Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's with the leg room in the Benz

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-10, 02:42 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's with the leg room in the Benz

Went to look at the E63 AMG as they are discounting it a bit with the new tt engine about to come out so the first thing I did was to sit in the car and check out all the new features. I switch to the passenger side play with the seats a little then go and sit in the back, seems like the rear seats are a bit more roomy it doesn't feel as cramped as my W211 especially getting in and out of the car.

Then I noticed how thick the seat back are so after adjusting the front seats so they are comfortable to me then I get back in the rear and noticed the extra room is now offset by the thicker seat backs so the leg room in the back is about the same or less than my current W211. One thing I always complained about my E class is the lack of leg room and the W212 seems to fix it just to take it back with the thick seats.

BMW's new 5 is even worse with their even thicker seat backs. I mean just take a look at this. It's almost like the engineers made the car roomy and then deciede it's too good for the people so they added the extra useless padding to take away the extra space. At least it looks like you can just rip out the added part and add about 5 inches of knee room there.
Attached Thumbnails What's with the leg room in the Benz-bmw5.jpg  

Last edited by Stormwind; 07-29-10 at 02:45 AM.
Old 07-29-10, 10:03 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

not sure what the regulations are for seat design, so I cant comment on whether or not there is a required thickness for impact protection. But Im guessing with ventilated/heated seats, massage, and electronic side bolsters, the seats need to be able to accomodate all the wires.
Old 07-29-10, 10:17 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lexus IS250 and IS350 are known for having "throne-like" seats that waste valuable space for rear passengers. If I remember correctly side airbags are mounted in these seats.
Old 07-29-10, 10:55 AM
LexFather

I agree the 5 seats are just huge, I sat in them yesterday. The car is a lot bigger now so rear seat room is fine.

The new E class rear is also a better place to be.

Very good observations!

Old 07-29-10, 11:34 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

I didn't find the new E-Class backseat to be very roomy. I even compared them to be barely roomier than the new C-class backseat (and it is very small).
Old 07-29-10, 11:37 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interior of the new 5 is really nice...just sayin
Old 07-29-10, 12:38 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
not sure what the regulations are for seat design, so I cant comment on whether or not there is a required thickness for impact protection. But Im guessing with ventilated/heated seats, massage, and electronic side bolsters, the seats need to be able to accomodate all the wires.
what he said.
Old 07-29-10, 12:41 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm wondering about that too, I do recall such statements being applied to the 2IS, but in the past, the ES has been noted for a sculpted seatback for more room; the current LS seatback manages to fit many features with a curved seatback...airlines these days are moving to slimline seats in economy.

Old 07-30-10, 05:17 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by encore888
I'm wondering about that too, I do recall such statements being applied to the 2IS, but in the past, the ES has been noted for a sculpted seatback for more room; the current LS seatback manages to fit many features with a curved seatback...airlines these days are moving to slimline seats in economy.

The LS got it right with those seats. That extra room makes it a lot more comfortable.
Old 07-31-10, 03:40 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

If I remember correctly, the seats of all W211 E classes have little enclaves at their rear designed to offer more space for the rear occupants legs. I know my ex-E230 had them.

Here's a picture I found on the 'Net.

The last-generation E class was one of the roomiest cars, front and back, I've ever experienced.
Old 07-31-10, 04:26 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

As baby boomers, the ones with the disposable income that buy these cars new, become empty nesters, they don't really care about rear seat roominess in cars. If they are carrying passengers, they often have another vehicle like a SUV or crossover for that.
Old 07-31-10, 09:11 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

my C class has the knee indents as well for the rear passengers. Im just a 6 ft and I cant fit behind me in my own car. The seats are quite thick, and it doesnt pack much in them since it only has heated seats.
Old 07-31-10, 09:22 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I had an ES350 which didn't have leg indentations. My legs fit well "behind myself," but the roof is too low in that model. Always brushed the headliner even in the driver's seat.

Can't beat minivans/MPVs for 2nd row passenger comfort.
Old 07-31-10, 10:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Scalloped front-seat backs are used in a number of vehcles today to add to rear knee room. But RXSF makes a good point about some premium-front seats needing extra thickness to accomodate the hardware for all the built-in comforts.
Old 07-31-10, 10:40 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think its funny that those shots are taken with the seats forward that much. The Lexus people must think their customers are elves and dwarves . As indicated by the rear seats in the 2IS. LOL

Quick Reply: What's with the leg room in the Benz