Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Man spends nearly $200,000 to win right to park truck in his own driveway

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 01:12 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
Wrong. I live in a neighborhood without an HOA and it is one of the nicer ones in the area. I mean my neighbor across the street has two brand new Yukon Denalis, a Gallardo, and had a modified 996TT. So...we're not exactly doing too badly for ourselves here.

This is exactly what it is. Uniform neighborhoods (tract home HOAs/neighborhoods) and nice neighborhoods are two completely different things. I live a couple blocks away from a neighborhood with an HOA - it's the richest area in this part of town. What's different about it is that these are near million dollar homes (I live in Michigan, keep in mind it might be cheaper than other areas, but we get a lot more for the money) and it isn't owned and operated by a single developer. So it actually works because the members of the HOA are educated/well off individuals that actually have background in business, money, management, development, etc.

See, there's also a difference in HOAs for middle-class suburbs, and HOAs for upper-middle and upper class neighborhoods. The middle class ones tends to have the old retirees and stay-at-home moms that have nothing better to do than to keep themselves busy and make themselves seem important and necessary for the HOA.
Me too--I live in a nice neighborhood, with about 250 homes. Almost all of them are kept nice--except one or 2. BUT without a HOA, there's NOTHING anyone can do. You can leave a nasty note in your neighbor's mailbox--but that's it. With a HOA, there is an association, and actual rules that may be enforced. I'd rather take my chances in a nice neighborhood without a HOA that most people will keep up their homes, than have a HOA run amok. We've all read stories about some army vet who gets fined for flying an american flag because it's against the HOA rules.
Old 08-01-10, 03:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
He won $187K from a Home Owner's Association. HOA's don't have income--they assess the residents thru dues to pay for things. I doubt they had $187K for his legal fees PLUS their own legal fees sitting parked in their budget. Unless it's covered by insurance, all the homeowners need to kick in to pay this money. He won--the residents lost.

EXACTLY the point I was making in my long, earlier post. And, even if insurance covers it, the HOA's policy-rates are likely to go up...which probably means higher monthly condo-fees for everyone to cover it (including, BTW, his own, though that 187K will cover a lot of them)
Old 08-01-10, 05:48 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

EXACTLY the point I was making in my long, earlier post. And, even if insurance covers it, the HOA's policy-rates are likely to go up...which probably means higher monthly condo-fees for everyone to cover it (including, BTW, his own, though that 187K will cover a lot of them)
then they should sue the board for letting it get that far, these people do not know when to back off, huge ego's end up costing people a lot of money
Old 06-17-11, 08:33 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs down Coral Gables

If you live in snooty Coral Gables, Fla., you had better pay attention to where you park your pickup. The city is going to start enforcing a ban on overnight parking for pickups outdoors -- including your own truck in your own driveway -- and will start with warnings, then $100 tickets.

The Miami Herald reports that Coral Gables, which bans trucks from parking on city streets or in driveways from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., will start giving warnings now, and later tickets, to owners of pickups who do not pull them into their garages at night.

Since the 1960s, the city has banned people from parking their trucks in their driveways or on city streets overnight. But in 2003 a resident filed a lawsuit objecting to the ban and the case reached the Florida Supreme Court this year. The court has refused to hear the case, letting the city's pickup ban stand, so Coral Gables will start enforcing it again.

Truck fans say the rule is outdated, since pickups are no longer just work trucks and are common family transportation. And some pickups are every bit as luxurious -- and pricey -- as any luxury car. Such as that Cadillac Escalade EXT above.

The Herald says after Aug. 8, Coral Gables will hit pickup owners with $100 citations for the 1st violation and up to $500 for the 2nd or more violations.
Old 06-17-11, 08:40 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

complete BS if you ask me.
Old 06-17-11, 09:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

wow, started reading this thread only to realize a while in that it's a year old.

anyway, HOAs can be good or bad, not always bad. however, even if they're good for someone, they can later become bad, so no guarantees.

not having one at all though and just 'buying land and building' means your neighbor is free to do so too - with his 100 crazy dogs, chickens and an orange house
Old 06-17-11, 01:14 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wow, started reading this thread only to realize a while in that it's a year old.

anyway, HOAs can be good or bad, not always bad. however, even if they're good for someone, they can later become bad, so no guarantees.

not having one at all though and just 'buying land and building' means your neighbor is free to do so too - with his 100 crazy dogs, chickens and an orange house
Which is prob less likely then an HOA saying you cannot park in your truck in your driveway
Old 06-17-11, 02:57 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I grew up in the country. We had neighbors with fighting chickens, goats, horses and all kinds of stuff. Broken down cars in the driveway. I even had a wrecked SC400 parked in the front yards of my dads house for almost 2 years. Its just the way of life. Value of the area is is still $600K- a million.

My personal house has an HOA, but the first thing I asked was if we could part cars in front of our garage in our own driveway which we can. Although not marked, technically the space in front of our own garage has a stall numbers on record, thus it is considered additional stalls that was purchase with the house. My next house I want something that has no HOA though just because it starts to cost a lot of money over the years for HOA and Maintenance fees.
Old 06-17-11, 06:21 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the type of thing I never get in regards to lawsuits. If you told the guy you will make an exception and let him park in his drive way, you don't just "suddenly" change your mind and expect that nothing will happen. What makes me actually chuckle at this is that the courts agreed which means the home owner had it in writing, or one of the board members made a statement in court saying that they had an agreement. Either way, they put themselves in a losing position, and than they decided to spend more time and money by appealling the decision! I just can't blame the guy in this case, even if he screws over everyone else in HoA fees because it was the board that caused this mess.
Old 06-17-11, 06:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69

If you live in snooty Coral Gables, Fla., you had better pay attention to where you park your pickup. The city is going to start enforcing a ban on overnight parking for pickups outdoors -- including your own truck in your own driveway -- and will start with warnings, then $100 tickets.

The Miami Herald reports that Coral Gables, which bans trucks from parking on city streets or in driveways from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., will start giving warnings now, and later tickets, to owners of pickups who do not pull them into their garages at night.

Since the 1960s, the city has banned people from parking their trucks in their driveways or on city streets overnight. But in 2003 a resident filed a lawsuit objecting to the ban and the case reached the Florida Supreme Court this year. The court has refused to hear the case, letting the city's pickup ban stand, so Coral Gables will start enforcing it again.

Truck fans say the rule is outdated, since pickups are no longer just work trucks and are common family transportation. And some pickups are every bit as luxurious -- and pricey -- as any luxury car. Such as that Cadillac Escalade EXT above.

The Herald says after Aug. 8, Coral Gables will hit pickup owners with $100 citations for the 1st violation and up to $500 for the 2nd or more violations.

seems harsh but in the end how many residents of a neighborhood like that drive pick ups. Pick ups are for service people in their minds and they don't want to see that crap parked on the street. Put it in your garage. I see their point as well.
Old 06-17-11, 07:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
seems harsh but in the end how many residents of a neighborhood like that drive pick ups. Pick ups are for service people in their minds and they don't want to see that crap parked on the street. Put it in your garage. I see their point as well.
so 40k Pickup is for service people but 12k Versa is ok?

that makes no sense at all.
Old 06-17-11, 09:36 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Post FAIL.

'Course doctors that drive crappy 328's or C-classes should be excused compared to those driving $50K pick up trucks...lol.
Old 06-17-11, 10:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

some trucks are damn expensive and nice. some big size suvs are nothing different from trucks (and they are even truck base), but they are ok to be on driveways? come on

i have seen tons of people using crossover and suv for business use too

fact is, truck is no longer the same kind of definitions as it was 30 yrs ago anymore.
Old 06-17-11, 11:40 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Lame...
Maybe they need some rides like these on the driveway
Attached Thumbnails Man spends nearly 0,000 to win right to park truck in his own driveway-dually0042.jpg   Man spends nearly 0,000 to win right to park truck in his own driveway-slammed-2004-chevrolet-3500-crew-cab-dually.jpg   Man spends nearly 0,000 to win right to park truck in his own driveway-big1231508385_slammed_dually_chevy_silverado_1-800-600.jpg   Man spends nearly 0,000 to win right to park truck in his own driveway-0803st_01_z-1989_gmc-hauling.jpg   Man spends nearly 0,000 to win right to park truck in his own driveway-1002_8l_01_-2005_dodge_ram_3500_dually-front_left_view.jpg  

Old 06-19-11, 07:11 AM
Roid Rage
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The idea that you can't park your car in your driveway is insane.

Quick Reply: Man spends nearly $200,000 to win right to park truck in his own driveway