Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Performance Line (IPL) is coming this year (priced)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 11:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Stupid name. It's an Infiniti Infiniti. Like when the Seville STS was the Seville Seville Touring Sedan and the Mini Cooper JCW is the Mini Cooper John Cooper Works.
Old 08-13-10, 07:22 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Looks horrible. So when is putting running boards on a sport coupe a good idea?! Makes you think the designers are not in touch with current trends and live in their own lala world.
I agree, the looks are not that stirring, at least not from photos. But in all fairness, the IS-F looks doudy and thick for a super sports sedan. Not any better IMO.
Old 08-13-10, 08:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Sick, the point is not the peak hp figure, rather the fact that for what is essentially the F-sport equivalent, you ADD a couple of hp. doesn't really matter that it's 18. The point is, it's there.
Well I have said many times its great they are selling their version of F-sport. It can add some much needed money to dealers in the parts/service department (labor). It has a warranty.

The thing is Lexus never advertised the HP gains of the F-sport intake and exhaust. Looking at the literature if you get both they state it adds 9% power. So its minimal around 10hp for both. I think that is legitimate as adding exhausts and intakes today don't really do much without ECU remapping.

However we see the argument from many of their fans over the years. More HP = the best even if its slower and doesn't perform like it should. A lot of people have the Mustang Mentality that more HP=faster automatically.

Originally Posted by S8B
And vice versa. A G37 equipped with the 7AT or 6MT will not lose to an IS350 in straight line acceleration. And a G37 still has an edge around a circuit track.

This new G37 'IPL' should have absolutely no problem taking on a base IS350 and it should be interesting to see how it does against an IS350 with the F-Sport upgrades.

The base IS350, compared to a G37 or 335i, is boring. But that's just my personal opinion.
There hasn't been any proof a G37 will beat an IS 350 even if the G37 has a new tranny and near 30 more hp. The proof we have seen is the IS 350 is still faster.

I would be interested to drive this IPL G37 vs an F-sport IS 350 or just any IPL G37 but they likely won't have any driving events.

Old 08-13-10, 10:41 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I have said many times its great they are selling their version of F-sport. It can add some much needed money to dealers in the parts/service department (labor). It has a warranty.

The thing is Lexus never advertised the HP gains of the F-sport intake and exhaust. Looking at the literature if you get both they state it adds 9% power. So its minimal around 10hp for both. I think that is legitimate as adding exhausts and intakes today don't really do much without ECU remapping.

9% of 306 ponies is 27hp.

So one does get 333hp with the F-Sport trim IS350?

Nice detail. Lexus should ADVERTISE it.

edit

checked the site, and the gains are "up to" 3% for the intake and 1.5% for the exhaust... sure you didn't mix up '%' with 'hp' ?

Last edited by MR_F1; 08-13-10 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-13-10, 01:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MR_F1
9% of 306 ponies is 27hp.

So one does get 333hp with the F-Sport trim IS350?

Nice detail. Lexus should ADVERTISE it.

edit

checked the site, and the gains are "up to" 3% for the intake and 1.5% for the exhaust... sure you didn't mix up '%' with 'hp' ?
Thats my bad I did mix it up Either way as you can see it helps somewhat and its realistic. Intakes and exhaust are not magic mods anymore.

So a G37 has 330hp right and it gains 18hp to 348. So that is about a 5% gain, so its very comparable.

Okay doing some more reading this car is odd. For instance you can only get the IPL G37 in two colors. Red interior from the Bloomingdales edition is only available with the automatic it seems.

So I'm confused if these are stand alone parts or some sort of package with a bodykit? Hell the brakes are the same, no BBK is offered.

Edit-guess its some sort of model.

Last edited by LexFather; 08-13-10 at 01:20 PM.

Old 10-01-10, 07:19 AM
LexFather

Debuts in Dec...pricing is ridiculous

The company has announced the Infiniti IPL G Coupe price list for the USA market, where the new version of the model will go on sale on December 10th. The Infiniti IPL G Coupe is powered by a 3.7-liter V6 engine developing 348 hp at 7,400 rpm, which is 18 hp more than the standard car, and 276 lb-ft of torque of torque, which is 6 lb-ft more than standard. The Infiniti IPL G Coupe can be ordered with either a 7-speed automatic transmission or a 6-speed manual gearbox.

The Infiniti IPL G Coupe price list starts at 47,950 USD for the manual version and at 49,850 USD for the automatic.
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Infin...upe-Price.html

Old 10-01-10, 08:31 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at the pricing of the 335i vert and IS 350c/F-Sport, I think the Infiniti is pretty competitive.

That said, I think this whole crop of cars is overpriced. They should be more like $50K at the top end, not $60K+ when loaded.
Old 10-01-10, 11:10 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Looking at the pricing of the 335i vert and IS 350c/F-Sport, I think the Infiniti is pretty competitive.

That said, I think this whole crop of cars is overpriced. They should be more like $50K at the top end, not $60K+ when loaded.
Exactly, the price is competitive. Its not like its supposed to be a volume seller. Its just another thing to add to the lineup. It is likely just an introduction to what infiniti will offer in the future. Hopefully a true performance line like ///M cars or AMG cars
Old 10-01-10, 12:14 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

defenitely agree...

regarding the IPL...good start-off move from Infiniti IMO. get the ppl used to IPL amenities, then introduce a full-out IPL model with the next generation G to compete with the F/AMG/RS/M brand.

i dont think the model will have an issue being sold, there are many dedicated Nissan/Infiniti enthusiasts that's been waiting distinct model from Infiniti. this should quiet them down until they produce the F/AMG/RS/M fighter
Old 10-01-10, 12:42 PM
LexFather

Mind you I think its great they are offering basically NISMO JDM parts here as IPL. Its a good start.

Now 60% of the cars sold are entry level G37s and you can lease them under $300 so its not like people are buying them outside of "value". They need to seriously evaluate their pricing and realize they are simply asking too high a MSRP only to have huge subsidized leases and tons of MSRP on new models.

Not a good business model. Price is lower since its not seen as competitive.

Last edited by LexFather; 10-01-10 at 12:53 PM.

Old 10-01-10, 01:03 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Mind you I think its great they are offering basically NISMO JDM parts here as IPL. Its a good start.

Now 60% of the cars sold are entry level G37s and you can lease them under $300 so its not like people are buying them outside of "value". They need to seriously evaluate their pricing and realize they are simply asking too high a MSRP only to have huge subsidized leases and tons of MSRP on new models.

Not a good business model. Price is lower since its not seen as competitive.
I don't see where you always get these leases that are under $300. The least Ive ever seen is $319 with almost 4k down and 39mo lease. If you are talking about those local ads from various dealers that lease it for really cheap but require a 10k downpayment. Then your comment need not apply. Local bmw, mbz and lexus dealers do that as well.

You should probably give mercedes and bmw the same advice
Old 10-01-10, 01:05 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a good economic model.
under $300…I doubt that, not without a high down payment that is (which is stupid for leasing). more likely under $400

my sister leased an ’09 G37 sedan with nav, non-sport last November. best we could work was $425, 1500 down and 12k yr (based on a 40k vehicle). I thought that was a very good deal, Lexus wouldn’t even consider that offer on a is250 nav model…

I wonder what the G25 pricing is going to look like and if an IPL G25 will be made available…
Old 10-01-10, 01:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
I don't see where you always get these leases that are under $300. The least Ive ever seen is $319 with almost 4k down and 39mo lease. If you are talking about those local ads from various dealers that lease it for really cheap but require a 10k downpayment. Then your comment need not apply. Local bmw, mbz and lexus dealers do that as well.

You should probably give mercedes and bmw the same advice
Everyone offers leases with BMW, INfiniit having the best rates 9 times out of 10. No one can touch Infiniti lease rates. This is not any new trend and not worth defending. No one can touch G37 lease rates which make the car as affordable as a Camry/Accord/Altima. See below as an example

Originally Posted by madoka
From another website:

2010 G37 Sedan Base Sedan

MSRP 34115
(Target) Selling Price $30000
Drive off: First Month Payment + ~$50 doc fee + DMV fee + SalesTax on $1000 incentive
Monthly Payment for 3yr/30K miles: $309 + tax
Monthly Payment for 3yr/36K miles: $318 + tax
Monthly Payment for 3yr/45K miles: $336 + tax

If you put down 9 security deposits, money factor drops by 9*0.0001 =0.0009
Total Deposit will be $3150 or $3600 depending on the sales tax rule of your state.
Monthly payments will be:

Monthly Payment for 3yr/30K miles: $262 + tax
Monthly Payment for 3yr/36K miles: $271 + tax
Monthly Payment for 3yr/45K miles: $290 + tax

Originally Posted by baddis es
under $300…I doubt that, not without a high down payment that is (which is stupid for leasing). more likely under $400

my sister leased an ’09 G37 sedan with nav, non-sport last November. best we could work was $425, 1500 down and 12k yr (based on a 40k vehicle). I thought that was a very good deal, Lexus wouldn’t even consider that offer on a is250 nav model…

I wonder what the G25 pricing is going to look like and if an IPL G25 will be made available…
Exactly. The value in the cars is incredible when you lease. A lot of car for the money in the G37.

G25 pricing is here.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/30/i...cing-released/

We already knew that the base G25 starts at a very reasonable $30,950 ($31,825 with $875 destination), or $4,100 less than the base G37 Journey. That starting price won't come with such niceties as Bluetooth, dual climate control or a USB interface for your electronic gadgets. To reach that level of refinement you'll have to step up to the G25 Journey, which stickers for $32,350 ($33,225 with destination). To add all-wheel drive to your G25 you'll have to come up with still more cash. The G25X has all the standard equipment of the G25 Journey, but adds AWD and a snow mode for $33,950 ($34,825 with destination).
To ME they should have introduced the car around 45k and made it a value, even 42k, really get people to look at the product. The IS F-sport package is a 45k car with some options.

Old 01-12-11, 08:55 PM
LexFather

Egads....0-60 in 5.8 seconds... Not sure why its so underwhelming. $50 grand too. Hello 1M

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...l-g-coupe.html

The 2011 Infiniti IPL G Coupe is the first vehicle to sport Infiniti's new Infiniti Performance Line (IPL) series of modifications. More in the spirit of F-Sport, S line and A-Spec rather than AMG or M (unless you count AMG's body/wheel kits and BMW's M Sport offerings), the IPL lineup involves subtle tuning and augmented appearance packages rather than full-on significant new model-name-requiring changes.

For example, the 2011 Infiniti IPL G Coupe is fitted with the same 3.7-liter V6 found in the Infiniti G37 but makes 347 horsepower thanks to a tweaked engine management system and a high-flow dual-exhaust system.

Other modifications include a new front and rear bumper/front fascia design with integrated foglights, new side sills, a rear spoiler, chrome exhaust tips and 19-inch IPL split seven-spoke graphite-finish wheels.

So, how does the new IPL G Coupe and its 18-horsepower and 6 pound-feet upgrade do in our testing? Follow the jump to find out...

Vehicle: 2011 Infiniti IPL G Coupe
Odometer: 3,489
Date: 1/5/2011
Driver: Chris Walton
Price: $48,825 (base)

Specifications:
Drive Type: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive
Transmission Type: Six-speed manual
Engine Type: DOHC, port-injected 3.7-liter V6
Displacement (cc/cu-in): 3,696cc (226 cu-in)
Redline (rpm): 7,500

Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 348 @ 7,400
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 276 @ 5,200
Brake Type (front): 14-inch rotors with four-piston fixed calipers
Brake Type (rear): 13.8-inch rotors with 2-piston fixed calipers
Steering System: Power rack-and-pinion steering
Suspension Type (front): Independent double wishbones, coil springs, stabilizer bar
Suspension Type (rear): Independent multilink, coil springs, stabilizer bar
Tire Size (front): 225/45 R19 92W
Tire Size (rear): 245/40 R19 94W
Tire Brand: Bridgestone
Tire Model: Potenza RE050A
Tire Type: Summer Performance
Wheel size: 19-by-8.5 inches front, 19-by-9 inches rear
Wheel material (front/rear): Aluminum alloy
As tested Curb Weight (lb): 3,696

ipl_r34_1600.jpg Test Results:

Acceleration
0-30 (sec): 2.4 (2.9 TC On)
0-45 (sec): 4.0 (4.7 TC On)
0-60 (sec): 5.8 (6.5 TC On)
0-75 (sec): 8.3 (9.2 TC On)
1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 14.0 @ 102.1 (14.6 @ 100.8 TC On)
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 5.5 (6.3 TC On)

Braking
30-0 (ft): 28
60-0 (ft): 114

Handling
Slalom (mph): 67.5 (66.2 TC On)
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.87 (0.86 TC On)

Sound
Db @ Idle: 46.0
Db @ Full Throttle: 80.2
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 68.2

Comments
Acceleration: Aside from the trac-on run, which is very punishing, this car is very consistent despite launch technique. Not a fan of the engine drone and gear whine, but it is a fairly torquey V6. I don't recall a clutch-pedal damper (on return) like this one has.

Braking: Also, very consistent stopping distances over five runs. Little dive, but noisy ABS and vibrating bushings.

Handling: Skid pad: Subtle but steady understeer on the limit of grip that can't be driven through. Steering feels heavy for heavy sake. With ESC on, it doesn't intrude very much at all -- some understeer. Slalom: Not a fan of the unnecessarily gooey steering feel and artificial weight that makes the car feel reluctant and heavy. Turn-in is crisp and the car takes a set quickly. Good in transition, and throttle response does help rotate the car. With ESC on, the brakes dab just a little to snub understeer and take away the ability to rotate the car.

Old 01-12-11, 10:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Those are definitely disappointing performance numbers, but then again Edmunds usually does get slow numbers. I wonder what numbers C&D will get.

Still not a fan of that "snow plow" body kit and that huge ride height.