Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > Car Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Wish us luck, Guys.

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-10, 05:34 PM   #16
LexFather
Guest
Trader Score: ()
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks for the updates. Seems even with the issues Subie is on a tear the last couple of years.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 08:04 PM   #17
SLegacy99
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
SLegacy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 4,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX View Post
Thanks for the updates. Seems even with the issues Subie is on a tear the last couple of years.
Which is amazing given their ailing transmissions and the bland interiors of the Impreza and Forester. ...still, Ill wait (mostly because I have no money) to get a new Subaru when they are up to date.
__________________
2015 Subaru WRX Limited - 6MT

"This fight is on the dance floor" www.THON.org
SLegacy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 08:35 PM   #18
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 49,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLegacy99 View Post
Which is amazing given their ailing transmissions and the bland interiors of the Impreza and Forester. ...still, Ill wait (mostly because I have no money) to get a new Subaru when they are up to date.
As far as I know, it is only the 2010 Legacy/Outback CVTs that have a problem; no other Subaru transmission......and that is only with one hose.

Still, I agree.....I had some misgivings about that transmission when it debuted last summer, despite its good efficiency. And it also makes the 2.5L H4 run like the old N/A H6.

The newer Impreza/Forester interiors, IMO,actually look pretty good as far as general design goes, but I agree that the materials are not very upscale, and there is too much hard plastic on the dash/console and door panels.
__________________
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 09:30 PM   #19
nthach
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: California
Posts: 3,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
Thanks.

Yes, Subarus are superb in the winter. But the overall build quality on the new Forester, though still above-average, doesn't seem quite as solid as the last-generation model....and there has been some minor decontenting. That, though, is balanced by now having much more room inside, standard ABS/traction/stability control, and hood struts instead of a cheap prop-rod.
My friend just traded in her nightmare of a Forester for a new one after talking to Subaru of America and a little haggling on her part - even though it's a base model, she's happy with it.
nthach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 05:56 AM   #20
SLegacy99
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
SLegacy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 4,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
As far as I know, it is only the 2010 Legacy/Outback CVTs that have a problem; no other Subaru transmission......and that is only with one hose.

Still, I agree.....I had some misgivings about that transmission when it debuted last summer, despite its good efficiency. And it also makes the 2.5L H4 run like the old N/A H6.
Oh, I haven't driven a CVT equipped Subaru yet, nor have I heard of any complaints about it. I am more taken aback that Subaru is still trudging forward with the 4EAT. My bro's new Impreza shifts just as crappily and tachs as high as my '96 LGT did. This is a transmission that slammed into gears and made trading up to a 5MT Legacy no question. You wouldn't think that more than a decade had gone by.
__________________
2015 Subaru WRX Limited - 6MT

"This fight is on the dance floor" www.THON.org
SLegacy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 09:05 AM   #21
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 49,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLegacy99 View Post
Oh, I haven't driven a CVT equipped Subaru yet, nor have I heard of any complaints about it. I am more taken aback that Subaru is still trudging forward with the 4EAT. My bro's new Impreza shifts just as crappily and tachs as high as my '96 LGT did. This is a transmission that slammed into gears and made trading up to a 5MT Legacy no question. You wouldn't think that more than a decade had gone by.
4EATs are not just used on lower-line Subarus, but on a number of other lower-line and entry-level vehicles as well. Subaru's big mistake, IMO, was giving the new 2.5 Legacy/Outback the unproven CVT instead of their proven 5EAT. The previous N/A 2.5 Legacy/Outback, of course, had a 4EAT which was rather inflexible.....and, IMO, for 2010, should have gotten a 5 or 6-speed instead of the unproven CVT. But, for now, we're stuck with the CVT.......though you do have to give the CVT credit for its efficiency and acceleration. The lower-line Imprezas, and all Foresters, still carry on with the 4-speed.
__________________

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-27-10 at 09:09 AM..
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 12:16 PM   #22
SLegacy99
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
SLegacy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 4,342
Default

But how can a transmission, in this case a CVT be proven, if you don't equip cars with it?

Quote:
The lower-line Imprezas, and all Foresters, still carry on with the 4-speed.
And if I were shopping for an automatic I would steer clear from these.
__________________
2015 Subaru WRX Limited - 6MT

"This fight is on the dance floor" www.THON.org
SLegacy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 08:30 PM   #23
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 49,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLegacy99 View Post
But how can a transmission, in this case a CVT be proven, if you don't equip cars with it?

I agree. But many car buyers (and I don't blame them) want to be guinea pigs or serve as test-beds for new designs. There was way too much of that, for example, back during the bad old days of Detroit's junk. Subaru is a good manufacturer (IMO, one of the best), but they can have defects, too...particularly on some of their newer models. Engineers, of course, test out new designs on track and simulated real-world conditions, but nothing beats the test of consumers over time.
__________________
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 08:31 PM   #24
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 49,881
Default

We've kind of got off-topic, guys, with Subies. But thank you for all your replies and comments.
__________________
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 11:58 PM   #25
Mv350
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (23)
 
Mv350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cali Baby
Posts: 5,647
Mv350 Mv350 Mv350
Default

sounds like things are ending up on the plus side bummer about feeling a little less "built" but great to gain the extra room.
__________________
Mv350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 11:58 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2007, america, b, de, forester, interior, la, ls430, pillar, strength, subaru, talking

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:34 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info