Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti M Coupe and Convertible NOT Under Consideration (Infiniti says nope!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 09:47 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Oh, have you driven an M56? I suppose if the M56 rides like a 370Z, then a 7 Series rides like a 3 series (that being said, the 7 Series sells pretty damn well, all things considered)

No, I don't have sales figures, but I live in the most populated city in the US and I've seen exactly "1" IS-C on the road since it's been out.. that should tell you everything you need to know about its sales figures.

Either do it right or don't do it all. Lexus didn't need to bring out an overpriced convertible that nobody asked for. It's important to bring out new product, yes, but it's also important to have the insight to bring out the right product. The IS-C was a very bad idea, with even worse execution. They might as well have just brought back the Sportcross.
I see as many ISC's as I do F's here in sunny Southern California. We all know NYC is the most populated city in the US but people don't buy cars there as often as more widespread cities and there aren't enough days to enjoy a convertible there, Summer is barely here, that could be why you don't see very many.
Old 05-18-10, 09:55 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
But since you've brought up the LFA, it is not my cup of tea because it is too boy racerish, has a holloween pumpkin face, being rationed out for $375k with no takers to date (the 2 CL prospective buyers are out of the running), etc....
For somebody who prides himself in knowing as much as possible before making an argument, you've just back-stepped a whole lot.
Old 05-18-10, 10:11 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't know if everyone remembers, but Infiniti actually did produce M30 coupe and covertible back in the days. Remember these?
yep.

Ice cube was trying to convince everyone that it in Three Kings
Old 05-18-10, 10:46 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Not sure where you've been driving but I see them all the time on the Belt Parkway, Southern State and the LIE....
I'm always on the LIE and Grand Central Pkwy and I never ever see one. I frequently drive throughout Queens and Manhattan and like I said, I've seen exactly "1" on the road. I see tons of G37 coupes however, so at least in NYC, the IS-C is a complete failure. I see many IS250s, several IS350s, and even a few IS-Fs, but hardly any IS-Cs. I would love to know the sales figures of the IS-C vs. the IS-F. Something tells me that they're not too far away from each other in total units sold..
Old 05-18-10, 11:00 AM
LexFather

I'm always on the LIE and Grand Central Pkwy and I never ever see one. I frequently drive throughout Queens and Manhattan and like I said, I've seen exactly "1" on the road. I see tons of G37 coupes however, so at least in NYC, the IS-C is a complete failure. I see many IS250s, several IS350s, and even a few IS-Fs, but hardly any IS-Cs. I would love to know the sales figures of the IS-C vs. the IS-F. Something tells me that they're not too far away from each other in total units sold..
So b/c you don't see the IS-C with your own eyes in NYC, it is a failure? What other cars are failures with this logic, or rather lack of it?

It isn't even a volume model, nor is the G37 C or 335 convert or A5 convert. They are not cars people will see everyday, especially in colder climates.

Also the G37/Infiniti is well known to be the "Jersey Shore" car/brand so their popularity is understandable there. Ironically the word begins with a G.

Old 05-18-10, 11:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I commute everyday to & from downtown Manhattan & Queens and the IS-C is sparce.. There are a number of 335c in the city.. Hell there will be a local meet @Rallye BMW (which I will be attending on 5/29) & good percentage are pushing 335c's.

Now back to the thread topic, I can't wait to see this big boy Infiniti M coupe & vert
Old 05-18-10, 11:18 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So b/c you don't see the IS-C with your own eyes in NYC, it is a failure? What other cars are failures with this logic, or rather lack of it?

It isn't even a volume model, nor is the G37 C or 335 convert or A5 convert. They are not cars people will see everyday, especially in colder climates.

Also the G37/Infiniti is well known to be the "Jersey Shore" car/brand so their popularity is understandable there. Ironically the word begins with a G.
Have you ever even been to NYC? Sorry, no where near the "jersey shore". Think long island, think hamptons, think money. I grew up on long island and I drive over 100 miles a day for work in and out of NYC, so I think I know what I'm talking about here. I can't go on any of the major highways without seeing a G37 coupe. I see many A5s on the road as well. I find it laughable that the assumption here is that there are just as many IS-Cs sold here as there are G37 coupes. Sure, they must all be undriven and parked in garages somewhere

I think you're missing my point, however. The point is that the IS-C is a complete failure in terms of sales. It is a tiny niche that no one asked for. So I will reiterate my point in that the IS-C was not the right product, because it does not sell. We're not talking exotic/rare territory here. The IS is the entry-level model from Lexus. Surely you're not suggesting that Lexus put out the IS-C to sell in the same numbers as the IS-F, are you?
Old 05-18-10, 11:30 AM
LexFather

Have you ever even been to NYC? Sorry, no where near the "jersey shore". Think long island, think hamptons, think money. I grew up on long island and I drive over 100 miles a day for work in and out of NYC, so I think I know what I'm talking about here. I can't go on any of the major highways without seeing a G37 coupe. I see many A5s on the road as well. I find it laughable that the assumption here is that there are just as many IS-Cs sold here as there are G37 coupes. Sure, they must all be undriven and parked in garages somewhere

I think you're missing my point, however. The point is that the IS-C is a complete failure in terms of sales. It is a tiny niche that no one asked for. So I will reiterate my point in that the IS-C was not the right product, because it does not sell. We're not talking exotic/rare territory here. The IS is the entry-level model from Lexus. Surely you're not suggesting that Lexus put out the IS-C to sell in the same numbers as the IS-F, are you?
Lol, first I did drive the M56 and yes, I am from NY

You have absolutely NO FACTS to back up the IS-C is a failure, NONE. You are basing your "fact" on your "Eyes" and what you have seen. I am not going to argue with your opinion that "you think" the IS-C is a failure but I will argue you have nothing to back your opinion up at all. You are entitled to think the IS-C is a failure.

As a member stated we noticed IS sales have stayed solid even as it is one of the older cars now and it is possible the IS-C is helping. However without sales numbers being split we don't know the facts.

Nowhere have I or anyone stated the IS-C sells in the same amount as the G37 coupe, that would be ridiculous so not sure why you brought that "assumption" when NO ONE is assuming that. It is clear the G37, 335 coupe are dominant and now the A5 coupe is outselling the G37 coupe. It is a segment getting more crowded as the CTS coupe is coming.

I find it real funny you find the IS-C to be a failure and targeting a niche when Infiniti as a brand is pretty much a failure and a niche. I don't even know why we are talking about the IS-C?

I mean even the Infiniti forums know about the "jersey shore" Infiniti/G stereotype

Old 05-18-10, 11:36 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The point is that the IS-C is a complete failure in terms of sales.
Lexus' goal for the IS-C is about 14k units a year.

Folly, really. The whole IS line sold about 50k units for 2009 (which was a pretty bad year in general).

That means that almost 30% of their sales should be convertibles.

The ratio should be much smaller. Convertibles should be less than 10% of total sales of a model's line-up.

Is it a failure? Well, it didn't meet expectations. I think Lexus should have set their goal a little more conservatively. I would have guessed only half of those sales, like 7k IS-C a year. And I think Lexus is pulling that off, which is as good as the G37 convertible and the 3-Series convertible...
Old 05-18-10, 11:49 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Sooooo, Annnnyways. I think this M coupe is a good idea if only for the fact that the Germans seem to have a lock on the segment. I think it's time for an Asian maker to advance the pack and I think Infiniti is more than capable.
Old 05-18-10, 11:55 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Failure? Not in the bay area.... Ive seen quite a few roaming the streets...
Old 05-18-10, 12:02 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Lol, first I did drive the M56 and yes, I am from NY
Oh, do you live here now? Could have sworn you were from Atlanta (nothing like NY)

You have absolutely NO FACTS to back up the IS-C is a failure, NONE. You are basing your "fact" on your "Eyes" and what you have seen. I am not going to argue with your opinion that "you think" the IS-C is a failure but I will argue you have nothing to back your opinion up at all. You are entitled to think the IS-C is a failure.
And you have absolutely no facts to back up the IS-C being any kind of success, none. Since I live in the most populated region in the country, and I'm on the road daily in a mix of city/highway driving, I can only use my eyes as a way to judge the most frequently seen cars on the road. The IS-C isn't even on the radar.

As a member stated we noticed IS sales have stayed solid even as it is one of the older cars now and it is possible the IS-C is helping. However without sales numbers being split we don't know the facts.
Exactly, for all we know, Lexus sells 50 units/month of the IS-C. That being said, what is the best way to judge if the car is a success if we don't have sales figures? If you actually SEE IT on the road. I see tons of Maximas, ES350s, G37 coupes, A4s, A5s, etc. The IS-C is one of the least seen luxury cars on the road.

I mean even the Infiniti forums know about the "jersey shore" Infiniti/G stereotype
Since we're now discussing stereotypes, the IS250 has a few of their own, but I'll just leave it at that
Old 05-18-10, 12:05 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Lexus' goal for the IS-C is about 14k units a year.

Folly, really. The whole IS line sold about 50k units for 2009 (which was a pretty bad year in general).

That means that almost 30% of their sales should be convertibles.

The ratio should be much smaller. Convertibles should be less than 10% of total sales of a model's line-up.

Is it a failure? Well, it didn't meet expectations. I think Lexus should have set their goal a little more conservatively. I would have guessed only half of those sales, like 7k IS-C a year. And I think Lexus is pulling that off, which is as good as the G37 convertible and the 3-Series convertible...
Well, as 1SickLex has mentioned time and time again, reaching sales goals is much more important than actual total units sold. That is, after all, his basis for calling the new TL a complete FAIL. So that being the case, both the IS-C and HS250H are complete failures, because neither one are reaching sales goals.
Old 05-18-10, 12:20 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

And you have absolutely no facts to back up the IS-C being any kind of success, none. Since I live in the most populated region in the country, and I'm on the road daily in a mix of city/highway driving, I can only use my eyes as a way to judge the most frequently seen cars on the road. The IS-C isn't even on the radar.

Exactly, for all we know, Lexus sells 50 units/month of the IS-C. That being said, what is the best way to judge if the car is a success if we don't have sales figures? If you actually SEE IT on the road. I see tons of Maximas, ES350s, G37 coupes, A4s, A5s, etc. The IS-C is one of the least seen luxury cars on the road.
Since you conveniently ignored the argument I brought up in my last post, let me try this again, with a little more detail. Here's some sales stats, right from this site:

May 2009: 2913 units of IS sold.
June 2009: 3465 units of IS sold. (first month IS-C went on sale)
July 2009: 4029 units of IS sold.

Clearly the IS-C boosted the overall IS sales by a good margin.

As far as you not seeing it on the road, maybe you should invest in a pair of glasses, because I live in the same city as you, and I see them fairly frequent. Not as frequent as the 3 series coupe/convertible - these are really dollar a bucket, but there's a good number of them out there, especially the past couple weekends, the weather was warm, and I saw quite a few with the top down.
Old 05-18-10, 12:40 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

This sounds like a good idea. Hopefully they can offer a more usable trunk since the G coupe doesnt have much of one. A flagship isnt what infiniti needs. Expanding their current lineup by adding different variants makes more sense, which they are doing with the G25, and adding hybrids. If they did this whole m56 coupe, and it actually did well, then it wouldnt be too off to add a flagship in the future

But I do have to comment on the IS-C. I live in LA. I drive around hollywood, beverly hills, everywhere. I have seen a total of 3 IS-C's since its debut. But then again, I've only seen about 3 G convertibles. The IS-C is fugly and the G convertible doesnt have a usable trunk. Lexus doesnt split up its sales likely because it doesnt sell. I have nothing to back this up but you can tell what sells and what doesnt living in LA

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-18-10 at 01:40 PM. Reason: hypnotik, please read our forum rules regarding moderators

Quick Reply: Infiniti M Coupe and Convertible NOT Under Consideration (Infiniti says nope!)