvette Z06 is a great car. If my wife liked them a lot this would be the car that we would get...because it is up there on the list but the only thing that keeps the NSX a littler higher is because she LOVES it too...and being a female she doesn't care if it's not the fastest car out on the streets. but the little boy inside me still cares about this a little. lol maybe I can mod the NSX to my liking without braking the bank?
Old 08-03-10, 09:52 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

I'd take the NSX over the others you listed because of the looks/price. It will also hold resale better than most other cars in its price range.
Old 08-03-10, 09:53 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
What about an S2000?
my thoughts exactly......
Old 08-03-10, 10:04 AM
Plum
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always like the NSX.
Check out this onhttp://www.martinautogalleryinc.com/newandusedcars/195/625783/5ebf2538-7df7-4006-aac8-402aab21adc2/1992-Acura-NSX.aspxe.
Little older but great shape, lower miles and 6 speed.
Give Ron a call if you are interested.
Old 08-03-10, 10:09 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

CanAm Spyder

Two seater, but no doors...

Old 08-03-10, 10:16 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
...and thanks jaseman.

I always viewed the Miata (and I am sorry to offend anyone) as a girls car; especially that my older sister had one; blasting her dance music in the mid 90's lol....
I used to think the same thing, then I drove one It's a constant grin from ear to ear. Love my IS-300, but every time I go down a twisty backroad, I miss the old Miata. It really is a car designed for the enthusiast on a budget. (and yes, I've become a bit of a fan-boy for them )

I'll also second the S2000 for a fun, weekend car under $30k, as well as the Z3/Z4. But if you really like the idea of an 'exotic', the NSX is your best bet for that kind of money (maybe your only choice without getting into a 20 year old car)
Old 08-03-10, 10:18 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
CanAm Spyder

Two seater, but no doors...

Have you ridden one? Personally, I was a bit disappointed, but the wife loved it.

Quick Reply: My wife and I want a cool "weekend car" for next year