Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Has Prius-Killer in the Works

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-10, 12:26 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Hyundai Has Prius-Killer in the Works

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/hyund...rks-27772.html

Hyundai Has Prius-Killer in the Works

Published April 20, 2010
Hyundai Blue Will plug-in hybrid concept

A new hybrid-only model from Hyundai will use the same dimensions and packaging as the Hyundai Blue Will plug-in hybrid concept.

Hyundai is working on a new hybrid-only model to directly compete against the Toyota Prius. “We are studying a dedicated Prius-fighter vehicle, meaning a hybrid-specific nameplate that isn’t based off a Sonata or a Santa Fe,” Miles Johnson, Hyundai product public relations manager, told HybridCars.com. “It’s its own thing.”

While Johnson did not confirm a specific production date, he placed the new hybrid-only model ahead of the Hyundai Blue Will plug-in hybrid concept. “We’ve also been studying plug-in hybrid technology, which is a bit farther out for us. But the near-term would be a Prius-sized vehicle,” Johnson said. “You can look at the dimensions of the Blue Will concept and see it would be a similar package and size to a Prius.”

Automotive News last year reported that the four-door Blue Will will launch in the United States in late 2012, according to Yang Woong-Chul, president of Hyundai-Kia Motors’ R&D division. Although the date for the Blue Will plug-in hybrid could easily slip into 2013 or later, the implication is that a new Hyundai hybrid-only model could go into production in the next two years.
Moving Target for Green Top Spot

“A hybrid vehicle usually takes double the time of a standard production car, and a plug-in even more than that,” Johnson said. “Think about how long GM has been spending on the Chevy Volt. It doesn’t happen overnight, but we’ve got some good partners with LG Chem on the batteries.” Johnson downplayed the reality of the Blue Will plug-in hybrid as “just a concept car,” but pointed to a Hyundai “Prius-fighter” as more immediate and real. “We have a lot of engineers working quietly behind the scenes. We’re really moving as fast as we can.” Both projects are being developed at Hyundai’s Namyang design center in South Korea.

Honda made its own attempt at knocking the Toyota Prius off the top spot on the green mantle when it introduced the 2010 Honda Insight last year. But the company was not successful. The 2010 Insight is almost a carbon copy of the Prius—but is smaller, uses a less robust hybrid system, and is less fuel efficient and not significantly less expensive.
Hyundai Blue Will plug-in hybrid concept

Hyundai designers took the company's "fluidic sculpture" concept to the extreme on the Blue Will. A Hyundai hybrid-only model would follow the same direction, but toned down.

Hyundai will take a different approach. We can look at the shape and design of the Blue Will—which employs Hyundai’s “fluidic sculpture” concept—for cues on the shape of a new Hyundai hybrid-only model. Johnson said the Blue Will was like “fluidic sculpture on steroids.” So, tone down all the flourishes and gadgetry to predict the design direction of a new ground-up Hyundai hybrid.

Toyota sells more Priuses than all other hybrids combined. It will be difficult for any other carmaker to pass the Prius strictly in terms of sales, but by the time Hyundai introduces its Prius-fighter, the Toyota Prius might no longer be the green car to beat. The Chevy Volt plug-in hybrid and all-electric Nissan Leaf, which respectively use little or no gasoline, will be in full production next year. In addition, Toyota will be competing against itself for top green honors when it introduces the plug-in version of the Prius in 2012. The key question, of course, is price. It’s too early to tell how low Hyundai is willing to price a new hybrid-specific model—but it will have to keep the price tag at $20,000 or lower if it wants to undercut the red-hot competition for green affordability.
The Highway Hybrid

In terms of technology, a new Prius-like Hyundai likely will follow the direction of the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, due for release in late 2010. That model uses Hyundai’s proprietary full hybrid system with lithium polymer batteries. Great pains were taken to reduce weight and improve aerodynamics in the Sonata Hybrid. An original platform should allow Hyundai to go even further. Moreover, Hyundai is emphasizing efficiency in highway driving instead of city driving.

Some hybrid drivers have been disappointed when real-world mileage does not meet the MPG numbers on the window sticker. Hyundai executives expect to earn customer loyalty by configuring and calibrating its hybrid system to emphasize faster driving, mostly on the highway. “We’re trying to delight our customers so when they see what’s on an EPA label on a Hyundai vehicle, that number is actually achievable,” said Johnson.

According to the Environmental Protection Agency’s most recent fuel economy report, Hyundai is the most fuel-efficient automaker in America. Last year, Hyundai's leadership promised to achieve the government-mandated 2016 fuel efficient standard of 35.5 miles per gallon by 2015 or earlier. “As a company, about five years ago, the chairman came out and said we need to have laser-like focus on quality. We’ve done that,” Johnson said. “Now, you’re seeing a new focus on design and the environment.”
Old 06-02-10, 12:31 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By the time this comes out, Tesla and Toyota will probably have a fully electric car.
Old 06-02-10, 12:31 PM
LexFather

Now I am much more excited about a Hyundai Prius killer vs the one the honda CEO is yapping about. Hyundai is serious.

Old 06-02-10, 12:42 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow
By the time this comes out, Tesla and Toyota will probably have a fully electric car.
supposedly late 2012 the "blue" will be out...

and...Tesla does have an electric car ....or did you mean a co-branded mostly Toyota full electric?

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Now I am much more excited about a Hyundai Prius killer vs the one the honda CEO is yapping about. Hyundai is serious.
+1, Hyundai is not screwing around like Honda...
Old 06-02-10, 12:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Whatever it turns out to be, It probably will threaten Prius sales.

On a side note, I WISH it looked like this. But alas just another concept..
Old 06-02-10, 12:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

with hyundais current stellar track record I dont doubt that they will come out with a brilliant hybrid. Those guys are on a role
Old 06-02-10, 01:37 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't bet on it. Toyota is probably the least ambitious car company when it comes to producing an electric car. They have suggested this time and time again in the press. They are avoiding producing an all electric car for as long as possible. You think they couldn't have something out there by now if they wanted to? The point is, they DON'T want to, which is why they haven't. They like having their mildly profitable Prius be the image of fuel efficiency for the brand and they don't want that to change anytime soon. Until perhaps another brand (*cough cough Nissan* *cough cough Chevrolet*) puts out an electric and/or plug-in hybrid that beats up the Prius in terms of fuel efficiency, image, and sales, don't expect Toyota to do a damn thing as far as producing a full electric car.

Last edited by Sens4Miles; 06-02-10 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 04:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
I wouldn't bet on it. Toyota is probably the least ambitious car company when it comes to producing an electric car. They have suggested this time and time again in the press. They are avoiding producing an all electric car for as long as possible. You think they couldn't have something out there by now if they wanted to? The point is, they DON'T want to, which is why they haven't. They like having their mildly profitable Prius be the image of fuel efficiency for the brand and they don't want that to change anytime soon. Until perhaps another brand (*cough cough Nissan* *cough cough Chevrolet*) puts out an electric and/or plug-in hybrid that beats up the Prius in terms of fuel efficiency, image, and sales, don't expect Toyota to do a damn thing as far as producing a full electric car.
We know;
Honda- halfass hybrids, hydrogen
Nissan-Toyota tech hybrid, electric
Toyota-hybrids, natural gas, hydrogen, electric, plug in

Clearly so far Toyota leads in hybrids and is now dipping their hands in electric. I think they might have misjudged the electric market thus (Leaf so far is promising)thus teaming with Tesla.

Hyundai is also attacking on all fronts like Toyota is. Only time will tell if Hondas investment pays off (the Clarity shows promise).

Old 06-02-10, 05:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Tesla is on some pretty shaky financial ground. And, of course, they already have an fully-electric roadster, but it simply costs too much or the average car-buyer.
Old 06-02-10, 06:47 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring it Hyundai! There is still plenty of market share for hybrids. The "fluidic sculpture" looks a lot like Mazda's styling cues..... I'm still not 100% convinced.
Old 06-02-10, 07:31 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it comes to state of the art hybrid tech such as that found in the Prius, Hyundai (and everyone else) has a lot of catching up to do.

But, I have to say I'm starting to have more faith in Hyundai than Honda even when it comes to hybrid tech. At the moment, Honda is clearly ahead in this dept., but Hyundai is advancing so quickly that I have no doubt they will become a leader.

That said, I don't see them leapfrogging Toyota in the hybrid/alternative fuel area. Hyundai may bring on a Prius competitor, but not a "killer".
Old 06-02-10, 07:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!
When it comes to state of the art hybrid tech such as that found in the Prius, Hyundai (and everyone else) has a lot of catching up to do.

But, I have to say I'm starting to have more faith in Hyundai than Honda even when it comes to hybrid tech. At the moment, Honda is clearly ahead in this dept., but Hyundai is advancing so quickly that I have no doubt they will become a leader.

That said, I don't see them leapfrogging Toyota in the hybrid/alternative fuel area. Hyundai may bring on a Prius competitor, but not a "killer".
My thought exactly after seeing the title and reading the article...
Old 06-02-10, 08:00 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

looks Mazda-ry.
Old 06-03-10, 05:17 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree. Hyundai doesn't just talk the talk, they walk the walk.
Old 06-03-10, 07:56 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
looks Mazda-ry.
That's the first thing I thought.

Looks like a Mazda front, and a Honda Insight rear...

Quick Reply: Hyundai Has Prius-Killer in the Works