Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So you like that brunette in the Progressive ads......?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-10, 08:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default So you like that brunette in the Progressive ads......?

A somewhat dated article...but here's the real story behind that cute but goofy brunette in the Progressive insurance ads. Like GEICO's cave man/ green lizard/money-stack eyes, Allstate's smooth-talking, deep-voiced salesman, and the cartoon General driving around in the sports car, she has become one of the most well-known figures in TV insurance ads.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/18186814/detail.html

She's bubbly and beaming, high-volume, with a flip of dark hair and a face like a lollipop. She irks as she endears, bemuses as she bewitches. She's a bundle of energetic contradictions, bursting here, retracting there. Her expressions blink and change like a neon sign. Her eyes are popping globes. And she just sold you a bunch of car insurance.

Flo is her name. She's the spokeswoman for Progressive Auto Insurance, lighting up televisions in a series of commercials seen on WSB-TV Channel 2 in which her perky cashier pitches the money-saving merits of Progressive to customers. She works in a sterile, all-white big-box store, and her florid makeup stands out like paint spilled in snow.

First she caught our eye; now she's snatched our heart. Viewers are smitten. They're crushin'. They want to know: Who's that girl?

From a recent blog at HoustonPress.com, with the headline "The Cult of the Progressive Car Insurance Chick":

"Am I the only one completely and totally enamored of the woman in the television ads for Progressive car insurance? You know, the ones starring that babelicious brunette named Flo with her 'tricked-out name tag' and her '60s style eye makeup and her kissable red, red lips?"

No, sir, you are not. There's more where that mash-note came from, out there in the blogosphere's infinite confessional space: "She's hot." "She's weird but, God, she's fine!"

Others have naughtier ideas that they're perfectly comfortable sharing with the world, even if we can't do so here.

"It's so weird," says Stephanie Courtney, the actress who plays Flo.

We spoke to Courtney because we had to. We had to know if she was real or just a cartoon character. If she was at all like the effervescent Flo. If she really wore that much make-up and, hey, who does your hair?

Courtney, 38, has been playing Flo for about a year, and was recently signed to do 12 more Progressive ads. Which makes her the face and voice of Progressive, a peer of the Geico gecko (do they ever hang out, compare rates?) and the Verizon guy. She follows in a heady tradition of corporate mascots, from Palmolive's Madge to Tony the Tiger

It's been quite a ride for Courtney, a senior member of famed Los Angeles improv troupe the Groundlings. (Courtney and the group performed in September during the Out of Bounds Improv Sketch Comedy Festival in Austin.)

It began with a simple audition for a commercial last fall. She showed up in a polo shirt and ponytail. She did some improvisation.

"They wanted someone with a lot of personality," Courtney says by phone from her Los Angeles home.

They liked her and signed her.

Then, the look. That look.

They cut her hair, gave her bangs. They subjected her to two hours of hair and make-up.

"They tease my hair, spray it and stick the headband in it," Courtney explains.

"And the makeup is like painting a portrait on my face," she says, laughing. "It's insane. It totally changes things on my face. It's like having a mask on."

One of Flo's best-known lines is: "Wow! I say it louder." (You had to be there.)

Courtney has popped up in the movies "The Heartbreak Kid" and "Blades of Glory," and was one of four leads in the smart adult comedy "Melvin Goes to Dinner," which won the audience award at South by Southwest in 2003. She also has a recurring role as a gossipy switchboard operator on the hit show "Mad Men." And you can see her doing yoga in a new Glade commercial.

How much is Courtney like flamboyant Flo?

"It's me at my silliest," she says. "You start off with a script, but at the end they usually let me put a little zinger in there. We put a little mustard on it. That's when it gets fun.

"Flo could be one of my improv characters, always on and sort of cracked in a weird way."

But who is Flo? What is she? People wonder ...

Like this blogger: "Is it her fabulous comic timing, her over-the-top facial expressions, her cute-as-a-button retro flip? Or is it the slight hint of a bad girl that lies just under the surface? The promise of a tattoo under that checkout girl uniform? The possibility of a motorcycle parked out back?"

Her character has been compared to a vintage Vargas pin-up girl, '50s burlesque dancer Betty Page and, adds Courtney, a "fetish chick."

"I don't know what it is," she says. "The way I play her, she's pretty much the most asexual thing on TV right now. I think the Geico lizard puts out more sexual vibes than Flo does. But I do think the cavemen are totally crushable."

Though Courtney is engaged to a sixth-grade teacher, Flo appears alluringly single. So pine away, in the same brunette-crush way you did with Mary Ann on "Gilligan's Island" and Velma on "Scooby-Doo."

Because things couldn't get much stranger than they already are for Courtney. Top this: People are dressing up as Flo for Halloween.

"That makes me so happy. But I do have to warn them that it takes two hours in hair and make-up," she says. "I wish them luck."

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-29-10 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-29-10, 09:31 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

There was a open casting call for a sidekick for Flo in LA about 3 months ago.
Old 07-29-10, 10:58 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

She says she has a 900cc V-Twin motorcycle.

THERE'S NO SUCH THING!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt1kxpRygIo

Old 07-30-10, 02:10 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like allstate because it's president david palmer selling the insurance.
Old 07-30-10, 04:06 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I find her annoying and as far as looks go,she's a 6.
Old 07-30-10, 04:41 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the KGB brunette a whole lot better
Old 07-30-10, 06:00 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by joeb427
i find her annoying and as far as looks go,she's a 6.

+1..................
Old 07-30-10, 06:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I find her annoying and as far as looks go,she's a 6.

Yes, she's more like the girl next door than a beauty queen or fashion model.
Old 07-30-10, 06:30 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
She says she has a 900cc V-Twin motorcycle.

THERE'S NO SUCH THING!!!

Tsk tsk - from one motorcycle guy to another - shame on you.

Kawasaki Vulcan 900:

Old 07-30-10, 09:26 AM
LexFather

We had a fairly large thread about the ads here...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...ht=progressive

I am not a fan either...some good info in the thread about her

Old 07-30-10, 09:32 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMax96
Tsk tsk - from one motorcycle guy to another - shame on you.

Kawasaki Vulcan 900:

Beat me to it...
Old 07-30-10, 10:23 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I actually met her sister a couple months back. She was working some book/literature conference in Philly. I asked if "Flo" was like that in person and said she was, but not as intense. The sis I met was kind of funny too.
Old 07-30-10, 11:10 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flo blows. I'm tired of seeing her on tv. 6 at best.
Old 07-30-10, 02:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Like the GEICO cave men she has gotten old real quick.
Old 07-30-10, 02:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Like the GEICO cave men she has gotten old real quick.
The similarity is striking. (but I see your point).

Quick Reply: So you like that brunette in the Progressive ads......?