Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need help with possible Lemon Law for my IS350

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 02:50 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Need help with possible Lemon Law for my IS350

Back ground my car has been to the dealer 8 time over the last three months with a problem with right side headlight housing failing. At first it was wobbling around as if it was completely broken. They change the house twice on that issue in order to fix it unfortunately that only lasted about two weeks each time and now the lastest issue is the headlight will shoot up about four inches higher then driver side and is point to left. Now they have change the housing two more times(totaling 4 headlight housing being changed) the self leveling senor twice and entire new self leveling ecu and it's failed again.

I told them I thought it was electric problem they told me no, they tried to blame my F-sport components I laugh at that one told them they had to do better than that. To me if the these components are all falling just on right side that there is electrical problem with ecm.

Has anyone here ever had to return there vehicle to Lexus or any other car company under lemon law and if so how did you go about it. I do have copy of current Lemon Law for the state that the car was purchased in. Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 06-16-10, 03:15 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 160 Likes on 135 Posts

I sued Ford back in '98 over an Explorer. It's not easy or fun but the outcome was positive. Got me in my first Lexus! I hired an expert witness and lawyer in that order before I had a hearing date. Some lawyers like to have the witness report before they'll take your case. I'm not sure where you purchased your IS so laws will be slightly different. But I'd start there. In the meantime, make sure you put together a chronology of events and repair orders. I have no doubt that swayed the judge my way. Good luck.
Old 06-16-10, 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by davcrz5
Back ground my car has been to the dealer 8 time over the last three months with a problem with right side headlight housing failing. At first it was wobbling around as if it was completely broken. They change the house twice on that issue in order to fix it unfortunately that only lasted about two weeks each time and now the lastest issue is the headlight will shoot up about four inches higher then driver side and is point to left. Now they have change the housing two more times(totaling 4 headlight housing being changed) the self leveling senor twice and entire new self leveling ecu and it's failed again.

I told them I thought it was electric problem they told me no, they tried to blame my F-sport components I laugh at that one told them they had to do better than that. To me if the these components are all falling just on right side that there is electrical problem with ecm.

Has anyone here ever had to return there vehicle to Lexus or any other car company under lemon law and if so how did you go about it. I do have copy of current Lemon Law for the state that the car was purchased in. Any advise would be appreciated.
If your car's electrical system is all-stock, with no aftermarket headlights, and the right-side one actually fails periodically, that is almost certain (as I understand it) to be a safety-related issue covered under lemon-laws. Many states, for example, have yearly (or periodic) safety-inspections where your car cannot pass if headlights, taillights, turn-signals, or brake lights don't work. If Lexus cannot (with factory components) repair this vehicle to the point where it has two reliable headlights, then, IMO, you may have a valid Lemon-Law case. However, I'm not a lawyer, and I'd actually speak to a lawyer first, particularly one well-versed in automotive cases.

However, if you've modified the car with more-powerful Xenon/HID lights than stock, or made other electrical modificatons that (could) affect the headlights, then, of course, it's anybody's guess....all bets may be off.
Old 06-16-10, 04:45 PM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If your car's electrical system is all-stock, with no aftermarket headlights, and the right-side one actually fails periodically, that is almost certain (as I understand it) to be a safety-related issue covered under lemon-laws. Many states, for example, have yearly (or periodic) safety-inspections where your car cannot pass if headlights, taillights, turn-signals, or brake lights don't work. If Lexus cannot (with factory components) repair this vehicle to the point where it has two reliable headlights, then, IMO, you may have a valid Lemon-Law case. However, I'm not a lawyer, and I'd actually speak to a lawyer first, particularly one well-versed in automotive cases.

However, if you've modified the car with more-powerful Xenon/HID lights than stock, or made other electrical modificatons that (could) affect the headlights, then, of course, it's anybody's guess....all bets may be off.
The car has no aftermarket lights came with factory HID's nor has it ever had any after market part install on the vehicle other than F-sport part that were all installed by dealer. Thanks for your input
Old 06-16-10, 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by davcrz5
The car has no aftermarket lights came with factory HID's nor has it ever had any after market part install on the vehicle other than F-sport part that were all installed by dealer. Thanks for your input
Good..........that should make your case somewhat easier, especially if the car is still under warranty.
Old 06-16-10, 05:19 PM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good..........that should make your case somewhat easier, especially if the car is still under warranty.
I've had it for 18 months and have 18450 miles on the car, all warranties are still in effect.
Per Connecticut Lemon Law
(Title 42 Charter743b section)

(e) it shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attemps have been undertaken to conform a motor vechicle to the applicable warranties, if

(1)the same nonconformity has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or authorized dealer during the period of two years following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to a consumer or during the first 24000 miles or which ever comes first.
Old 06-17-10, 12:16 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a lawyer that does lemon lawsuits, I know someone who had an electrical problem with his Avalon, well worth it, Toyota/Lexus will do everything to make you give up, a lawyers job is to not give up, cause it's his job
Old 06-17-10, 07:00 AM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by meowCat
OP, just wondering, did you get the IS350 brand new?

Brand new from the same dealer that currently trying to fix it.
Old 06-17-10, 01:43 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out my signature... Do your homework and research a reputable Lemon Law firm in your state. You shouldn't have to pay any money up front since most of them work on contingency. Looks like you have a good case going, which is a safety issue - malfunctioning equipment required for safe driving and fed/state requirements. The next step would be to acquire your vehicle's maintenance history from the dealership. If you have a 2nd vehicle, use it for the time being since you don't want to rack up too much mileage on the vehicle. If Lexus agrees to buy back the vehicle, they will offset the value based on mileage. Also, it would be a good way to keep it from unforeseen circumstances (i.e. accidents, door dings, chipped windshield, etc.). Keep the vehicle stock. If you upgraded your wheels or tires, those will need to be back to factory spec. If the car is still financed, your lawyer should be able to get you off the hook. If it's paid for, don't expect to get everything back, but you should still get a decent amount back. Good luck!
Old 06-17-10, 01:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

all of your lemon law info is in your manual. The have to include that info by law. Good luck
Old 06-17-10, 02:58 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 160 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by MI350_55
Check out my signature... Do your homework and research a reputable Lemon Law firm in your state. You shouldn't have to pay any money up front since most of them work on contingency. Looks like you have a good case going, which is a safety issue - malfunctioning equipment required for safe driving and fed/state requirements. The next step would be to acquire your vehicle's maintenance history from the dealership. If you have a 2nd vehicle, use it for the time being since you don't want to rack up too much mileage on the vehicle. If Lexus agrees to buy back the vehicle, they will offset the value based on mileage. Also, it would be a good way to keep it from unforeseen circumstances (i.e. accidents, door dings, chipped windshield, etc.). Keep the vehicle stock. If you upgraded your wheels or tires, those will need to be back to factory spec. If the car is still financed, your lawyer should be able to get you off the hook. If it's paid for, don't expect to get everything back, but you should still get a decent amount back. Good luck!
IMO, while it's true some lawyers will work on contingency, it's more important to do the research on them. There are very few out there that handle lemon law cases. Prior cases should be searchable online and I believe list the name of the attorney. That's a good place to start rather than the phone book.

For me, Ford had to pay for half of my legal fees and I paid for part but not all of the mileage. We wound up settling under my terms and doing an MSRP swap. The judge met with the attorneys before the hearing and pretty much forced Ford to settle. While I would have preferred getting my money back, settling wound up working just as well. And yes, the car was officially declared a lemon
Old 06-17-10, 05:16 PM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by MI350_55
Thanks for info MI350 55 you are correct regarding attorneys fees it's covered in (section 42-180 Costs and attorneys fees in breach of warranty actions) under Connecticut Lemon Law. Just to show you how dealer ship are I have all my service records and every invoice for my car but just to see what they would supply I asked for a complete service record history it's my right per Connecticut Lemon Law act (sec.42-179a Copies of paperwork or invoices)they supplied every invoice including my first oil change; ACCEPT for a visit I made on 4/15/09 problem C/S HEIGHT SENSOR IS NOT WORKING CAUSE:OPEN CIRCUIT REPLACED 857991 REPLACED HEIGHT SENSOR isn't it curious that they forgot this one. This show the problem began last year and surfaced again year later but this time around the problem continued. Meeting with Lexus Master Tech next Wednesday he wants me to bring in my stock front sway bar, they are going to try and blame the F-sport sway for this issue they must think I'm moron, considering I have the following info:
4/15/09 issue - height senor not working-cause -open circuit
3/08/10 issue - blown bulb-cause unknown
4/15/10 issue - headlight swivel wobbling - cause unit assy.
5/07/10 issue - headlight aiming 3 inch higher than driver side also pointing inboard wobbling all over place - cause - head light senor
5/14/10 issue - headlight aiming to high - cause - open circuit 6/02/10 issue - headlight aiming to high moving on it own - cause - short in wiring harness.
6/10/10 issue - headlight swivel difference of 3 inch's smoke from under hood - cause for smoke unknown no smoke detected - cause - to be determined headlight level reset by Lexus tech.
6/16/10 issue - headlight swivel wobbling, pointing down about 3 inch lower than driver side. cause - to be determined 6/23/10
What do you guys think caused by f-sport sway bar I don't think so considering the problem began year before they were installed.

Last edited by Weapon F; 06-17-10 at 05:58 PM. Reason: did not complete