Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

U.S. sales of quirky 5-series GT disappoint BMW

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 04:57 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

So how do the 5GTs sales compare to the last gen wagon? IIRC, that didn't sell all that well in the US either.
Old 05-25-10, 05:16 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't even think a 4 banger option would help that thing. I'm all for "unique" or polarizing designs but this one is completely lost on me and anyone who I've encountered. Absolutely no positive buzz on this one.
Old 05-25-10, 05:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Allen K
So how do the 5GTs sales compare to the last gen wagon? IIRC, that didn't sell all that well in the US either.
This is a question I've seen elsewhere and it seems no better than the wagon. Though this is costlier.

Old 05-25-10, 08:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Certainly AWD should be expected in this type of big wagon-thing.
For the price, I certainly can't disagree or say otherwise.........the one I drove listed for some 75K. And its 450 ft-lbs. of torque would just laugh at the added weight/drag of AWD (not that this is exactly a light car to begin with).
Old 05-25-10, 08:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For those of you, BTW, who feel that this car should have a V6, check this out. It's probably the next-best thing:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...t/default.aspx

The 535GT, though, is done on a regular 5-series platform, not a 7-series like the 550GT.
Old 05-26-10, 08:14 AM
JKN2000
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno, maybe its just me. It looks like a copy of an X6 BMW. Maybe its just my eye sight. But they look fairly similar. But I would not buy an X6 let alone a 550 GT.
Old 05-26-10, 08:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JKN2000
It looks like a copy of an X6 BMW.
It sits much lower than an X6, which is considered a true SUV. It also lacks AWD like the X6. The 550GT is considered an upmarket wagon......a different class altogether then the X6.
Old 05-26-10, 09:25 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For those of you, BTW, who feel that this car should have a V6, check this out. It's probably the next-best thing:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...t/default.aspx

The 535GT, though, is done on a regular 5-series platform, not a 7-series like the 550GT.
Both the 550GT & 535GT share the same platform.
Old 05-26-10, 09:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Both the 550GT & 535GT share the same platform.
Yes, both are done on a modified 7-series platform, not a 5-series. I should have been more clear on that. The old 535s were not.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-26-10 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-26-10, 10:36 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugly, heavy, no performance edge, pricey all contribute to this poor sales result.
Old 05-26-10, 07:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Ugly, heavy, no performance edge, pricey all contribute to this poor sales result.
Ugly?.........that's subjective. Pricey, yes. Heavy, yes. But what do you mean, no performance edge? I've driven this car. It takes off like a scared cat, despite its weight. It also has the typical BMW superb steering/chassis.
Old 05-27-10, 09:20 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ugly?.........that's subjective. Pricey, yes. Heavy, yes. But what do you mean, no performance edge? I've driven this car. It takes off like a scared cat, despite its weight. It also has the typical BMW superb steering/chassis.
That's exactly what he means, no performance edge. 0-60 in around 5.5 seconds is not a performance edge in this price range, especially when BMW (sticking to just that one car maker for example) offers cars for under 75% of the price that are quicker cars with better handling and steering, not to mention less ugly, less overweight, less fuel-inefficient (based on objective measurements).

Last edited by IS-SV; 05-27-10 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-28-10, 02:46 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you'd think that people would buy anything from BMW regardless of how it looks. but i think the GT is too ugly in looks. seen it in person at a BMW event. the features are nice though.

like the huge brakes on the car are nice. the two way opening trunk is nifty.
Old 05-23-11, 07:47 AM
LexFather

So it seems 5GT sales have been a disaster and BMW wagon owners have jumped to Mercedes......

U.S. sales of quirky 5-series GT disappoint BMW

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz1NBeTTS00

BMW's 5-series Gran Turismo was meant to be a stylish alternative to minivans and crossovers when it debuted in November 2009. But sales of the tall, quirky five-door have been disappointing.

Now, BMW of North America CEO Jim O'Donnell says he wishes the company hadn't stopped selling the 5-series wagon in the United States last year. BMW had expected the 5-series GT to attract those wagon buyers, but the GT is luring owners of the more-expensive 7-series sedan instead.

"The disappointment I have is that I thought a lot of our 5-series station wagon customers would go with the GT," O'Donnell says. "In point of fact, that is not happening. We have lost those customers to the competition -- mainly to Mercedes-Benz.

"The GT has attracted 7- and 5-series customers and conquests," he says, "but not the station wagon customer we had hoped."

In Florida, 10 percent of BMW 7-series owners have replaced their cars with the 5-series GT, O'Donnell says.

The GT uses the platform of the larger 7 series but starts at $57,375 for the 535i GT, while the 7 series starts at $71,525 for the 740i sedan. Prices include shipping.

When the GT was launched in the United States, BMW executives said they expected annual sales of 4,000 to 8,000 units. BMW sold 2,848 GTs in 2010 and just 720 in the first four months of 2011. Sales of the 5-series wagon peaked at 2,351 units in 2005.

The 5-series GT's styling has been controversial. Dealers say some buyers dislike the hatchback configuration and some object to its high rear-end design.

"Americans don't like hatchbacks no matter how much Europeans want us to like them," says John Mantione, general manager of Fields BMW in Winter Park, Fla. "But it's a great value -- a 7-series car for the price of the 5 series."

One public dealership group has stopped ordering the GT because of slow sales. Other dealers said they sell one or two GTs a month.

"They just sit there," says Nick Toomey, general manager of Rallye BMW in Westbury, N.Y. "I don't know why it takes a long time to sell."

O'Donnell says he doesn't want to lose wagon sales to Mercedes-Benz so BMW will keep the 3-series wagon in its lineup.

"We are not giving up the 3-series wagon because if you give it up, they will go straight to the competition," he says.

As for bringing back the 5-series wagon, O'Donnell says it may be too late for this generation.

"It's in the back of my mind," he says. "When we do the next generation, maybe we should."

Old 05-23-11, 08:12 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are these people stupid. Did they really expect it to do well?
They must think we are stupid.
It's an unattractive, overpriced and heavy vehicle without a clear niche. I don't see any reason it would be successful.

Quick Reply: U.S. sales of quirky 5-series GT disappoint BMW