Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anybody on CL own a Kia Soul?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-10, 07:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Anybody on CL own a Kia Soul?

Have any of you owned a Kia Soul for some time? I know it's a fairly new product, having been on the market only a year or so. I ask because I personally don't know anyone who has owned one for any length of time, although a friend of my brother just bought a new one for his wife a few weeks ago....a top-line Sport model.

Anyhow, my brother and I spent several hours on the phone this evening talking about a possible new car for him. He's getting a new roomate (who wants to buy his 10-year-old Impreza), and since it's still in decent running condition and worth around 4K, he feels that it's given him his money's worth and that it may be time to go shopping again. We discussed virtually all the possibilities for new/used models in his price range and buying-vs.-leasing (he is not poor, but, like many people, generally doesn't have a whole lot to spend on a new car, and is not interested in upmarket/premium vehicles). He thinks he can get along for a while without AWD like his Impreza had, and, looking at the Kia Soul, he liked it and was very interested in it (he read my Soul review, of course).

I have mixed feelings about the vehicle myself. Its overall build quality, from my own review, seems pretty good (and the super-long Hyundai/Kia warranty, of course backs it up), but its seating, interior trim, and driving comfort, IMO, are rather crude. Its torque level is also not impressive, especially with the automatic. Still, the vehicle seems solidly-made, and I've seen worse ways to spend 17-18K. It seems to be an adequate vehicle for the type of around-town, stop-and go driving and commuting he does, and he doesn't rack up a lot of highway miles on long trips where cruising comfort would be a big factor. It also has the boxy space-efficiency for carrying things, interior room, and slightly higher-stance for visibility and getting in and out that he wants. And, most important, it is very affordable. Like me, he seems to think the mid-level Plus model is the best value.

The main question I have is with potential reliability. His friends have only had theirs a few weeks, so that, of course, is no test. I try to be as thorough as I can on new-vehicle reviews, but with an all-new model, reliability is often a question mark that can only be gauged with time and experience. Consumer Reports has generally given newer Hyundais and Kias decent marks for reliability (average or better), and many of the Soul's mechanical components are taken from other smaller Kia models that have also done decently. But the Soul itself still does not have much CR reliability data.

Depending on his specific circumstances, we may be shopping as early as this weekend or in the next several weeks.

So..........have any of you owned one, and, if so, what has your reliability experience been, at least for the roughly one year that it has been out on the market? I figure that, with tens of thousands of CL members, there's a good chance somebody owns one.

I appreciate any replies.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-15-10 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-15-10, 07:53 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe anyone here owns a soul.

I would take a look at these 2 Soul forums or point your brother to them and check out owner discussions.

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/

http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-soul-forum/

I never the thought the Soul would take off like it has. As of June, the Soul has rocketed to the 2nd best selling car in the sub-compact class only after the Versa. Yes, that's more than Yaris, Fit, Accent, ect. Very surprising for a non-conventional vehicle that seemed to be destined as a niche car.
Old 07-15-10, 07:56 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

mmarshall, I don't own one, but a coworker bought one about 9 months or so ago. I'll check in with her tomorrow and see if I can get you some feedback.
Old 07-15-10, 08:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
mmarshall, I don't own one, but a coworker bought one about 9 months or so ago. I'll check in with her tomorrow and see if I can get you some feedback.
Thanks. Appreciate it. 9 months, at least, is probably a good indication of any serious initial defects.
Old 07-15-10, 08:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I don't believe anyone here owns a soul.

I would take a look at these 2 Soul forums or point your brother to them and check out owner discussions.

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/

http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-soul-forum/

I never the thought the Soul would take off like it has. As of June, the Soul has rocketed to the 2nd best selling car in the sub-compact class only after the Versa. Yes, that's more than Yaris, Fit, Accent, ect. Very surprising for a non-conventional vehicle that seemed to be destined as a niche car.
Thanks. The Soul's popularity exceeded my expectations, too. I think that the Ford Fiesta, when sales really get going shortly, is also going to be a hot subcompact.

I may look at some Kia forums, but NOBODY is like CL and CAR CHAT.
Old 07-15-10, 08:27 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks. The Soul's popularity exceeded my expectations, too. I think that the Ford Fiesta, when sales really get going shortly, is also going to be a hot subcompact.

I may look at some Kia forums, but NOBODY is like CL and CAR CHAT.
Since you mention it, how about the Fiesta hatch? Although your brother would probably have to wait a bit for inventory to pick up.

IMO, the Fiesta is a much better move. Looks better, much better fuel efficiency, more fun to drive, higher resale most likely.

Not to push you/your brother away from the Soul, just my opinion. The Soul is certainly a very good choice as well.
Old 07-15-10, 08:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Since you mention it, how about the Fiesta hatch? Although your brother would probably have to wait a bit for inventory to pick up.

IMO, the Fiesta is a much better move. Looks better, much better fuel efficiency, more fun to drive, higher resale most likely.

Not to push you/your brother away from the Soul, just my opinion. The Soul is certainly a very good choice as well.
We're still waiting for significant numbers of Fiesta hatchbacks here in the D.C. area (I plan a CL-requested, full-review on one). A couple of sedans have shown, but no unsold hatchbacks. I did a short static review of a SEL sedan, but couldn't get a test-drive because some other customers wanted it. I discussed the Fiesta with him, but he and I both felt that serious deals would be too hard to get right now. That car is going to be in high demand and short supply for a while, and that, of course, means full-list or price-mark-ups.

Though he likes the Soul, it's not necessarily cast in stone. He could change his mind and decide to wait for a Fiesta......or spmething else. But he's in the market now (or very shortly), and I don't think that will happen.

I won't be able to comment on the "Fun to Drive" factor until I actually drive one myself. But, yes, its fuel-efficiency does look good. That is going to be one of its selling points.

Resale value may be another question mark. Yes, the Fiesta is going to be popular, but, unlike some other Kias, which are not popular as used cars, I think the Soul will do somewhat better. It is certainly popular as a new vehicle......as you yourself pointed out, it trails only the Versa as of now, though the Fiesta could change that.
Old 07-16-10, 04:23 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he's looking at that *type* of vehicle and reliability is of great concern, why not steer him toward an XB?
Old 07-16-10, 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
If he's looking at that *type* of vehicle and reliability is of great concern, why not steer him toward an XB?
The xB doesn't have enough ground clearance for him (he drives through snow), and the center-gauge layout is quirky. The xB also doesn't have a engine-temperature gauge....he considers that an absolute must. It does, however, like at Saturn dealerships, make the sales-deal process easy by selling at no-haggle, list-price only.

He is not the only person, BTW, to be put off by coolant-temperature idiot lights and lack of a proper gauge. Automakers, of course, do this to cut costs (though they try and justify it by other means and smooth-talk). But some people do notice it, and it does affect sales.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-16-10 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-16-10, 11:04 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The Soul seems to be popular among fat and furry buyers. (at least per the commercials)
Old 07-16-10, 11:05 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I do not have a Soul either mmarshall, but very interested in what you turn up. My wife and I are planning on buying a Soul (mid level plus) for my wife's mother and want to know the serious hard data on it. My time frame is more October-November and would look to capitalize on the incoming 2011 models for an extra deal on a 2010, but some of the appealing factors include what you mentioned: warranty; driver positioning; ease of entry/exit; style; and price.

It would be nice to hear the feedback and have a good reliable car where the warranty is a piece of mind element, not a necessity.
Old 07-16-10, 01:14 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I asked my friend to send an email with some random thoughts on the car and I've included them in the quote below. I hope this helps!

BTW for background: She's had the car about a year. She's in her mid 30s and is a SAP programmer in the finance department of a mid sized tech company.

As far as the Kia Soul goes - it is a good car. Not great for high speeds, as it is most happy at 70mph or lower. Gas mileage is good. I have the sport model with the sport suspension pack - so it is quite bumpy, but takes corners really well. So I'm not sure what the regular suspension is like.

If you friend is looking for a fun, sporty car - then the Kia is good. No repairs needed so far - car has 33K miles on it. If they want comfort, I'd probably buy another Hyundai Sonata (very nice car which I miss sometimes).
Old 07-16-10, 01:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caddyowner
The Soul seems to be popular among fat and furry buyers. (at least per the commercials)
Yes, the hamster commercials.

(Funny, my brother once had a hamster...he loved them)

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-16-10 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-16-10, 01:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
I do not have a Soul either mmarshall, but very interested in what you turn up. My wife and I are planning on buying a Soul (mid level plus) for my wife's mother and want to know the serious hard data on it.

It would be nice to hear the feedback and have a good reliable car where the warranty is a piece of mind element, not a necessity.

Here's my own take on the vehicle, from my review last year:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-kia-soul.html
Old 07-16-10, 01:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I asked my friend to send an email with some random thoughts on the car and I've included them in the quote below. I hope this helps!

BTW for background: She's had the car about a year. She's in her mid 30s and is a SAP programmer in the finance department of a mid sized tech company.
Thanks, TripleL. That helps.

If she's had the car a year, she must have bought one of the first ones sold here.

Quick Reply: Anybody on CL own a Kia Soul?