Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

In Memory: Hiromu Naruse

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 10:54 AM
TOYSPORT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Memory: Hiromu Naruse

There will be hundreds of armchair analysis about the LFA accident.

For those fortunate enough to know him or just meet him- let us share in this thread what we know of him- and remember him as one of the Legends of Toyota:

A master car craftsman

Naruse had a near-legendary standing in the top gun world of professional test driving. He was probably the most respected Japanese driver at the Nurburgring.

After joining Toyota in 1963 as a mechanic he was nearly assigned to the accounting division due to his mastery of the abacus. Fortunately Naruse ended up in vehicle evaluation and engineering, where he spent a career fettling cars which were almost at odds with Toyota’s conservative image.

It was Naruse’s move to Switzerland in 1970, where he fulfilled a crucial role in the formative years of Toyota’s motorsport division, which saw his him hone the driving skills that would gain him renown at various European circuits. Naruse was a driving force behind Toyota’s debut participation in the fabled Nürburgring and Spa-Francorchamps endurance races.

Naruse’s influence on rear-wheel drive Toyota performance cars was all encompassing. From the seminal 2000GT to the contemporary LFA (not discounting all those MR2s and Supras in between) final production approval was only given if the car in question possessed performance and dynamic finesse meeting Naruse’s exacting standards. Naruse always referred to this process of dynamic validation as "automotive seasoning".

Beyond his key role as chief test driver, Naruse was also company CEO Akio Toyoda's personal on-track driver and head of the Gazoo racing team – which runs the Lexus LFA cars that won their class at this year’s Nürburgring 24 Hours.
Old 06-24-10, 10:58 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Rip..............
Old 06-24-10, 12:07 PM
LexFather

From my understanding Toyota/Lexus building have flags at half-mast. The least we can do is sticky this in honor of a great man.

R.I.P.

Old 06-24-10, 12:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Rip
Old 06-24-10, 01:27 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RIP....so sad to hear.
Old 06-24-10, 01:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

really really sad, RIP
Old 06-24-10, 02:35 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RIP to the man who helped create the best cars that have ever come out of Toyota.
Old 06-24-10, 03:15 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

RIP, hes in a better place.
Old 06-24-10, 03:25 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

His legacy will live on though. In more than just his driving, but in the cars. The LFA isn't the only one. There are rumors on about Toyota introducing his pet projects from GRNM- Gazoo Racing Nurburgring Meister, which was his title; consisting of the MRS hybrid with 400HP in total, and another hybrid rumored to be the new Supra from the FT-HS concept featured a few years back.

They owe it to Naruse to follow through on his ideas. I pray that his legacy lives on in these cars as well as the LFA. I'm sure Akio Toyoda being the man that he is and being trained by Naruse will honor him with these cars.
Old 06-24-10, 03:36 PM
TOYSPORT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure many in this forum are interested in his many other projects at Toyota. I will have a lot more info about Mr.LFA soon. I have tried to contact some Toyota Motorsport people in Japan- from the original 2000GT Trials Team, the newer GR members, LFA development team members- and other Toyota team principals.....

He was due to be here in the US, a couple of weeks from now- to try and develop LFA parts for the US market. Many were anticipating his visit- but are now in shock.

Although Naruse-san was the "public face" chosen by Toyota and GR, there are others who have the capability and dedication to continue the final development and refinement of the production cars and competition models coming.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by TOYSPORT; 06-24-10 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-24-10, 03:41 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

may he RIP..
Old 06-24-10, 04:11 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

May he R.I.P.

Originally Posted by TOYSPORT
"Mr.LFA"
somehow, this just hits me
Old 06-24-10, 05:40 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

A great loss.
Old 06-24-10, 08:22 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My deepest condolences to his family & friends. He leaves behind a long and proud legacy of cars and for that we are all the better for, and grateful to him for.
Old 06-24-10, 09:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

THANK YOU! My world has been a better place because of Hiromu Naruse. I've owned MR2s and Supras. I've experienced the fun of cars built to drive thanks to this man.

R.I.P. while we continue to enjoy the rich legacy you've left us!

Quick Reply: In Memory: Hiromu Naruse