Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's with the leg room in the Benz

Old 07-31-10, 06:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think its funny that those shots are taken with the seats forward that much. The Lexus people must think their customers are elves and dwarves . As indicated by the rear seats in the 2IS. LOL
Every brand takes the pics with the seats forward. It would be idiotic to take a pic of the seats all the way back. Most people don't need the front seats all the way back.

Then you take a shot at the IS for some odd reason. Well sit in the back of the C/3/A4 and it ain't much better, let alone previous generations. Do they think elves and dwarfs (not dwarves) buy their cars too?
Originally Posted by DustinV
If I remember correctly, the seats of all W211 E classes have little enclaves at their rear designed to offer more space for the rear occupants legs. I know my ex-E230 had them.

Here's a picture I found on the 'Net.

The last-generation E class was one of the roomiest cars, front and back, I've ever experienced.

How short are you? I find the last E class rear room average at best and no better than any GS I've sat in.

Old 08-01-10, 03:23 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

only flagship cars have excellent leg room in the rear. so what's new?
Old 08-02-10, 11:40 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
only flagship cars have excellent leg room in the rear. so what's new?
A lot of mid size/compact cars have good room in the back seat. ES 350 is far from being a flagship but it has a lot of leg room, Honda's compact CRV at only 177 inches long has a spaceous back seat. In the case of E class and 5 serius is just from lack of good engineering for the interior space.
Old 08-02-10, 04:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, it's not a big issue (rear seat legroom is adequate+) even if our observations about seatback thickness and squandered room are valid. Both the E-class and 5 series sell well in volume at high ASP's and with high profit margins.
Old 08-02-10, 09:58 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
A lot of mid size/compact cars have good room in the back seat. ES 350 is far from being a flagship but it has a lot of leg room, Honda's compact CRV at only 177 inches long has a spaceous back seat. In the case of E class and 5 serius is just from lack of good engineering for the interior space.
we shall agree to disagree... "I" believe ES and others have "adequate" room, but thats about it (not roomy at all).
Old 08-03-10, 06:48 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
How short are you? I find the last E class rear room average at best and no better than any GS I've sat in.
I'm 6'4".

Between the last generation E class and current GS, the E feels much roomier inside. I didn't feel very comfortable at all in the current GS: front and back. My biggest gripe with the current GS is the unusually wide transmission tunnel upfront, which takes up valuable foot/leg space, especially for tall people such as myself. The rear of the GS was also cramped for my tastes.

I realize that as an ex-W211 E class driver I may sound biased, but that car was very roomy inside, moreso than its rivals (A6, 5er etc.). Even with the driver's seat pushed back halfway, the rear leg room, for me, is comfortable. I didn't get that same feeling in the current E class, though.
Old 08-03-10, 08:07 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
I'm 6'4".

Between the last generation E class and current GS, the E feels much roomier inside. I didn't feel very comfortable at all in the current GS: front and back. My biggest gripe with the current GS is the unusually wide transmission tunnel upfront, which takes up valuable foot/leg space, especially for tall people such as myself. The rear of the GS was also cramped for my tastes.

I realize that as an ex-W211 E class driver I may sound biased, but that car was very roomy inside, moreso than its rivals (A6, 5er etc.). Even with the driver's seat pushed back halfway, the rear leg room, for me, is comfortable. I didn't get that same feeling in the current E class, though.
Well I'm 6"5 and the rear of the previous E class is not great and no better than the GS. I found the last gen 5 series to have more room and the M35/45 (not sold in Europe) roomier as the current A6. I found the current E-class to be much better in the rear and the new 5 series has an even larger back seat.

As KillerGS said D class flagships offer much better legroom, especially in LWB form. I sat in the rear of a LWB 750 and LS 460 recently and it was fantastic!

Old 08-03-10, 08:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

after driving and sitting in the new e and 5, i also notice the rear cabin leg room is less than their respective previous generation. but at the same time i think it's still "adequate" for what it is. i wouldn't compare it to any of the flagship (swb or lwb), those are just spacious

but at the same time, playing from my memory, i remember my gs400 had very good rear cabin room. i have been with my gs350 for 3 years and the rear leg room is pretty bad, could be that makes me feel the new e and 5 are so much better. and lexus has been promoting about their front seat back design being so slim giving more room. honestly, i can't imagine what happens if they don't have this "slim" design...