Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Performance Line (IPL) is coming this year (priced)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 08:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Allen K
Great news, but like some others, I hope they give it a catcher acronym.
Well the name "infiniti" is confused to this day and their vehicles use either the worst letters or letters already used so don't expect much. Hell IPL could be "Initial Program Load" or "Indian Premier League" but you have to be a CPU geek or follow Cricket What is important is they are indeed going to offer these parts which any enthusiast should applaud.

What is of particular interest is the possible "boost" from forced induction. If they pull that off with the assumed factory warranty that is a damn great move by them.

Nismo parts are mostly rebadged parts from other companies, not much is built in house. Infiniti has wanted to use Nismo parts for sometime but did not want Nismo associated with Infiniti as that is Nissan's performance arm. So likely these might be rebadged Nismo parts in most cases sold as IPL for Infiniti which makes marketing sense.

Nismo has a nice site.

http://www.nissanusa.com/nismo/

Here is a Nismo Nissan Skyline, our G37. Makes sense just to rebadge the parts and not make new ones.

Old 05-25-10, 09:31 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since Yamaha has been busy making engines for other manufacturers, I wonder if they will get a deal done with Infiniti ?
Old 05-25-10, 09:40 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Since Yamaha has been busy making engines for other manufacturers, I wonder if they will get a deal done with Infiniti ?
Huh? They make engines for some "city" cars and assisted developing the engine and acoustic sound of the LFA (they don't build it). Not sure why Nissan would turn to them especially since Nissan has experience in Forced Induction.

If you read, it says F/I not new engines. This is not a performance arm but performance parts ala AMG sport, F-sport, M-sport......

Old 05-25-10, 10:03 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

that's good to hear

hope they don't call it IPL, sounds like a bad stock that I should stay faaaar away from
Old 05-25-10, 10:37 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rsantiago
That's true for stateside folks but in (PI) Pinas the luxury/performance is reserved for the big boys (old timers with serious money or government connected *wink*
True.....but there is a possibility that it *might* change.......though that's up to the newer generation of auto buyers to implement this and make it work........

Anyways
Like what other premium automakers have atm (i.e. Lexus ISF, Audi RS5, MB S65 AMG, BMW M6, etc etc), will Infiniti have something like this in the future?

With that said, I do hope that Infiniti would follow that route hehe
Old 05-25-10, 10:42 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Lexus, when is F-Sport going to get Turbo/Superchargers for the IS350 and more importantly, the IS250?

Whatever happened to the Carbon brakes for the IS-F?
Old 05-25-10, 11:06 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

So this is an F-Sport-like add on group of parts rather than a dedicated line of cars like F, AMG, and M right?
Old 05-25-10, 11:06 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Huh? They make engines for some "city" cars and assisted developing the engine and acoustic sound of the LFA (they don't build it). Not sure why Nissan would turn to them especially since Nissan has experience in Forced Induction.

If you read, it says F/I not new engines. This is not a performance arm but performance parts ala AMG sport, F-sport, M-sport......
I think he's referring to the engine in the Ford SHO from the early 90's.
Old 05-25-10, 11:09 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
So Lexus, when is F-Sport going to get Turbo/Superchargers for the IS350 and more importantly, the IS250?

Whatever happened to the Carbon brakes for the IS-F?
I don't see why the IS350/250 need turbo kits. That would just dilute the purpose of the IS-F, and "could" hurt IS-F sales.

They need a from the factory F Sport package and not just dealer accessories. IPL will be a dealer accessory program more or less like Acura's A-spec and the current F Sport program.

FYI the current F Sport IS is 10% more powerful than the stock IS.
Old 05-25-10, 11:14 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
That's Hott... Bout time! And hey, might as well. Look at the success of AMG and //M

There is always gonna be a market for Performance + Luxury
Agreed, the best of both is what a lot of us want.
Old 05-25-10, 11:15 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The way I see it, an F-sport turbo/supercharger wouldn't hurt the IS-F sale because 110hp boost over a stock IS350 is quite a lot. These cars will most likely see only 60hp or so. No way would Toyota want to warranty a 415hp IS350. Sure you could up the boost but then your factory warranty will be voided. Most people who want more power will probably go the custom route instead. The F/I add-ons are more for those who want a bump in the power department while retaining their factory warranty. Look at the previous TRD setups that were available. They gave a very modest boost in power.
Old 05-25-10, 11:32 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
The way I see it, an F-sport turbo/supercharger wouldn't hurt the IS-F sale because 110hp boost over a stock IS350 is quite a lot. These cars will most likely see only 60hp or so. No way would Toyota want to warranty a 415hp IS350. Sure you could up the boost but then your factory warranty will be voided. Most people who want more power will probably go the custom route instead. The F/I add-ons are more for those who want a bump in the power department while retaining their factory warranty. Look at the previous TRD setups that were available. They gave a very modest boost in power.
Like the available 408hp manufacturer warranty backed Dinan 335i. Is it a threat to the 414hp M3?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...specialty_file
Old 05-25-10, 02:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

They have Nismo parts for the G35 coupe and sedan. This is like going to the next level
Old 05-25-10, 11:29 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I don't see why the IS350/250 need turbo kits. That would just dilute the purpose of the IS-F, and "could" hurt IS-F sales.

They need a from the factory F Sport package and not just dealer accessories. IPL will be a dealer accessory program more or less like Acura's A-spec and the current F Sport program.

FYI the current F Sport IS is 10% more powerful than the stock IS.
different folks, different strokes. Plus the IS250 is in dire need of more horses.
Old 08-12-10, 10:35 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post G

A 348-hp Infiniti G coupe with chrome exhaust tips and red-stitched leather seats will serve as the first model of the brand's new Infiniti Performance Line.

The specialty-performance subbrand, intended to pit Infiniti more competitively against European luxury makes such as BMW and Audi, will be unveiled tonight during the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance classic car show in Pebble Beach, Calif.

In a statement released today, Infiniti revealed that the performance coupe will be in showrooms nationwide in December for sale as a 2011 model.

The company said it expects to have a range of vehicles under the Infiniti Performance Line brand logo in the future.

Infiniti has lagged other luxury brands in creating a performance subbrand. Audi offers S-branded performance models, BMW has the M performance brand and Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus brand now includes F performance models.

The performance coupe's 348-hp, 3.7-liter V-6 claims 18 more horsepower than the standard Infiniti G37 coupe with the same size engine.

Ben Poore, vice president of the Infiniti business unit, said in the company statement that the new models will go “beyond equipment upgrades” to include changes in the vehicles' exhaust sounds, ride comfort and handling.

The performance models, branded with a red letter “I” on their trunk lids, will use new engine and suspension tunings and new components for brakes, exhaust systems, seats and bumpers.

The performance coupe's 348-hp, 3.7-liter V-6 claims 18 more horsepower than the standard Infiniti G37 coupe with the same size engine. The performance model has 276 pounds-feet of torque, 6 pounds-feet more than the standard G coupe.

The interior of the performance coupe offers red-stitched leather seats.

Other differences include a rear spoiler; aluminum interior trim; aluminum pedals; 19-inch, 7-spoke graphite-finish wheels; a different engine cover; and stiffer tuning on front and rear springs. The model uses a different muffler to yield different exhaust sounds, according to the company's statement.

The model will come in just 2 colors: graphite shadow and malbec black.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Performance Line (IPL) is coming this year (priced)