Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

U.S. sales of quirky 5-series GT disappoint BMW

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-11, 09:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's the same end result for the last 30 years. Americans do not like cars in between a sedan and SUV. They either like a sedan or they like an SUV. Most hatches have failed here and more will continue to.
The Subaru Forester and Outback have both been hugely successful. They do pretty much what you have just said here.......combine a slightly-raised regular auto-chassis with AWD SUV all-weather capability. The public (including myself) loves it. The Volvo XC-70, which is done on the same general idea as the Forester and Outback (combining a regular Volvo 70-series car on a raised-chassis with a full-time AWD system), is also quite popular, but not to Subaru levels.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-25-11 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-25-11, 09:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fizzboy's point exactly. The Forester and Outback (current versions now designated as SUVs), current versions sized and styled with the height/weight/profile of small SUVs, have had far more sales success than the smaller wagon-like previous gen versions.
Old 05-25-11, 09:44 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The GT disappoints because its ugly. And because here in America, we are so obsessed over the SUV, wagons and 5 door hatchbacks wont sell as well like they do in Europe. Its the "Bigger is better" mentality that stands here in the USA.
Old 05-25-11, 09:57 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
If we can learn anything from the 5GT and the R class, is that people are not willing to spend 60K on this type of minivan alternative. They would much rather go the full SUV route
so true

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's the same end result for the last 30 years. Americans do not like cars inbetween a sedan and SUV. They either like a sedan or they like an SUV. Most hatches have failed here and more will continue to.
what about the venza? I haven't looked at the numbers but I think it's a success?

for the 5GT, besides being ugly, it's toooo damn expensive.
Old 05-25-11, 10:02 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS3Tek;6416897

what about the [COLOR="DarkRed"
venza[/COLOR]? I haven't looked at the numbers but I think it's a success?

for the 5GT, besides being ugly, it's toooo damn expensive.
Venza is a success compared to Crossturd/ZitDX/5GT, but still relatively low volume compared to SUVs like Highlander/CRV/Forester/Outback/RAV4, etc.

And Venza looks good to most which is a plus.
Old 05-25-11, 10:29 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Subaru Forester and Outback have both been hugely successful. They do pretty much what you have just said here.......combine a slightly-raised regular auto-chassis with AWD SUV all-weather capability. The public (including myself) loves it. The Volvo XC-70, which is done on the same general idea as the Forester and Outback (combining a regular Volvo 70-series car on a raised-chassis with a full-time AWD system), is also quite popular, but not to Subaru levels.
Those Subarus have not been a success by volume. They only sell in limited numbers in foul-weather climates. They are not mainstream contenders.