Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti M Coupe and Convertible NOT Under Consideration (Infiniti says nope!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 07:08 AM
St00k
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Infiniti M Coupe and Convertible NOT Under Consideration (Infiniti says nope!)

I think I'd take an M56 Coupe over an E550 Coupe....

Infiniti M Coupe and Convertible Under Consideration : Auto News

Having just launched the impressive new M range of luxury sedans, Infiniti is now considering expanding the lineup to include both an M Coupe and an M Convertible. News of the new additions to the M lineup comes via InsideLine, which reports Nissan execs are seriously debating the two door models.

As surprising as it sounds at first, the move actually makes a great deal of sense with a M 2-door and drop-top competing directly with the Mercedes E-Class Coupe and Convertible and the upcoming BMW 6 Series lineup. With Mercedes offering both an E350 and E550, we’re likely to see Infiniti offer both the coupe and convertible as M37 and M56 models delivering horsepower and performance on-par with the Mercs.

Somewhat surprisingly, the M models might not be the bargain option in the segment, with the M56 sedan currently priced at $58,000 – a $3,000 premium over the E550.
Old 05-17-10, 07:14 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

meh, I wouldn't buy one, but hey since the G coupe sells so well, why not make an M coupe for the G-ers to move up to. not a bad idea i guess...
Old 05-17-10, 07:16 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Infiniti needs "basic" cars before they venture into "niche" markets.

They need a sport compact (the G does well), a flagship (there is none; the M is middle-class), and a defining grand SUV (nothing; the EX/FX are compact entry level).
Old 05-17-10, 07:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Coupes are where its at! Kudos to Infiniti & its progression as I am sure this coupe will be a looker.. I believe the Infiniti Essence concept was the case study for this upcoming coupe.
Old 05-17-10, 08:13 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

They need a sport compact (the G does well), a flagship (there is none; the M is middle-class), and a defining grand SUV (nothing; the EX/FX are compact entry level).
I completely agree with you Phil, they have to sure up the basics before they move on to the spin offs.

I will note that they do have a grand SUV (QX) but it is ugly as all sin. They do need a flagship, bringing back the Q possibly, before they go coupe and vert crazy.

I will say though, I would like to see what they look like.
Old 05-17-10, 08:55 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is a great idea, and a no-brainer. It would also be a nice step leading to the reintroduction of the Q down the line, if successful. The EX and FX are in sore need of help, but I think an M coupe would be fitting for the brand and would likely be very successful.
Old 05-17-10, 09:11 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

I'm for it if they clean up the back end
Old 05-17-10, 10:31 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I personally think Infiniti is a niche. Inifiniti doesn't have a big line-up. I'm sure Infiniti feels that the G line does well with the various variants and they are working on the M. There are three SUV's from Infiniti and that pretty much sums up Infiniti's line-up.

As for Lexus, Lexus is working on doing everything well because everything matters (taken from the Mercedes commercial). Lexus has a much bigger line-up than Infiniti, from the CT 200h to the LFA and pretty much everything in between.

Inifiniti is doing what they think matters and mad props to them. Infiniti should bring the GTR to the Infiniti side to be it's halo car...
Old 05-17-10, 10:45 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That is good news and I hope it is credible and they are serious about it but they had better do a much better job design wise then they did with the new M37/56. I think it is safe to say the new M is a pretty big disappointment exterior styling wise to most who were looking forward to it, especially the M37 which is just plain boring looking and uninspired and basically just resembles a larger and curvier G37 that does not set itself apart like the last M did. The new Maxima looks more striking and more upscale then the new M which is pretty bad.

If a M coupe just looks like a larger curvier G37 or a two door M sedan it is not going to be a big seller especially if it is priced as much or higher then much of its competition like the new M is.

A M coupe should basically follow the winning formula of the G35 coupe, great styling(like the Essence) that is very different from the sedan with more power/performance and a very attractive price tag that is a good deal lower then the competition. Hell, price it lower then the M sedan to get people talking and feeling it is too good to pass up. It would be nice if it also had a more unique driver oriented interior like the Essence but it is doubtful they will spend the money to do that.
Old 05-17-10, 12:14 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Old 05-17-10, 12:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like a molested G37
Old 05-17-10, 12:25 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Why do you people continue to insist that Infiniti "needs" a flagship? They're not big sellers (just look at the pitiful A8 sales month after month) and the market is already crowded enough with flagships, so why should they bother with another Q at the moment? I think Infiniti putting out an M coupe/convertible is a smart move. Where is the GS coupe? where is the IS coupe? Is there a TL coupe? no. Is there an RL coupe? no. Clearly, there is a shortage of premium japanese luxury coupes. Why not offer an M coupe? seems like a no-brainer to me.

The G25 is coming, an M hybrid is coming, an all-electric Infiniti sedan is coming, all of which will be much more desirable options than yet another gas-guzzling flagship that nobody wants.
Old 05-17-10, 12:30 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Why do you people continue to insist that Infiniti "needs" a flagship? They're not big sellers (just look at the pitiful A8 sales month after month) and the market is already crowded enough with flagships, so why should they bother with another Q at the moment? I think Infiniti putting out an M coupe/convertible is a smart move. Where is the GS coupe? where is the IS coupe? Is there a TL coupe? no. Is there an RL coupe? no. Clearly, there is a shortage of premium japanese luxury coupes. Why not offer an M coupe? seems like a no-brainer to me.

The G25 is coming, an M hybrid is coming, an all-electric Infiniti sedan is coming, all of which will be much more desirable options than yet another gas-guzzling flagship that nobody wants.
If Infiniti wants to position themselves as a sportso Japanese brand like a Porsche or whatever, they're "flagship" could be a coupe or a rebadged GTR or something. But I think most of us agree they need SOMETHING as their flagship.

It's not that it needs to be another S/LS/7. It's that they need a car that sits atop the lineup that defines the brand. The most expensive car now is a gas guzzling 7 passenger SUV...

That goes completely against everything they're trying to be...

Soooo the point being they need something more expensive and more brand representative than the QX.

Last edited by (Cj); 05-17-10 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-17-10, 12:33 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

IMHO, they really dont need an M coupe. Just take the G coupe more upscale. Dont waste time and money developing something they dont need at the moment. Invest that money into a true LS fighter and future mainstream models.
Old 05-17-10, 12:35 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

"Basic cars" are just boring. Infiniti is a unique niche brand & I like their business model. If they wanted basic cars, all Infinit has to do is slap the badge on more of the Nissan cookie cutter cars (like the front drive Altima) and sell them in abundance.

Quick Reply: Infiniti M Coupe and Convertible NOT Under Consideration (Infiniti says nope!)