Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai now offers R-Spec version of Genesis Coupe 3.8

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-10, 06:57 AM
St00k
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hyundai now offers R-Spec version of Genesis Coupe 3.8

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...model-yet.html

At least year’s SEMA Show, Hyundai unveiled a tuner-special version of the Genesis Coupe 2.0T, known as the R-Spec. Now Hyundai has decided to expand its R-Spec lineup to include the 3.8-liter model. What this means is that you’ll be able to get the 306-hp version of the G Coupe with all the Track pack goodies, but without the hefty price.
Included in the 3.8 R-Spec model are gunmetal 19-inch wheels, Brembo brakes, a stiffer suspension, a limited slip differential and sport seats. Oh, and it’s offered exclusively with a good-old six-speed manual transmission and comes complete with R-Spec badging.
In an effort to keep the cost and the weight down, the car does without items like automatic headlights, cruise control and some of the more premium options.
Pricing for the 3.8 R-Spec hasn’t been released but considering the R-Spec trim on 2.0T models costs just $1,750 over the standard car, we’d expect the V6-powered R-Spec model to retail for close to $26,750.
Old 07-16-10, 07:10 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Not bad, wonder what the weight is.........
Old 07-16-10, 07:19 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

19" for the track?
Old 07-16-10, 08:01 AM
LexFather

Hyundai is really doing their thing with this car. What a car!

Very reasonable prices
LSD optional
Brembos optional
Track kits
Sport kits
Good looking
Boost or big V-6
Manuals
RWD

When these get to around 10-15k people will buy in droves...."I got a new Genesis"

It is simply amazing to see the stranglehold the Muscle Cars have in the coupe class here. Together they might sell near 15-20k units a month and the Japanese coupes might sell 5k units tops a month. Crazy.

Interior difference

2010 interior for reference:

Old 07-16-10, 08:08 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well done.

I love how Hyundai is upping the ante. It presses competitors' buttons to fight back, and that's all good...
Old 07-16-10, 08:43 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

good effort, nice interior but the exterior design does nothing in terms of striking emotion....it other words, it sucks.
Old 07-16-10, 09:50 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am impressed. This will make people seriously consider the brand for their performance needs. Consider that this car is well priced with such options. I hope the name Hyundai can break through its past limitations, becuase the new company direction is a winnng one!
Old 07-16-10, 09:58 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

IMO it looks great. Maybe it will get other manufacturer's to step up their game.
Old 07-16-10, 07:03 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I like it. I'd definitely rock one of those.
Old 07-17-10, 01:23 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

the r-spec version is going to be great. hyundai is really making a great effort into being more mainstream, and by offering an affordable variant all the while including big time products such as the brembo brakes and LSD, its going to only improve its reputation as a solid brand in giving its customers what they want at an affordable rate. under 27k for a great track car.....not bad at all!
Old 07-17-10, 07:58 AM
LexFather

Sad but like the Genesis sedan this is a fantastic car that people say that want that they are not buying. It has to be the badge and people still not getting past it. If this thing was badged a Toyota, NIssan or Honda it would sell like mad.

This is a good looking, RWD, turbo or big V-6 coupe that is not selling like it should. Sad. Its a fantastic vehicle.

Old 07-17-10, 09:24 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I would like to drive one & consider it if in the market. Who's the genius that photographed the white car on a white background.

Last edited by Byprodrive; 07-17-10 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-17-10, 12:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

a great performance value just got better. I love this car
Old 07-17-10, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sad but like the Genesis sedan this is a fantastic car that people say that want that they are not buying. It has to be the badge and people still not getting past it. If this thing was badged a Toyota, NIssan or Honda it would sell like mad.

This is a good looking, RWD, turbo or big V-6 coupe that is not selling like it should. Sad. Its a fantastic vehicle.
Did you get to drive a 3.8L Track model yet, like I suggested? You will have one word for it....WOW. I found it very difficult to tell its road manners from a good Sport-Package BMW 3-series (even the 335), though the ride is a little stiffer.

The R-Spec version, of course, should prove even more of a sports-machine. I was so impressed with the standard 3.8L Track that I might have to sample this car just for curiosity.

The interior, though, on the non-R-spec, was a disappointment, perhaps the car's worst feature (if you remember my review)....I hope the R is an upgrade. Hyundai clearly did not put the effort/materials inside that it did with the much better-trimmed Genesis sedan. Of course, the sedan was meant to be a temporary flagship until the Equus is ready....not so with the coupe. And, with the coupe, especially the 3.8 Track, Hyundai obviously put the money into the chassis/drivetrain instead.

I notice, with the R, it's strictly a stick. While I can understand that from an enthusiast point of view, the automatic in the 3.8 is also a purist's delight...its paddle-shifters whisk you into the next gear instantaneously, with NO wait. You flick, you get.....simple as that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-17-10 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-19-10, 04:45 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

weight please?

Quick Reply: Hyundai now offers R-Spec version of Genesis Coupe 3.8