Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Sonata on BBS LM's...SiCk!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 12:02 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm not going to beat up the Sonata too much for copying as most companies do it. Its very rare to see a true clean design. I do give them credit for trying, I mean its pretty amazing to see this one compared to the last one.

Like the Mazda grill, Toyota weird, Honda ugly, Mitsubishi ugly I just don't like the fish design. Sorry. Its odd as I liked it originally.
I think it's a sign this car won't age well. Now that I've seen the new Sonata on the road quite a bit, I like it even less now than I did before.
Old 08-04-10, 04:24 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I think it's a sign this car won't age well. Now that I've seen the new Sonata on the road quite a bit, I like it even less now than I did before.
My neighbor has a new Sonata and new Genesis parked in his driveway. While the Sonata is okay, the Genesis looks better and better... quite a car!!!!

The Sonata is fine to me, I just don't like it "riced" like the topic of the original post
Old 08-04-10, 04:51 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it'll look nice without the bodykit.
Old 08-04-10, 07:48 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen
dude they look nothing alike! the lines don't even make sense on the solara and the grill is as close to a camry grille as a apple is similar to an orange!

I'll call out a copy cat any time of day but c'mon ben! seriously!
BBQ maybe???

Old 08-04-10, 08:50 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is totally senseless, so now hyundai is so desperate that they lost their identity in design ? Uh fyi, hyundai has never had a identity with their design untill the genesis sedan came out....

and they just had record profits year over year month over month....but that just makes hyundai too desperate to get ahead of toyota ? where do u get this logic ? it's just ridiculous!

anyhow it's way too soon to see how everything plays out....let's talk in a year or two. The change in perception takes time but it's going to happen. The new elantra rocks, and then the equus hits the roads....after hyundai, kia introduces the new optima and cadenza which are some amazing looking sedans.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I totally agree and this is something I've talked about for a while, and thought of for a long time now.

Hyundai, like some other Korean companies, is pushing design to extreme levels to the point of being garish, brash, and gaudy.

Just a bit of clarification, but I believe Shreyer is head of design at Kia, while Mr. Oh is head of design at Hyundai. Hyundai's previous head of North American design has now gone to Mercedes to work in their North American design center. Mr. Oh is Hyundai's design director, Phillip A Zak (formely of GM Europe design) reports directly to him and he is in charge of North American design. Thomas Buerkle is head of Hyundai Europe design (formely from BMW). Zak was also a senior designer at GM North America during a short time in the 1990s. Even the designers that Hyundai has seems like a big hodge-podge of former designers from various competitors.

There was a lot of hype from Hyundai marketers and supporters online when he new Sonata debuted. Even for a short time on CL there was a rush of Hyundai supporters that praised the new Sonata sky high. A few of these supporters are still on CL.

Sales of the new Sonata started strong, and already have fallen below the 20K mark for several months. Despite all the problems Toyota had earlier this year, it still has not affected Camry sales that much. The Camry had double the sales of the Sonata last month for instance.

Many people don't want to talk about it or admit it, but I think this extreme push in design by Hyundai is related to management style of Hyundai and how the corporation is run in general, which is a dictatorial or authoritarian style. The incoherent identity of Hyundai models, the garishness of many of their new designs, and the brashness of their marketing (mainly their online marketing) is all a reflection of the authoritarian way the company is run.

The Sonata having a confused identity I think reflects Hyundai having a confused identity. Hyundai is so desperate to get ahead of the competition, that in their desperation they've started to slip and overlook quite a few things that are important for long-term success.

You're right, you don't know what new and original is if you think the new Sonata is original. It's new for sure, but it's not original.

Last edited by mikemareen; 08-04-10 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-04-10, 08:56 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

actually i like it
Old 08-04-10, 09:47 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i dont get what some of yall are smoking but... this thing is perdy dam sick!
Old 08-04-10, 10:56 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikemareen
and they just had record profits year over year month over month....but that just makes hyundai too desperate to get ahead of toyota ? where do u get this logic ? it's just ridiculous!
trdfantasy is the same guy that claimed that Hyundai was "arrogant" for having their headquarters in a skyscraper. After that, I realized that there's no point in trying to make sense of anything he writes.
Old 08-04-10, 11:12 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must say that I am SHOCKED at some of the comments here.

I think the Sonata is very nice stock and this modified one looks sick GREAT!

Not every can afford or wants to spend a ton of money on a car yet still wants a nice hot looking customized ride.

Hyundai is on a major roll and they are making some excellent cars. I think they are selling very well according to what I have heard.

Again, surprised at the negative opinions here. The car's color, matchin color wheels, kit, drop etc. look really great. Tastefully done.
Old 08-04-10, 11:28 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ted920
Again, surprised at the negative opinions here. The car's color, matchin color wheels, kit, drop etc. look really great. Tastefully done.
There's a handful of vocal Hyundai haters on this board. I don't see this much hate on Hyundai in any other car forum.
Old 08-04-10, 11:42 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by madoka
There's a handful of vocal Hyundai haters on this board. I don't see this much hate on Hyundai in any other car forum.
Really?

Try some of the Bimmer or Benz forums before you believe in that last statement and you will see some top shelf haters. BTW I like what Hyundai is doing but does not mean everyone will like every design they produce, we are talking about a modded car based on the owners taste. Hell long as he thinks it hot cool, people have a right to their opinions.
Old 08-04-10, 11:47 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where are all the "I bought a Hyundai" threads located?
Old 08-04-10, 11:49 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The new Sonata looks allright, not really better or worse than Camry and Accord. I personally don't really care about it, or any other car in it's segment. They are all boring basic transportation, none of them are original, but more like weird - and that applies to Camry, Accord and Sonata. I'd rather see cars in this segment go back to conservative styling of the 90ies.

This modified Sonata however is just ridiculous and ugly. I don't get it why people molest their cars in such way. It costs a ton of money to buy and install the parts, and as a result you get ridiculous looks, completely destroy driveability, reliability, practicality, handling, braking, etc.
Old 08-04-10, 11:54 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tee
Really?

Try some of the Bimmer or Benz forums before you believe in that last statement and you will see some top shelf haters. BTW I like what Hyundai is doing but does not mean everyone will like every design they produce, we are talking about a modded car based on the owners taste. Hell long as he thinks it hot cool, people have a right to their opinions.
I see a lot of Lexus bashing in MB forums. I don't go to BMW forums - too many idiots acting snobby because they're leasing a 1-series. I figure fanbois will bash what they are most insecure about. Hence, you're more likely to see Hyundai bashing on Toyota, Nissan and Honda boards, because fanbois would view Hyundai as a competitor.
Old 08-04-10, 12:04 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
This modified Sonata however is just ridiculous and ugly. I don't get it why people molest their cars in such way.
Given how many people in this thread think it looks great, could it possibly be *gasp* people have different opinions on style?

Quick Reply: New Sonata on BBS LM's...SiCk!!!