Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Supra and MR2 in development for 2013 Both as Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10, 05:43 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supra and MR2 in development for 2013 Both as Hybrids

Toyota is set to lead a raft of Japanese hybrid sports cars with a successor to the MR2 and a reborn Supra. Both are due within the next four years.

Scheduled for late 2013, the MR2 replacement will have a hybrid powertrain based on a 1.5-litre petrol engine. It is the pet project of Hiromu Naruse, Toyota’s chief test driver, who runs the GRMN offshoot (Gazoo Racing — Meister of Nürburgring).

The model was originally going to use a V6 hybrid powertrain, but the success of Honda’s CR-Z in Japan is said to have prompted a rethink.

The Supra successor — previewed by the FT-HS (Future Toyota Hybrid Sport) at the 2007 Detroit show — was said to have been canned. But strengthening hybrid sales have earned the model a second chance, so a new Supra — powered, like the FT-HS, by a V6 hybrid powertrain — is back on track.

The model’s development is now running almost in parallel with that of the FT-86. That car, a joint project with Subaru, has been delayed until at least 2013.

Toyota’s hybrid sports models will be joining an increasingly crowded market. Honda is planning its own high-performance hybrid sports car, and Nissan and Mitsubishi are planning to go a step further with all-electric sports cars.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/250636/

Probably BS, but interesting nonetheless. If this MR2 stuff is true, do you think Toyota would dedicate it to the Meister?
Old 06-23-10, 05:49 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yawn...

Hybrids are so 2005...

Launching a "new" hybrid in 2013? LOL!
Old 06-23-10, 06:14 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Notice how anything that comes from Toyota and has two doors is automatically claimed to be a Supra. You guys would be surprised at how many out there think that the LFA is the new Supra.

Let's get over this obsession...
Old 06-23-10, 06:18 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

ultra capacitors, or don't bother. Also, make sure that the MR2 has enough power this time plz. Hybrid or not.
Old 06-23-10, 06:22 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

... fight with GT-R? ... no?
Old 06-23-10, 07:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
... fight with GT-R? ... no?
That's what I've been saying about a future Supra. Put a new Supra in the GT-R price bracket. Throw in some tech from the LFA, maybe a tweaked 5.0L V8, on top of a light weight chassis, and Godzilla would be history
Old 06-23-10, 07:31 PM
JessePS

If its ultra light weight batteries and structure sure why not. It better weigh 1800 pounds.
Old 06-23-10, 07:32 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

A mid-engined, hybrid AWD MR2 successor would be very interesting.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's what I've been saying about a future Supra. Put a new Supra in the GT-R price bracket. Throw in some tech from the LFA, maybe a tweaked 5.0L V8, on top of a light weight chassis, and Godzilla would be history
Just want to point out that the GTR doesn't sell at its price point. Even at $40,000, the Supra didn't sell well. What makes you think a $70,000 Toyota will?
Old 06-23-10, 07:34 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

No because then that would make the LFA a joke. The LFA is as fast as the GTR so a Toyota that cost 1/6th the price of the LFA but just as fast would be bad.
Old 06-23-10, 07:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

It would be cool , but I will believe it when I see it
Old 06-23-10, 08:26 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by gengar
Just want to point out that the GTR doesn't sell at its price point. Even at $40,000, the Supra didn't sell well. What makes you think a $70,000 Toyota will?
Originally Posted by (Cj)
No because then that would make the LFA a joke. The LFA is as fast as the GTR so a Toyota that cost 1/6th the price of the LFA but just as fast would be bad.
That's not the way I see it. The purpose of the Halo car LFA was to prove that Toyota has the technology and engineering to compete with the world's best. Cost aside, that car is a Statement. Eventually trickling down new Idea's, tech etc. to lesser models. Not to mention the LFA is a limited run, much like the Enzo, new less costly Ferrari's are just as fast if not faster. So the way I see it, a Supra competing head to head with the GT-R makes sense. Perhaps even stir some life into Toyota which until recently lost it's "sport" mojo
Old 06-23-10, 09:38 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
The LFA doesn't compete with the GTR either. It doesn't need to. Neither does Ferrari or Lamborghini. Porsche IMO made a mistake and showed its colors a bit by lowering itself so much to Nissan with the Turbo.

I don't think a GTR competitor does Toyota any good, but that doesn't mean one couldn't coexist with the LFA. I wouldn't mind seeing one, since I can pretty much guarantee it'll be a far better drive than the GTR is.

That's not the way I see it. The purpose of the Halo car LFA was to prove that Toyota has the technology and engineering to compete with the world's best. Cost aside, that car is a Statement. Eventually trickling down new Idea's, tech etc. to lesser models. Not to mention the LFA is a limited run, much like the Enzo, new less costly Ferrari's are just as fast if not faster. So the way I see it, a Supra competing head to head with the GT-R makes sense. Perhaps even stir some life into Toyota which until recently lost it's "sport" mojo
Sure, but does Toyota need a $70,000 halo car that they can't sell? I think the idea of the FT-86, albeit its annoying delays, is a much better plan.

Last edited by gengar; 06-23-10 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-23-10, 10:05 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not like they can't make a lexus model of the new 'supra' as the 'SC' which they have planned, make it perform well, price it around 65-70K and that's your GTR fighter. The other car will be more of a mustang gt, corvette fighter. The FT86 a lower model, genesis fighter, the new MRS a miate fighter. Toyota with a sports car to fight all other sports car, then a luxury cruiser/ sports car to fight with the upper tier sports cars like the SL. IS coupe coming to fight against G37 coupe, a possible F version also? Looks like Toyota has big plans. They owe it to Naruse to release these cars!!
Old 06-23-10, 10:06 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by gengar
Sure, but does Toyota need a $70,000 halo car that they can't sell? I think the idea of the FT-86, albeit its annoying delays, is a much better plan.
Why do you say that? Your assuming that another Supra will fail? With the world focused on green, downsizing, and economy there is certainly a lack of "fun to drive" cars out there. I'm not sure why your so opposed to the idea, what's it going to hurt by Toyota even considering a high-performance revision of the Supra. Sounds like a win to customers in the market for a car of that caliber, enthusiasts, and the automotive world. The FT-86 is a great car too, a real Celica successor, but since the FT-86 and MR2 are not as hardcore as the Supra moniker they'll be priced below 40K window. This leaves room for the Supra should it be reworked and a full line-up of sports cars . Let me dream
Old 06-23-10, 10:10 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by TF109B
Not like they can't make a lexus model of the new 'supra' as the 'SC' which they have planned, make it perform well, price it around 65-70K and that's your GTR fighter. The other car will be more of a mustang gt, corvette fighter. The FT86 a lower model, genesis fighter, the new MRS a miate fighter. Toyota with a sports car to fight all other sports car, then a luxury cruiser/ sports car to fight with the upper tier sports cars like the SL. IS coupe coming to fight against G37 coupe, a possible F version also? Looks like Toyota has big plans. They owe it to Naruse to release these cars!!
Agreed!!

Quick Reply: Supra and MR2 in development for 2013 Both as Hybrids