Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How much would you pay for supercar privilege?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 10:51 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I would pay 500 -1000 per month but I cant fit in most of the cars so I would have to pass
Old 06-22-10, 10:53 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To interject into the discussion, I am fully aware of programs, car shares that allow you to do this and the various fee agreements, including monthly pricing, points pricing, etc. The basic crux, of programs are that maintenance and cleaning is taken care of and you can select from different cars and just drive. That is what you pay for.

Mikez, to answer your question, I would pay up to $1500/mo to enjoy the ability to drive an exotic for one weekend/mo. This would of course mean that I get to pick the weekend and the exotic of my choice. Basically, I balance between owning my own for the same amount and driving it whenever, or being able to change between them.

If it is a fixed weekend every month, but different cars, the value would diminish, maybe to $1000 because I could see not being able to utilize it at all times.

If it is not fixed weekend, but same car, then I look at about $700.

Basically, I bought my M3 purely for fun/weekend driving and if I could get that experience almost on demand with various exotics, I would do it. However, it is not practical for to own one of these. Like my assumption above, gas and go means a lot.
Old 06-22-10, 10:56 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
To interject into the discussion, I am fully aware of programs, car shares that allow you to do this and the various fee agreements, including monthly pricing, points pricing, etc. The basic crux, of programs are that maintenance and cleaning is taken care of and you can select from different cars and just drive. That is what you pay for.

Mikez, to answer your question, I would pay up to $1500/mo to enjoy the ability to drive an exotic for one weekend/mo. This would of course mean that I get to pick the weekend and the exotic of my choice. Basically, I balance between owning my own for the same amount and driving it whenever, or being able to change between them.

If it is a fixed weekend every month, but different cars, the value would diminish, maybe to $1000 because I could see not being able to utilize it at all times.

If it is not fixed weekend, but same car, then I look at about $700.

Basically, I bought my M3 purely for fun/weekend driving and if I could get that experience almost on demand with various exotics, I would do it. However, it is not practical for to own one of these. Like my assumption above, gas and go means a lot.
Very useful post

The reason I asked because I want to know if its feasible to provide this sort of enjoyment to the masses. To enjoy something that you love every month of the year as if you own it without taking the hit of financial constraints. So enthusiast such as us or just car lovers, even the folks driving a 93 sienna with 4 kids can enjoy a Ferrari every month of the year.
Old 06-22-10, 10:59 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

The only "major" problem I see is that if you make it too affordable, it'll be a PITA to get a car lined up on a weekend you want
Old 06-22-10, 11:01 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Exactly, that is always an issue. But that depends if you just want a Ferrari 360 or drive the Scuderia/CCR/Zonda, because it obviously cost a lot more to fill your lineup with super exclusive new supercars where as some of the previous gen exotics are not that hard or expensive to procure.

Plus, I doubt many would care that their Ferrari for the weekend has 80k miles on it if it works and is in good shape.
Old 06-22-10, 11:34 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting thread!

...what about this.

Let's say you have a very good friend that is also very much into cars (exotics) and simply split say...$4000/mo. Guess what? Just buy it with someone! Have everything drafted up by an attorney as far as to state the terms of the agreement (i.e. when each would use it) and then if you get sick of the car...trade it in for a different make/model! You won't have to then worry about when I can have it and it would not be "rented" to you. IMHO if I had $2K a month to throw around at something like this, I would look into finding someone to go in on a purchase of one of these exotics. Better yet, if you can't find anyone $2K/mo over 5 yrs could allow you to purchase a pretty nice pre-owned exotic for around $120K. Aston Martin DB9...mmmm lol

Just looking at it from another perspective...perhaps this is something you would like as well! GL!
Old 06-22-10, 11:37 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

I was actually just talking about this with someone, 2k a month in lease / financing would net you something below 80k, and then you gotta deal with insurance, reliability issues, etc. Also not to mention from my experience of trying to finance a Lotus, they won't even consider it unless you put 50% down, so that chunk of cash has to come out of no where.

Its always better to have the car yourself, but I think if the monthly price is cheap enough, then the scale will tip since you save on all the other cost of ownership.
Old 06-22-10, 11:38 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikez
Exactly, that is always an issue. But that depends if you just want a Ferrari 360 or drive the Scuderia/CCR/Zonda, because it obviously cost a lot more to fill your lineup with super exclusive new supercars where as some of the previous gen exotics are not that hard or expensive to procure.

Plus, I doubt many would care that their Ferrari for the weekend has 80k miles on it if it works and is in good shape.
I agree with you. I am not in the position to open such a shop, but I have thought long and hard on getting together something like this. Some of the specifics I will not share for obvious reasons, but I agree with you that to an enthusiast, there is a demand and especially from the minivan dad. The issue is ALWAYS going to be price.
Old 06-22-10, 12:55 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikez
Hey fey, how much is 10usd per month if there is 50,000 in the USA willing to enjoy this privilege?

How much is each person paying for Satellite TV? A lot less than a Satellite, last time I checked.
Enough to buy and maintain about 7 - 8 cars IF you don't go nuts on the options list and IF nothing goes horribly wrong.

You want to make this so the 'average' guy can drive a supercar on the weekend. There are all sorts of issues with that go along with this; the biggest being anything that falls under a Tragedy of the Commons, it's not their car so maybe a coffee gets spilled, the kid wanted a ride and had sticky hands or muddy shoes, lips & bumpers get scraped on curbs and speed bumps, people bottom the car, rims get curbed never mind the bigger ticket problems like burnt clutches worn out gear boxes from excessive thrashing.

As I understand it the 'average' guy has a house and a car (or two) with payments and a kid or three and the general expectation is these kids will go to post secondary (which for you guys is quite expensive). Assuming most of your target customers are the average guy (not girl) they have wives that can come up with any number of 'better' ways the money being spent on the supercar membership can be spent (I think they like home improvements, kid activities, paying off debt sooner)

What about where you're going to store the cars? You need people to maintain them (unless you plan to become really good friends with a lot of the dealerships), you need parts that often don't come from North America. If you only have the 7 - 8 cars (because monthly membership is so affordable) people are going to be pissed when you've told them more than twice in a row that the car they want isn't available today. Like others, I think on demand driving counts for a lot. You need to have insurrance for EVERY type of driver, there are theft issues.

I'm not saying that the clubs need to cost as much as they currently do, but by setting the membership fee as high as they often are, it keeps a lot of the problem clientelle away and therefore the headaches that go with them.

If you're serious about this, what you need to do is start from the end dollar amount of what it really costs to run this business, including normal profit (get an economist to help you, not an accountant - you need someone overly familiar with opportunity cost) and then figure out how much you need to charge each member. Once you have that number you ask the question: "Would you be willing to pay $X/mo with this type of supercar borrowing scheme"
Old 06-22-10, 01:16 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
(get an economist to help you, not an accountant - you need someone overly familiar with opportunity cost)
roflmao! didn't see this one coming at all! correction: you'll need both an economist and an accountant, with the latter helping you to determine profitability and corporate business solutions.
Old 06-22-10, 01:20 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Enough to buy and maintain about 7 - 8 cars IF you don't go nuts on the options list and IF nothing goes horribly wrong.

You want to make this so the 'average' guy can drive a supercar on the weekend. There are all sorts of issues with that go along with this; the biggest being anything that falls under a Tragedy of the Commons, it's not their car so maybe a coffee gets spilled, the kid wanted a ride and had sticky hands or muddy shoes, lips & bumpers get scraped on curbs and speed bumps, people bottom the car, rims get curbed never mind the bigger ticket problems like burnt clutches worn out gear boxes from excessive thrashing.

As I understand it the 'average' guy has a house and a car (or two) with payments and a kid or three and the general expectation is these kids will go to post secondary (which for you guys is quite expensive). Assuming most of your target customers are the average guy (not girl) they have wives that can come up with any number of 'better' ways the money being spent on the supercar membership can be spent (I think they like home improvements, kid activities, paying off debt sooner)

What about where you're going to store the cars? You need people to maintain them (unless you plan to become really good friends with a lot of the dealerships), you need parts that often don't come from North America. If you only have the 7 - 8 cars (because monthly membership is so affordable) people are going to be pissed when you've told them more than twice in a row that the car they want isn't available today. Like others, I think on demand driving counts for a lot. You need to have insurrance for EVERY type of driver, there are theft issues.

I'm not saying that the clubs need to cost as much as they currently do, but by setting the membership fee as high as they often are, it keeps a lot of the problem clientelle away and therefore the headaches that go with them.

If you're serious about this, what you need to do is start from the end dollar amount of what it really costs to run this business, including normal profit (get an economist to help you, not an accountant - you need someone overly familiar with opportunity cost) and then figure out how much you need to charge each member. Once you have that number you ask the question: "Would you be willing to pay $X/mo with this type of supercar borrowing scheme"
In all honesty, thank you for your concerns. But this is not what the thread is about!

I am investment banker by trade so market analysis, cash flow projections and financial report accounting is what I do all day. I raise millions of dollars for companies both as private and public capital. So please don't worry. I am toying with this to get out of this business since I don't like it.

But to answer your questions:

No one said you have to buy new cars. Ferrari 355 goes for 50k usd now. Lotus Elise goes for 20k. Ferrari 360 goes for 50k (high milage), and same for Gallardo. 200k can net you a good selection of high mileage but drivable starting supercars.

Everything is covered, and should be covered, under customer insurance. As for coffee spills and burnt out clutches, that's what security deposit are for.

As for spouses, I think wives that prevent their husbands from spending 50 bucks a month is not the majority. If it is, boy have I got a lot to experience in life

I will be storing the car at a warehouse? Rents for office + warehouse locations in NJ are anywhere from 1 to 13 dollars per sqf per year.

It is all feasible, but there are a lot of variables to work out like you said.

However, my goal is not to become rich, my goal is to provide a dream that I want but could not live it, for the average folks out there like myself as well

Last edited by mikez; 06-22-10 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-22-10, 01:29 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

^ then what is the thread about?

Originally Posted by Stormforge
roflmao! didn't see this one coming at all! correction: you'll need both an economist and an accountant, with the latter helping you to determine profitability and corporate business solutions.
You are correct, I wasn't meaning you wont need an accountant at all; my point was you need the economist to help with all the hidden non-monetary costs that are often over looked.
Old 06-22-10, 01:46 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You are correct, I wasn't meaning you wont need an accountant at all; my point was you need the economist to help with all the hidden non-monetary costs that are often over looked.
yes i know dear. i was being a little facetious.
Old 06-22-10, 01:58 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

^ then what is the thread about?
Woman, please read The thread was about how much are you willing to pay for such a privilege of super car ownership as a non wealthy individuals that both fit your life style and dreams of owning those cars. If I want to do the car club for exclusively wealthy and charge 10k a year I wouldn't be asking you.

I don't need business 101 from arm chair CEO's, I am testing the idea and seeing the market response.

Different people have different views to this, and just because your business lesson is moot point to me does not mean this thread has no point. If you read, you can tell some people prefer a couple of hundred bucks, some doesn't mind a thousand, and some are iffy about the monthly commitment. Those are all good information

Last edited by mikez; 06-22-10 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-22-10, 05:14 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

This is an interesting concept. What would I personally be willing to spend? In my current finacial situation (and the forseeable future), about $100 a month. And I'd be hard pressed to justify that much, with all my other expenses.

But for that $100 i don't expect to get a brand new FXX every time. But how about a nice selection of "mid-level" sportscars. Things that could be bought for $40-60k, but the average working stiff like me just can't afford to own and insure. C5 Vettes, Elise's, NSX, well looked after muscle cars - you know, all those cars that we could almost own, but don't because they are just not practical or a notch out of reach.

I can rent super cars on vacation for for under a grand, if I really wanted. And I can go to Hertz and get a Mustang or Camaro. But an M5, S2000, or an old Austin Healey, I'm forced to buy if I wanna drive.

Cars in this price range would allow you to keep a decent size fleet of disireable vehicles, while keeping prices affordable for the average enthusiest. And they're not not expensive to operate, to boot!

Just something to think about.

Oh, and switch it from cars to bikes, and I'm sooooooo there!

Quick Reply: How much would you pay for supercar privilege?