Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Pets and cars? What do you do?
I let my pet ride in my car and roam freely
23.68%
I let my pet ride but in a cage etc....
10.53%
Uggghhh no pets or animals in my car
44.74%
I actually use a specific vehicle to let me pet ride in
10.53%
I don't even let my momma sit in my car
5.26%
I actually ride my pet around
5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Do you let animals ride in your vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 09:44 PM
LexFather

Default Do you let animals ride in your vehicle?

I let me goats ride shotgun but they got to buckle up

Tell me your pet/animal car stories and habits.

Old 07-19-10, 10:01 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Goats make great transportation!

I don't have a pet, but if I did I would get one of those hammocks that go in the back seat with the seat belt strap because I don't want them scratching the leather
Old 07-19-10, 10:07 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How can I NOT let them ride with me?!?

Old 07-19-10, 10:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

A friend of mine carried his big parrot along once (not a small parakeet), when I was helping him move. Other than that, animals in my car are very rare.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-19-10 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-19-10, 10:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
How can I NOT let them ride with me?!?

Gotta admit, Phil....that shot's precious.
Old 07-20-10, 12:43 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either on the floor or in the trunk is where my dog goes. Thank god for folding back seats in my Camry. She can run all she wants and stuff that way
Old 07-20-10, 12:50 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Absolutely not in my baby. The two golden retrievers get the roominess of the Explorer however
Old 07-20-10, 02:11 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Pup rides in the Frontier. That's it.
Old 07-20-10, 05:55 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I let my parents dogs in the backseat but I put blankets down. Claws on leather is not okay, whereas my parents just let them do whatever in their Lexus's. Drives me nuts.
Old 07-20-10, 06:10 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

just one friendly pet...

Old 07-20-10, 06:33 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Our Maltese for some reason is terrified of riding in the car. She handles all other doggy terrors, thunderstorms, fireworks, even other dogs with a rather regal distain. I suppose she had enough riding with our daughter and her fiance years ago, when he was a truck driver. She probably associates travel with a lot of noise and stress. We took her to the drive-in movies a time or two in the Lexus, and to the in-laws, about an hour across town. She would ride tucked into her rather small canvas carrier that she loves, belted to the backseat for security.

Sissy greets every new arrival, assuming each is another dog. Whenever JK returns from the store, she has to sniff the
tailpipe - it's a dog thing. Wonder if she approves of Texaco Unleaded?

She's wasn't happy with the trip, but enjoyed the attention she gets from the kids when we get there. Small children think she's a plush toy and want to pick her up and hug her, and while she's a little stand-offish at first, she loves the attention. As she's gotten older she much prefers to stay at home, snoozing, snacking, and watching TV (!) while the rest of the family goes out for the evening. At this point in her life, she doesn't need the stress that travel seems to create in her and would rather be a furry couch potato.

My legacy Cocker handled riding in the car pretty well, sitting on the front seat and watching the world go by. She wasn't particularly fond of it, but it seemed an "interesting" experience for her. She loved the Lexus, but preferred the Civic's cloth seats that gave her a better grip. She'd stick her nose out the window, but quickly tired of that - I think her ears were beating her half to death. Eventually, when she tired, she'd curl up on the seat and go to sleep.

Then there was my parents' Wire Haired Terrier. He was crazy for riding in the car - a typical terrier, he would demand his window be lowered so he could hang his head out and snort the breeze. He loved our motorhome, where he would lie on the passenger's lap and put his head out the window. He loved the rush of wind up his nose, although it made him sneeze, he could never get enough, covering the side of the vehicle with doggy drool and snot for mile after Interstate mile.

When said passenger got tired of holding him, he could be coaxed to lie on a folded towel on the spacious dashboard where he could see out the windshield. Even at night he would sleep on the engine cover - his own designated bed-space. When we'd take the bus down to the gas station to fill up prior to a trip, or get the propane tanks filled, he had to go, fearing he was missing out on something, barking and clawing at the back door of the house until you let him go.

Being a WHT with a razor sharp hunting instinct, he couldn't be trusted off leash - if he got loose, he'd chase after everything that moved and forget coming home. If he disappeared, I had only to go out to the motorhome and bump the starter. That old Dodge 318's starter, typical of older Chrysler products, had a distinctive yowl that the animal could hear for blocks. Within seconds you could see him legging it down the street on a dead run. A blast from the air horns lit his turbo and could almost get airborne. He figured you were going somewhere without him and would leap aboard, taking his customary seat, wild-eyed, trembling, panting, and slobbering, ready for another adventure.

Last edited by Lil4X; 07-20-10 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-20-10, 06:54 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Our dog go's everywhere with us, no matter what car we take. She's just as much a part of the family as anyone else. Even have a special leash and harness that allows her to be buckled in in case of an accident.

I do, however, have some heavy fabric that I've cut to fit, so it covers the back seats and tucks up under to keep it secure. Even cut holes for the headrests and seatbelts, so it looks like it's just part of the interior. Works good for all the stuff the baby drops too....
Old 07-20-10, 07:34 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaseman
Our dog go's everywhere with us, no matter what car we take. She's just as much a part of the family as anyone else. Even have a special leash and harness that allows her to be buckled in in case of an accident.

I do, however, have some heavy fabric that I've cut to fit, so it covers the back seats and tucks up under to keep it secure. Even cut holes for the headrests and seatbelts, so it looks like it's just part of the interior. Works good for all the stuff the baby drops too....
+1

Our pup is welcome in all 3 of our vehicles, including the F....of course we travel more in the SUV's with her. We have dog covers and blankets to protect the leather. She hates the F though as she doesn't like when it growls at her.
Attached Thumbnails Do you let animals ride in your vehicle?-sunday-afternoon-055.jpg  
Old 07-20-10, 07:51 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
+1

Our pup is welcome in all 3 of our vehicles, including the F....of course we travel more in the SUV's with her. We have dog covers and blankets to protect the leather. She hates the F though as she doesn't like when it growls at her.
Cute pup! Part Husky? Looks like dichromatic eyes (2 different colors). Mines part Husky, and has one blue and one brown.

Old 07-20-10, 07:58 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Historically, yes. The previous ex was about 5'9", 155lbs, brunette, and she got to sit in the front seat.

The most recent was closer to 5'4", 110lbs, blond, and after she cheated on me she was never allowed in the car again.

Quick Reply: Do you let animals ride in your vehicle?