Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Tundra to Live On; Sequoia Will live on as well

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 09:09 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Toyota Tundra to Live On; Sequoia Will live on as well

The 2007-10 Toyota Tundra hasn’t been quite the success that Toyota envisioned, but that doesn’t mean the automaker is ready to give up on its sales-challenged half-ton hauler. The company is planning a thorough redesign of the truck, according to our sources.

The current Tundra was designed from the ground up to compete with full-size pickups from Chrysler, Ford and GM. On paper, the story was compelling. The Tundra featured a strong 5.7-liter V-8, could tow up to 10,800 pounds and was available in regular, extended-cab and crew-cab configurations.

Toyota was so confident in the strength of its new truck and the American truck market that it invested more than $1 billion to build a dedicated assembly plant in Texas with the capacity to build 200,000 Tundras a year in addition to a second Tundra factory in Indiana that could produce 100,000 annually.

The Tundra came close to meeting its annual sales goals of 200,000 trucks per year in the first year but has missed each year since by a wide margin, suffering from the effects of both the economy and high-profile quality and safety issues. About 460,000 Tundras have been built since 2007, and less than 80,000 were sold in 2009.

In response to lower-than-expected demand, Toyota consolidated all Tundra production in Texas – shifting Toyota Highlander production to its Indiana factory – and also moved production of the midsize Toyota Tacoma to the Tundra’s plant in Texas to soak up the extra production capacity.

That’s led some to wonder about Toyota’s long-term dedication to the Tundra, especially in light of tough new fuel-economy rules set to take effect by 2016. Will Toyota continue to invest in the Tundra?

Our sources say the next Tundra will arrive by 2014, just in time to take on all-new full-size light-duty pickups expected from GM, Nissan and Ford. That time period is looking like it will be a replay of 2007-08, which also had a fast cadence of new half-ton introductions.

But while Toyota is keeping the faith in Tundra, at least for one more generation, the Japanese automaker is said to be cutting its losses with the Toyota Sequoia full-size SUV that’s based on the Tundra platform. We hear the big people-mover will be killed at the end of this life cycle.
Old 07-27-10, 09:12 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Makes sense.
Old 07-27-10, 09:13 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not entirely surprising, if true. Between the Highlander, 4Runner, Land Cruiser, and Sienna, there is little need for the Sequoia in the future.
Old 07-27-10, 09:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The company is planning a thorough redesign of the truck, according to our sources.
This time they need to do it RIGHT. It took them 12 years (from the first T-100/150s in 1994) to get both the Tundra's size and engines correct for the American full-sized truck market. Then, when they finally got the size right, the quality was shoddy with thin sheet metal, buckling tailgates, cheap flimsy plastic exterior/interior trim parts, and C-channel/Hydroformed frame rails that, while probably adequate for the truck's payload and tow ratings, were clearly not as strong as those in Ford/Chevy/Dodge trucks.
Old 07-27-10, 11:24 AM
LexFather

Good, it was a really substandard exercise and brought nothing new to the segment. THe current model looks horrible and the designers were on drugs to use the discontinued ugly Dodge Durango as inspiration.

Old 07-27-10, 11:47 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sequioa never made sense to me either. Good to trim the fat.
Old 07-27-10, 12:35 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Good, it was a really substandard exercise and brought nothing new to the segment. THe current model looks horrible and the designers were on drugs to use the discontinued ugly Dodge Durango as inspiration.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-27-10, 12:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

We looked at a used Sequoia, used 4Runner or a GX470, but considered the 4Runner was the best value wise of the bunch. One of my friends has a Sequoia and loves the thing.
Old 07-27-10, 01:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

good move, i have never been impressed with the new sequoia
Old 07-27-10, 01:09 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

IMHO, I think the Sequoia could stay (redesigned of course). There is a lot of pride & heritage in the LandCruiser name, but the LC and Lexus LX are practically the same vehicle. It is totally redundant to have both of them. Pull out the LC, leave it in the world market where it is highly respected and always done well, and stick a proper diesel in the Sequoia. perhaps sell a low frills version of the LX? Problem solved. While you are at it, stick a Manual gearbox in the 4Runner and get rid of the FJ. While it's a jeep I love, a 2 door version of the 4Runner would serve the same purpose. It is barely bigger.
Old 07-27-10, 04:24 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

No need for the Sequioa. Wasteful. If you really need a big honkin SUV the Landcruiser does a way better job.

And I like this idea of a 2 door, 6MT 4Runner.
Old 07-27-10, 05:14 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
THe current model looks horrible and the designers were on drugs to use the discontinued ugly Dodge Durango as inspiration.
I think it looks better than the previous Sequoia, and it's WAY better looking than the new 4Runner...but it's just too damn big.

The newest 4Runner should have looked like a 3/4 scale Sequoia. And a turbo diesel 6 cyl would've been nice.
Old 07-27-10, 06:39 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

^^ having both the Land Cruiser and Lexus LX in the same market is redundant IMO. The US market LC is amost as Lux as the LX.

^ I'm not objectionable to them using their 4.5 Twin turbo CGI Block V8 diesel. Does Toyota even have a diesel 6 right now?
Old 07-27-10, 07:51 PM
LexFather

The Sequioa could have been an opportunity to do it different. Instead it was American as apple pie with a Toyota badge. Toyota could have done anything to make this stand out.

Notice the NIssan Aramada and now this is discontinued. Also the Kia Borrego (while much smaller) struggles. THis class is dominated by the Americans.

Hey Lexus, PUT THE QUAD LAMPS BACK ON THE LX!!

I like the LX b/c it is understanded and anti-bling. It also is painfully understyled and I have trouble with L-Finesse with the SUVs...

Old 07-28-10, 01:38 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Sad news. This is a struggling class, but I think the Sequioa is one of the better ones out there (clean lines, refined, reliable). If I needed a tow vehicle or had a big family, I'd take it over a Tahoe, Expedition, or other cheese.
I think Toyota is jumping the gun here. Atcually, I wouldn't be surprised if they changed their minds later down the road.

Quick Reply: Toyota Tundra to Live On; Sequoia Will live on as well