Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Secures Supra Trademark

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-10, 09:15 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baddis es

stroke the IS350/GS350 motor to 3.8L and put out a healthy N/A 370hp motor...i'd be happy with that
no no no no no....it need to be modifiable to 400+ whp to be effective against the competition, and to carry on the Supra name properly. I hope to God they offer a TURBO. If so, I am 100% in.

Originally Posted by baddis es
and it better have a targa top too
or some kind of power-sliding top like on the FT-HS concept
Old 07-31-10, 01:56 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn, I should have applied for it!! lol
Old 07-31-10, 04:14 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by replica
no no no no no....it need to be modifiable to 400+ whp to be effective against the competition, and to carry on the Supra name properly. I hope to God they offer a TURBO. If so, I am 100% in.
I think a version of the IS-F's UR series V8 is needed here.
Old 07-31-10, 04:15 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nthach
I think a version of the IS-F's UR series V8 is needed here.
boosted.
Old 07-31-10, 11:44 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reports about the ft-86 say there will be presumably 3 'trims' or models. and one of them is said to have a turbo, which might be the top level trim. So this might mean the 'supra' gets at least the power of this. so base FT-86, mid level and then upper level with a turbo. I'm thinking Subaru STI equivalent. Sounds good for the supra if it comes back... it has to slate above the FT, so I expect the highest FT with 300hp- like the wrx sti, and the new supra to be above that, so hopefully at least 350HP-450HP
Old 08-01-10, 10:37 PM
LexFather

Everything I have heard is the Supra is based on a separate model and will use a 400hp hybrid engine.

The chief engineer for the FT-86 insists on low mass and inertia and no platform sharing with 5 or 6 other vehicles.

Old 08-02-10, 01:17 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which is what I believe as well. The FT is low weight, a drift worthy car, but has 3 levels according to reports I've read. I'm just stating that since the FT is supposed to have a high level with close to or a bit above 300HP, the Supra, if coming back, will have to slate above this highest level of the FT, so I would expect at least 350-450HP. Hopefully based off the FT-HS! That car looked good IMO.
Old 08-02-10, 09:19 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Come on now! If toyota can make a sporty minivan (sienna SE), they gotta have a sports car----supra
Old 02-13-13, 10:53 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Update

MotorTrend reports on some details surrounding the much-anticipated, yet so far rumored return of the infamous Toyota Supra. The rumor was substantiated even more when news about an agreement between BMW and Toyota collaborating on a sports car surfaced not too long ago.

So far, MT speculates that Toyota may reveal a production Supra by the end of 2017 as a hybrid model at the Tokyo Motor Show. The possible powertrain to be is a turbocharged 2.5L inline-4 good for at least 400hp.

However, there is a distinct possibility that a mid-engined Supra could also see fruition with a 3.5L V6 hybrid powertrain.

Insiders supposedly shared with MT that the next generation BMW Z4 will also benefit from the lessons learned about this BMW and Toyota collaboration. On the other side, Toyota will apparently base this new Supra off of the current Toyota GT86 platform, except in larger proportions and with reinforcements to better handle the extra power. And BMW will be there to step in with expertise on suspension settings and handling with the Toyota. However, I don’t know exactly why after the brand built their outrageous Lexus LF-A, which Jeremy Clarkson recently said was the best car he has ever driven in a recent Top Gear episode.

So far, Toyota’s GT86 engineer, Tetsuya Tada, is said to be spearheading the project and that a concept car is due at this year’s Tokyo Motor Show. In the meantime, BMW is also said to be working sacrilegiously on a hybrid V6 unit for this Supra successor…wait…did I just read that right?
Old 02-13-13, 11:01 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sooo much speculation and rumors.

All from "insiders".

Look, businesses brainstorm. A good chunk of that never becomes anything more than an idea.

Best way to find out if this is for reals: go check patents, trademarks, copyrights, and such. And you'll find either nothing or something...
Old 02-13-13, 11:21 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS69

MotorTrend reports on some details surrounding the much-anticipated, yet so far rumored return of the infamous Toyota Supra. The rumor was substantiated even more when news about an agreement between BMW and Toyota collaborating on a sports car surfaced not too long ago.

So far, MT speculates that Toyota may reveal a production Supra by the end of 2017 as a hybrid model at the Tokyo Motor Show. The possible powertrain to be is a turbocharged 2.5L inline-4 good for at least 400hp.

However, there is a distinct possibility that a mid-engined Supra could also see fruition with a 3.5L V6 hybrid powertrain.

Insiders supposedly shared with MT that the next generation BMW Z4 will also benefit from the lessons learned about this BMW and Toyota collaboration. On the other side, Toyota will apparently base this new Supra off of the current Toyota GT86 platform, except in larger proportions and with reinforcements to better handle the extra power. And BMW will be there to step in with expertise on suspension settings and handling with the Toyota. However, I don’t know exactly why after the brand built their outrageous Lexus LF-A, which Jeremy Clarkson recently said was the best car he has ever driven in a recent Top Gear episode.

So far, Toyota’s GT86 engineer, Tetsuya Tada, is said to be spearheading the project and that a concept car is due at this year’s Tokyo Motor Show. In the meantime, BMW is also said to be working sacrilegiously on a hybrid V6 unit for this Supra successor…wait…did I just read that right?
LOL the speculations are all over the place. First it says it's based on the 86, then it says it could be mid-engined. And then both a turbo 2.5L I-4 hybrid and a 3.5L V6 hybrid are possible? Just another made-up story of the Supra as usual.

Hopefully the upcoming Tokyo Motor Show will show us something serious this time.
Old 02-13-13, 11:21 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say this new Supra, if it comes back, would have to compete with the GT-R and/or Corvette. The 370Z should be a snack to this new Supra and if it has to be hybrid so be it. Regardless, I am 100% in to see a NEW Toyota Supra at dealerships with in the next 5 years.
Old 02-13-13, 11:52 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Base price should be around $80K I'd imagine
Old 02-13-13, 08:17 PM
LexFather

Yawn... Wake me when it's here

Old 02-13-13, 09:03 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Does anybody else get extremely annoyed by those that think anything Toyota (or its subsidiaries) creates with 2 doors is somehow related to the Supra?

FRS? SUPRA!
LFA? SUPRA!
SC430? SUPRA!
LF-LC? SUPRA!
LF-CC? SUPRA!
GT-86? SUPRA!

Quick Reply: Toyota Secures Supra Trademark