Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one
Benz E550 Coupe
16.33%
Audi S5
83.67%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Benz E550 Coupe vs Audi S5

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-10, 10:31 AM
daudi81
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benz E550 Coupe vs Audi S5

My wife gave me the go-ahead to get a 2door, so these are the 2 I'm narrowing it down to. I know this is a Lexus forum (I have a GS430), but I figured I would get unbiased opinions here rather than asking in audi/mb forums.

Both Audi and MB dealerships do not have either of these in stock, and won't for a few months. Don't worry I won't purchase before I do test drives. I've driven an 09 BMW M3, and although I like the speed and ungodly handling, the car just felt cheap inside, especially compared to my GS430. But I guess I am still considering it. I would consider an IS-F, but 4 people in my neighborhood have one already and I don't think they stand out like the other 2.

Does anyone have experience with these? What would you get?
Old 05-31-10, 10:46 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you replacing your GS or will this be your toy? Both are very nice cars. I would go with the Audi but that's just me.

If your keeping the GS as your daily drive and this 2 door is more of a toy I would look more for a sports car. The GS makes for a great all around car. Having a toy in the garage would be a nice compliment
Old 05-31-10, 10:54 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't get the E550. I drove that and didn't like it. Didn't seem very sporty or performance driving oriented. Also while I like the E550 sedan, the c-class roots show very clearly on the interior trim of the E550 coupe. It felt a little cheap in terms of hard plastics, center console, etc.

The Audi S5 seems to be a much better car to me. I would suggest you get the RS5 if you can manage it. RS5 is coming out in September in the US.
Old 05-31-10, 11:04 AM
daudi81
Rookie

We're getting a Lexus LX SUV, so we don't need the room of the 4door GS. So I will be getting rid of it for the coupe. Will still be MY daily driver (wife gets the SUV, w/ the kids etc).

Is the RS5 basically an S5 with a few upgrades (power/handling/etc)? I don't necessarily care about tear jerking track performance - just want something fast, semi-sporty, comfortable - since most/all driving will be on city roads - although I do like to carve the canyons every now and then.

Will entertain any other ideas in the price/performance range, these are just the 2 I was eyeing.
Old 05-31-10, 11:07 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daudi81
We're getting a Lexus LX SUV, so we don't need the room of the 4door GS. So I will be getting rid of it for the coupe. Will still be MY daily driver (wife gets the SUV, w/ the kids etc).

Is the RS5 basically an S5 with a few upgrades (power/handling/etc)? I don't necessarily care about tear jerking track performance - just want something fast, semi-sporty, comfortable - since most/all driving will be on city roads - although I do like to carve the canyons every now and then.

Will entertain any other ideas in the price/performance range, these are just the 2 I was eyeing.
Audi's RS line is a true competitor to AMG and BMW M. They are race tuned cars.

I think from your description of what you are looking for, the Audi S5 is the right choice and the best car for the price.

If you were prepared to spend over $70k then I would look at a Jag XK8, or even waiting for the next gen BMW 650i which should be out early next year and which is supposed to be stunning.
Old 05-31-10, 11:19 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get the S5 over the E550 coupe. I see both cars quite frequently in Stuttgart, and the S5 is just beautiful. E550 is ok, but I think the S5 is one of those cars that has classic status potential.
Old 05-31-10, 11:34 AM
1wacko
Intermediate

Received 183 Likes on 97 Posts

I concur with batman75 about the RS, and it is different from the S5 from a look and a performance point of view. The S5 is an A5 with some engine upgrade.

If I would choose one, and I can spend the extra bucks, I would get the RS5 over the E550 or the S5, but if price is an issue I would get the S5 over the E550.
Old 05-31-10, 01:34 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Asking a bunch of people on a forum which car is best for you is never a good idea, in my opinion. The majority of people on any car forum have their own biases and preferences and these influence their choice.

What suits their needs may not satisfy your own.

The A5/S5 is the sportier of the two while the E550 coupe is a cruiser. Both cars might be in the same class and rivals, but fundamentally they couldn't be more different. The S5 is for people who enjoy a bit of sporty driving whereas the E550, although sporty in its own way, is more engineered for a comfortable cruise. From reviews, I'd say that both are pretty comfortable and capable, but the E550 has the edge in comfort and the S5 leads in driving dynamics.

I'd also suggest looking at the convertible versions of these two cars. I myself am very fond of the E convertible, which I find more attractive than the sedan.
Old 05-31-10, 01:39 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I vouch for the E coupe. Looks hot, and its new. A5 looks good too, but Ive never really been a fan of Audi interiors (no idea why people think they are good).
Old 05-31-10, 01:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

S5 would be closer to the M3 than the E550 in terms of sport, if that's what your going for. E550 to me seems more like a boulevard cruiser
Old 05-31-10, 02:39 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by daudi81
I don't necessarily care about tear jerking track performance - just want something fast, semi-sporty, comfortable - since most/all driving will be on city roads - although I do like to carve the canyons every now and then.
This one sentence outlines exactly what car you should go for...

Mercedes E550 Coupe

The S5 is a psuedo sports car that probably won't be comfortable enough for you. I'm guessing you're looking to spend $60K so you're options are limited, but I think you will enjoy the E550 more day to day than the S5.

But you need to test drive both so that you can determine which would suit you're commute best. Both cars are honestly absolutely amazing. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 05-31-10, 03:25 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

CTS-V coupe might do the trick!
Old 05-31-10, 03:45 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't driven either (I will eventually) but I've sat in both. Well, the E35 cause no E55 was available.
The E coupe interior felt really cheap for a Benz imo. The styling is new but is one that sometimes looks good but not so good at other angles.
The S5 doesn't look bad at any angle and it's interior had no faults. Only gripe is one I can't verify until I drive it. I don't prefer all wheel drive cars.
The Benz is pure rear wheel drive so it get's kudo's for that.

You have to drive both. Asking us won't really help.
Old 05-31-10, 03:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

between the two i'd choose the s5 for sure
Old 05-31-10, 04:13 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
between the two i'd choose the s5 for sure
Must be the fugly factor , same for me ......

Quick Reply: Benz E550 Coupe vs Audi S5