Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car for 18 year old guy? Suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-10, 06:10 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Gas mileage is not good, and premium gas is required.
Those are pretty big turn offs. I think he would LOVE an IS300, but that thing would suck a lot of his money. Since he'll be a college student he'll be one a pretty tight budget.
Old 05-30-10, 06:13 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
Out of the list, look for a two to three year old Mazda 3, they are reliable, hold their value well and are fun to drive!
Among others, I'd agree with the Mazda3 suggestion, especially the non-turbo model. I'd avoid the turbo MazdaSpeed3 version as a used car for several reasons, even over and above the fact that most of them would probably be over the 10K limit. Used turbos are often a risky buy, and they often have a history of having been driven hard.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sorry for chiming in late. I also suggest something easy to park as in college the car seemingly goes everywhere and has to be parked everywhere.

A Mazda 3 5 door? Or even a Mazda Protege or Protege 5?
I personally love the Mazda3 and I think he would too.

It's a nice youthful looking car especially the 1G models I'm looking at. Only problems I'm running into are locating some in my area. It's strange because I see a lot of 1Gs on the roads but apparantly not many on the used market.

Anyway, it's got a great interior, pretty good gas mileage, and good crash test specs
Old 05-30-10, 09:20 PM
tardorange
Driver

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Ok.

Yeah he's going to college in the midwest (greater Chicago), so FWD/AWD are definitely plusses.

He's never driven a manual before...

And I would like the car to have the basics like power windows/locks, AC, etc.

Probably shopping used, but I'll check out a new Versa or Hyundai
Just get a 07/08 Camry or a 06/07 civic. Cheap, reliable, fuel efficient.
Old 05-30-10, 09:28 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mazda 3 is the best of the bunch for sure. I vote for mazda 3.
Old 05-31-10, 05:27 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carLx
Mazda 3 Fuel efficient, stylish and has enough power for him.
Old 05-31-10, 08:35 AM
LexFather

Now that I think about it I wanted to have sex everywhere when I was 18 so I now suggest;
Sienna
Odyssey
Grand Caravan

J/K

Old 05-31-10, 01:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Now that I think about it I wanted to have sex everywhere when I was 18 so I now suggest;
Sienna
Odyssey
Grand Caravan

J/K
I won't lie and say I never had the urge, but most of the time I was too busy driving.

I took a number of solo medium-length trips alone to the MD/VA mountains at age 17, and my first solo long one (300+ miles) across the mountains to Ohio at age 18..the night after my graduation.

Seriously, vans and young people aren't necessarily incompatable. After the muscle-cars died out in the early-mid 70s, but before the age of minivans in the 1980's, full-sized vans were quite popular with teens and young adults, particularly with custom trim and interiors. They became quite a fad. A common purchase, back then, was a metal-walled van with no trim inside and just one or two factory seats, and then a trip to the customizing shop for the rest. I can't count the number of 70's-vintage Ford Econoline, Chevy Express, and Dodge Sportsman vans I remember wth custom interiors.

Songs were even written about these vans, like about the GTOs, beach wagons, and sports cars of 10-15 years earlier.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-31-10 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-31-10, 02:15 PM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Is there a 0-60 time one shouldn't go lower than for a new driver? Don't consider cars faster than 9.0 seconds? 8.0 seconds?

OTOH, a car that has crisp 0-30 times can be safer than a slow car. I was looking for an 83-85 MB 300D for one of my sons. (Never did find a good one.) I test drove a beautiful 78 240D, with one less cylinder and no turbo. Yikes, pulling out into traffic was a death wish.
My first car was the 76 300D, still the 5-cylinder, but no turbo (I believe they introduced that in 77). We timed it once, & it took about 30 seconds to reach 60. I can't imagine what the 240D would feel like. I did enjoy the car, & it was well built, but I've yet to drive a slower car. I got rear-ended by a guy in a sunfire once, & I barely felt anything. Of course, being slow didn't stop me from acting like a idiot. I quickly found out it would top out at 95 on flat ground, 105 downhill, & as low as 55 uphill. That's where my speed stayed most of the time I had the car.

That being said, get him something safe, & if the kid wants to go fast, take him to an SCCA event. It'll give him a chance to get it out of his system safely & learn how to handle the car better at the same time. Most of the cars on your list sound reasonable to me. I personally prefer the Mazda 3 or the Impreza, but I can't say the other options are a bad idea.
Old 05-31-10, 02:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlewbell
My first car was the 76 300D, still the 5-cylinder, but no turbo (I believe they introduced that in 77). We timed it once, & it took about 30 seconds to reach 60. I can't imagine what the 240D would feel like. I did enjoy the car, & it was well built, but I've yet to drive a slower car. I got rear-ended by a guy in a sunfire once, & I barely felt anything. Of course, being slow didn't stop me from acting like a idiot. I quickly found out it would top out at 95 on flat ground, 105 downhill, & as low as 55 uphill. That's where my speed stayed most of the time I had the car.
70's vintage M-B diesels were like tanks. I know a lady who had one for over 25 years. Back then, M-B did what was arguably the most durable car in the world. Quality did not start to drop until the 1990's.

That being said, get him something safe, & if the kid wants to go fast, take him to an SCCA event. It'll give him a chance to get it out of his system safely & learn how to handle the car better at the same time.
Or, just go to a good high-performance driving school like Skip Barber or Bondurance.

I personally prefer the Mazda 3 or the Impreza, but I can't say the other options are a bad idea.
Many of us in this thread agree on the Mazda3 and Impreza.
Old 05-31-10, 02:44 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1sicklex
now that i think about it i wanted to have sex everywhere when i was 18 so i now suggest;
sienna
odyssey
grand caravan
:d

j/k
DUDE, an LS400 would be a better sex car than a minivan because minivans have too many rows..........

One big backseat is all you need
Old 05-31-10, 02:47 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carLx
Originally Posted by lamar411
Mazda 3 Fuel efficient, stylish and has enough power for him.
Originally Posted by Dlewbell

That being said, get him something safe, & if the kid wants to go fast, take him to an SCCA event. It'll give him a chance to get it out of his system safely & learn how to handle the car better at the same time. Most of the cars on your list sound reasonable to me. I personally prefer the Mazda 3 or the Impreza, but I can't say the other options are a bad idea.
70's vintage M-B diesels were like tanks. I know a lady who had one for over 25 years. Back then, M-B did what was arguably the most durable car in the world. Quality did not start to drop until the 1990's.

Or, just go to a good high-performance driving school like Skip Barber or Bondurance.

Many of us in this thread agree on the Mazda3 and Impreza.
Located a loaded 2005 Mazda3 and plan to look at it the end of this week
Old 07-02-10, 04:53 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Default UPDATE: Got the car!

Well it took longer than I expected to find a car for him, but I got one and I'd like to give a huge thanks to MMARSHALL!

I got him an 06 Subaru Impreza Outback. I think he's gonna love it. Since it took so long to get the car, this is gonna end up being more like a 4th of July present than a grad gift, but oh well. I'm excited for him and I can't wait to get it to him.

Thanks everyone again, and I'll be posting pics tomorrow!
Old 07-02-10, 05:25 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on the Subaru Impreza, good choice!!
Old 07-02-10, 06:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Well it took longer than I expected to find a car for him, but I got one and I'd like to give a huge thanks to MMARSHALL!

I got him an 06 Subaru Impreza Outback. I think he's gonna love it. Since it took so long to get the car, this is gonna end up being more like a 4th of July present than a grad gift, but oh well. I'm excited for him and I can't wait to get it to him.

Thanks everyone again, and I'll be posting pics tomorrow!
Great choice and thanks for the update!

Old 07-02-10, 08:46 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am sad to hear you did not heed my advise and bought him a beetle!

Nice choice and best of luck

Quick Reply: Car for 18 year old guy? Suggestions??