Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: 2012 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 01:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
and I just spit my tea out lol
Like the time you said you spit out your gum when I first mentioned how some unsold cars sit around in dealer lots and collect bird droppings?

Remember that one? ...several years ago
Old 07-22-10, 03:00 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Can they make the trunk any taller? Might as well put windows on it and make it a station wagon. How is the driver supposed to see behind them?
Old 07-22-10, 03:26 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not necessarily just the Civic. I was speaking in reference to the whole silly game of auto manufacturers disguising their prototypes and test-vehicles. It's kindergarden-childish, like a game of hide/go seek. I'll keep b**ching about it as long as they continue doing it.
If my firm was spending hundreds of millions of dollars on launching a new model I'd definitely want it disguised in the years/months prior to the official launch date. To do otherwise would be foolish, you need to make the maximum impact possible when it's inveiled. It's particularly important if you're going in a new styling direction where the last thing you want to do is give your competitors too much advance notice.
Old 07-22-10, 03:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
If my firm was spending hundreds of millions of dollars on launching a new model I'd definitely want it disguised in the years/months prior to the official launch date. To do otherwise would be foolish, you need to make the maximum impact possible when it's inveiled. It's particularly important if you're going in a new styling direction where the last thing you want to do is give your competitors too much advance notice.
I agree. They have a plan in place, it's their car, and they can do with it what they want. Been that way for a long time. It also keeps the competition at bay a little longer and hopefully builds some excitement with potential buyers..
Old 07-24-10, 11:00 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow this is going to be exciting ! that backglass is pretty high up there!
Old 07-24-10, 01:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree. They have a plan in place, it's their car, and they can do with it what they want. Been that way for a long time. It also keeps the competition at bay a little longer and hopefully builds some excitement with potential buyers..
I respect your opinion but disagree. Unless it is top-secret military vehicle where security or classified equipment on it may be at stake, IMO, playing a cat-and-mouse game with disguising, taping, and "spy" photos is just childish.

That said, let's get back to the prototype itself. From what I can tell through the B.S. tape and masking, it seems a small improvement over the current Civic, which I thought looked awkward with the wedge-down front nose and small triangular A-Pillar front windows.
Old 09-02-10, 02:36 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Once again we've got spy shots of the 2012 Honda Civic. This time we're seeing a four-door sedan version we'll see in the U.S. as opposed to the four-door hatch that seemingly only enthusiasts want.

This next-generation Civic will be smaller than the current Civic, though that's hard to gauge from these photos. We can see is the new small window a-la the Fit, immediately behind the A-pillar; a strong kink in the C-pillar; a sweeping character line on the lower panels and a more pronounced beltline. And while we have no shots of the interior-- yet-- we can see through the window that some manner of over / under gauges remain just like the current Civic and the Honda CR-Z.
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...vic-sedan.html
Old 09-02-10, 02:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Good thing they're making it smaller. The current Civics are as big as the older generation Honda Accords. Hopefully they can retain, if not increase the interior space.
Old 09-02-10, 02:52 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The overall shape is nothing dramatically different, which is a good thing.

Civic purists don't want to change a winning recipe...
Old 09-02-10, 02:53 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Almost looks like a muted, more conservative Insight...
Old 09-02-10, 03:14 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Kinda looks Dodge neon-ish from the side profile but nevertheless, i think it will look better than the current model if even if its goin to still be ugly.
Old 09-02-10, 03:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
i think it will look better than the current model if even if its goin to still be ugly.
Don't doubt Honda designers
Old 09-03-10, 12:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

the side view looks fairly nicely proportioned if very bland.
i'm surprised it's smaller than the current one with customers getting 'bigger'.
i think it may get competition from that new 'k-bomb' - the optima! (gets in before regulars)
Old 09-03-10, 07:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall profile still makes it look like a spaceship, not a car. I have a gut feeling Honda designs managed to mess this one up. My gut feeling is that the front and rear ends will look awkward.
Old 09-03-10, 10:50 PM
LexFather

They better not drop the ball on this one or Hyundai/Kia/Ford and everyone else will eat the new Civic.

I think people are slowly realizing Honda's best days might be behind them.

Quick Reply: Spy Shots: 2012 Honda Civic