What's with the leg room in the Benz - Page 2 - Club Lexus Forums


What's with the leg room in the Benz

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-10, 07:41 PM   #16
LexFather
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8ABMR View Post
I think its funny that those shots are taken with the seats forward that much. The Lexus people must think their customers are elves and dwarves . As indicated by the rear seats in the 2IS. LOL
Every brand takes the pics with the seats forward. It would be idiotic to take a pic of the seats all the way back. Most people don't need the front seats all the way back.

Then you take a shot at the IS for some odd reason. Well sit in the back of the C/3/A4 and it ain't much better, let alone previous generations. Do they think elves and dwarfs (not dwarves) buy their cars too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinV View Post
If I remember correctly, the seats of all W211 E classes have little enclaves at their rear designed to offer more space for the rear occupants legs. I know my ex-E230 had them.

Here's a picture I found on the 'Net.


The last-generation E class was one of the roomiest cars, front and back, I've ever experienced.

How short are you? I find the last E class rear room average at best and no better than any GS I've sat in.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-10, 04:23 AM   #17
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion
 
KILLERGS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,159
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

only flagship cars have excellent leg room in the rear. so what's new?
KILLERGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 12:40 PM   #18
Stormwind
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 1,666
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLERGS4 View Post
only flagship cars have excellent leg room in the rear. so what's new?
A lot of mid size/compact cars have good room in the back seat. ES 350 is far from being a flagship but it has a lot of leg room, Honda's compact CRV at only 177 inches long has a spaceous back seat. In the case of E class and 5 serius is just from lack of good engineering for the interior space.
Stormwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 05:50 PM   #19
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: tech capital
Posts: 14,100
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

IMO, it's not a big issue (rear seat legroom is adequate+) even if our observations about seatback thickness and squandered room are valid. Both the E-class and 5 series sell well in volume at high ASP's and with high profit margins.
IS-SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 10:58 PM   #20
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion
 
KILLERGS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,159
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwind View Post
A lot of mid size/compact cars have good room in the back seat. ES 350 is far from being a flagship but it has a lot of leg room, Honda's compact CRV at only 177 inches long has a spaceous back seat. In the case of E class and 5 serius is just from lack of good engineering for the interior space.
we shall agree to disagree... "I" believe ES and others have "adequate" room, but thats about it (not roomy at all).
KILLERGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 07:48 AM   #21
DustinV
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stuttgart
Posts: 1,651
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX View Post
How short are you? I find the last E class rear room average at best and no better than any GS I've sat in.
I'm 6'4".

Between the last generation E class and current GS, the E feels much roomier inside. I didn't feel very comfortable at all in the current GS: front and back. My biggest gripe with the current GS is the unusually wide transmission tunnel upfront, which takes up valuable foot/leg space, especially for tall people such as myself. The rear of the GS was also cramped for my tastes.

I realize that as an ex-W211 E class driver I may sound biased, but that car was very roomy inside, moreso than its rivals (A6, 5er etc.). Even with the driver's seat pushed back halfway, the rear leg room, for me, is comfortable. I didn't get that same feeling in the current E class, though.
DustinV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 09:07 AM   #22
LexFather
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinV View Post
I'm 6'4".

Between the last generation E class and current GS, the E feels much roomier inside. I didn't feel very comfortable at all in the current GS: front and back. My biggest gripe with the current GS is the unusually wide transmission tunnel upfront, which takes up valuable foot/leg space, especially for tall people such as myself. The rear of the GS was also cramped for my tastes.

I realize that as an ex-W211 E class driver I may sound biased, but that car was very roomy inside, moreso than its rivals (A6, 5er etc.). Even with the driver's seat pushed back halfway, the rear leg room, for me, is comfortable. I didn't get that same feeling in the current E class, though.
Well I'm 6"5 and the rear of the previous E class is not great and no better than the GS. I found the last gen 5 series to have more room and the M35/45 (not sold in Europe) roomier as the current A6. I found the current E-class to be much better in the rear and the new 5 series has an even larger back seat.

As KillerGS said D class flagships offer much better legroom, especially in LWB form. I sat in the rear of a LWB 750 and LS 460 recently and it was fantastic!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 09:53 AM   #23
rominl
exclusive matchup
iTrader: (4)
 
rominl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lovely OC
Posts: 80,919
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

after driving and sitting in the new e and 5, i also notice the rear cabin leg room is less than their respective previous generation. but at the same time i think it's still "adequate" for what it is. i wouldn't compare it to any of the flagship (swb or lwb), those are just spacious

but at the same time, playing from my memory, i remember my gs400 had very good rear cabin room. i have been with my gs350 for 3 years and the rear leg room is pretty bad, could be that makes me feel the new e and 5 are so much better. and lexus has been promoting about their front seat back design being so slim giving more room. honestly, i can't imagine what happens if they don't have this "slim" design...
rominl is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LS vs GS vs IS for tall person? EcoGs21 LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) 13 07-11-15 02:29 PM
MM Full-Review: 2015 Lincoln MKC mmarshall Car Chat 93 07-30-14 10:26 AM
2013 RX 350 Rear Seat nmtomcat RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) 3 02-08-14 04:59 PM
Review: 2014 Kia Forte Hoovey2411 Car Chat 8 10-10-13 01:24 AM
My Initial IS350 Test Drive Impressions Ratman009 IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) 30 10-17-05 09:39 PM


Tags
01, a6, cars, class, ft, gs, im, leg, legroom, lexus, ls430, rear, room, roomy, small, space

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved