Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D: Audi RS5 vs. BMW M3 vs. Cadillac CTS-V (Update with much better MT review)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-10, 04:09 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haters can hate.
Old 07-25-10, 04:22 PM
ferdinan
Rookie

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I would assume that it's because we're talking 2 Doors vs. 4 doors?
Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
No F and GTR because this was fight of the 2-doors.

Thank you both, this makes sense now.
Old 07-25-10, 04:28 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

What a surprise BMW got first place.

Last edited by Tee; 07-25-10 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-25-10, 04:36 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Is it me, or is BMW and Driver, excuse me, Car and Driver the reason why this whole "BMW 3er is the benchmark" myth is so rabid on the entire Internet?

Before I am criticized, let me say that I think the 3er is an excellent car. It's clearly the car to beat when it comes to driving dynamics - but that's about it. In terms of general balance, a non-biased magazine might dare to claim that there are "better" cars out there like the A4 or C class, S40, IS etc., which are perhaps a tad less dynamically competent, but more comfortable or superior in other aspects: aspects that actually matter to most people out there rather than how quickly the steering response is or how fast the car is from 0-60, skidpad numbers etc.

There's no doubt in my mind, however, that the M3 is one amazing performer and definitely the benchmark in its class when it comes to purist driving pleasure etc. At the same time, we know that Cadillac is back for business and the CTS-V coupe should be amazing.

I'm surprised the RS5 is being criticized left and right. From a styling point of view, I find it to be the most gorgeous car here. From a performance point of view, at least for my tastes, this machine should be more than adequate to my needs. What seems to be forgotten is that the RS5 is based on the FWD A5 with quattro setup. Obviously this setup will be "slightly inferior" to a pure RWD setup a la BMW M3/CTS-V coupe, I should imagine.
Old 07-25-10, 04:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

A recent C&D comparo had the finish:

1. 2010 Audi A6 3.0T
2. 2011 Infiniti M37
3. 2011 BMW 535i
Old 07-25-10, 05:15 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL the BMW seats were better than the Caddy's RECARO?!?!?!??!
Old 07-25-10, 08:49 PM
stick
Pole Position

I have never seen an M3 with lower than a 4 sec 0-60. If the M3 can pull a 3.9, then the CTSV should make it in 3.6 in the C&D "comparo."
Old 07-25-10, 09:41 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stick
I have never seen an M3 with lower than a 4 sec 0-60. If the M3 can pull a 3.9, then the CTSV should make it in 3.6 in the C&D "comparo."
C and D test drivers are usually skinny.
Old 07-25-10, 10:08 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

To C&D the M3 coupe is so invincible that it will also beat the M6 in its next comparo. Throw in the 911, CL63, JKR and Vantage and the result still won't change.

It's interesting that C&D is taking a completely different approach from Motor Trend, which recently compared a CTS-V sedan against the BMW M5 and Merc. E63. MT fairly concluded that the M5, while still great is no longer a match against the Caddy. The E63, being the most recently designed model, just barely edges out the Caddy.

Jon
Old 07-26-10, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

m3 is such an overrated car. come on, everyone knows that!
Old 07-26-10, 01:49 PM
byung
Driver

C&D July 2008 issue (M3 wins over GTR, 911turbo),
their verdict on M3 was showing how their writers were careless & irresposible.
Attached Thumbnails C&D: Audi RS5 vs. BMW M3 vs. Cadillac CTS-V (Update with much better MT review)-img_2464.jpg  
Old 07-26-10, 05:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
Damn you and Stig

Old 07-27-10, 09:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, the M3 clearly is not an overrated car on the track, where it is a superb vehicle. I've said, though, several times in the past, and still feel this way, that, for street/daily driving, the 335i is a better all-around car, dollar-for-dollar, particularly in the 335ix AWD version. The M3 has a higher-winding, higher-HP engine and STIFF underpinnings that are well-suited for a track, but the twin-turbo 335i actually beats it in the torque figure for acceleration, and also has a superb ride/handling combination, even with the Sport Package and 35-series tires. And the 335i's price, of course, substantially undercuts that of the M3. I have not sampled the latest single-turbo 335, but still strongly feel that way about the twin-turbo version.
Old 07-27-10, 11:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, the M3 clearly is not an overrated car on the track, where it is a superb vehicle. I've said, though, several times in the past, and still feel this way, that, for street/daily driving, the 335i is a better all-around car, dollar-for-dollar, particularly in the 335ix AWD version. The M3 has a higher-winding, higher-HP engine and STIFF underpinnings that are well-suited for a track, but the twin-turbo 335i actually beats it in the torque figure for acceleration, and also has a superb ride/handling combination, even with the Sport Package and 35-series tires. And the 335i's price, of course, substantially undercuts that of the M3. I have not sampled the latest single-turbo 335, but still strongly feel that way about the twin-turbo version.
i think you are still missing the point. any cars in this extreme (or on the luxury side) are pointless with your kind of philosophy. with your way of thinking, even the 335i is way more than necessary for street / daily driving. i am sure all the 328 owners can attest to that.

cars like these are about extreme, and yes, i can easily say that even on my kind of street driving, the m3 is still better than the 335 i have driven, from steering ratio to turn in/out. is it necessary? absolutely not. is it more fun? absolutely yes. tq? yes, 335 has more on paper maybe, but as i always say, if you put the m3 in the right gear and punch it, it pulls crazy. m3 has a high rev engine so you have to drive it correctly, unlike most cars.

cars like these, best bang for the bucks is not a term applicable imho. same with rs5 or isf or c63. it's about the extra, it's about that marginal gain that you feel.

it's the same as saying what's the point of s class when there is avalon with plenty of space and decent power, all comes in at fraction of the cost of s class. yup, when you are at that segment, it's all about the extra
Old 07-27-10, 11:51 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STIG
haters can hate.
Everyone knows what M3 drivers are like.

Quick Reply: C&D: Audi RS5 vs. BMW M3 vs. Cadillac CTS-V (Update with much better MT review)