Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti M Coupe and Convertible NOT Under Consideration (Infiniti says nope!)

Old 05-17-10, 01:20 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
I think Infiniti putting out an M coupe/convertible is a smart move. Where is the GS coupe? where is the IS coupe? Is there a TL coupe? no. Is there an RL coupe? no. Clearly, there is a shortage of premium japanese luxury coupes. Why not offer an M coupe? seems like a no-brainer to me.
But they don't sell. They're minimally profitable (if profitable at all) after R&D, manufacturing, and marketing.

The GS coupe = SC430. The IS coupe = IS-C. Both sell very small quantities. Even Toyota killed the Solara because it doesn't sell. Their sedan counterparts are actually more sporty and better balanced.

Acura killed all of their coupes, but let's not use that as a basis for good judgement. No RSX, No NSX, etc.

Infiniti needs a more stable product line. Yes, a coupe/convertible would be nice, but the G37 in all it's form does that sufficiently. A long-base M35/47 would be a more appropriate choice to make a true flagship, instead of a coupe/convertible.
Old 05-17-10, 01:36 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
If Infiniti wants to position themselves as a sportso Japanese brand like a Porsche or whatever, they're "flagship" could be a coupe or a rebadged GTR or something. But I think most of us agree they need SOMETHING as their flagship.

It's not that it needs to be another S/LS/7. It's that they need a car that sits atop the lineup that defines the brand. The most expensive car now is a gas guzzling 7 passenger SUV...

That goes completely against everything they're trying to be...

Soooo the point being they need something more expensive and more brand representative than the QX.
Yea, I get it and I don't necessarily disagree. I think they should maybe rebadge/upgrade the GTR into a sorta flagship coupe at some point. It would certainly give them a halo car and separate them from the Lexus/MB/BMW formula, which would give them added distinction in the premium market. I know there was serious consideration to initially badge the GTR as an Infiniti before it debuted, so I'm sure it's still a possibility at some point.

I just think they care more about volume right now, so their focus is more on mainstream products than a top of the line flagship that will only probably move 100 units/month or less. I know they're also throwing around the idea of another FWD sedan to compete with the ES sedan (I37?), so I think their focus is more on volume right now than niche. No one can say that their bread and butter is not their entry-level G line, so how can you argue with success? And I don't consider an M coupe/convertible to be a "niche" product either. It's simply their attempt at broadening a line that has already been pretty successful for them.
Old 05-17-10, 01:50 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
But they don't sell. They're minimally profitable (if profitable at all) after R&D, manufacturing, and marketing.

The GS coupe = SC430. The IS coupe = IS-C. Both sell very small quantities. Even Toyota killed the Solara because it doesn't sell. Their sedan counterparts are actually more sporty and better balanced.
Well, the SC is outdated, overpriced, and dead (and it's not a real coupe anyway - it's a convertible). The IS-C is not a real coupe either - not everyone wants a convertible and in fact, most apparently don't (thus the slow sales). The styling of the IS-C is pretty bland and honestly, Lexus probably should have just waited until the next generation IS to offer any kind of coupe/convertible instead of trying to mold the current sedan styling into a coupe (doesn't really work).

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Acura killed all of their coupes, but let's not use that as a basis for good judgement. No RSX, No NSX, etc.

Infiniti needs a more stable product line. Yes, a coupe/convertible would be nice, but the G37 in all it's form does that sufficiently. A long-base M35/47 would be a more appropriate choice to make a true flagship, instead of a coupe/convertible.
I agree about a long wheel base M as a possible flagship sedan. The Q is dead, so let it remain dead. A premium LWB M with all available options is a great idea and probably something that they should seriously consider
Old 05-17-10, 02:58 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Keep in mind that Infiniti is also trying to build a presence in Europe now and cars like an M coupe have appeal both in America and Europe. I have always thought they should do a bigger coupe and I hope they build this one.
Old 05-17-10, 03:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know if everyone remembers, but Infiniti actually did produce M30 coupe and covertible back in the days. Remember these?

Old 05-17-10, 03:19 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, I get it and I don't necessarily disagree. I think they should maybe rebadge/upgrade the GTR into a sorta flagship coupe at some point. It would certainly give them a halo car and separate them from the Lexus/MB/BMW formula, which would give them added distinction in the premium market. I know there was serious consideration to initially badge the GTR as an Infiniti before it debuted, so I'm sure it's still a possibility at some point.

I just think they care more about volume right now, so their focus is more on mainstream products than a top of the line flagship that will only probably move 100 units/month or less. I know they're also throwing around the idea of another FWD sedan to compete with the ES sedan (I37?), so I think their focus is more on volume right now than niche. No one can say that their bread and butter is not their entry-level G line, so how can you argue with success? And I don't consider an M coupe/convertible to be a "niche" product either. It's simply their attempt at broadening a line that has already been pretty successful for them.
I think the problem with Infiniti is that they have no direction at this point. They have sporty cars like the G, a gas guzzling wannabe Escalade, an all electric car coming, a few soccer mom cars, and possibly an ES competitor coming.

No vision and direction for the brand is a very bad sign. For example that's why Acura went from #1 luxury brand in the US in 1986 to 1 of the least respected names in the business today. Infiniti needs direction or else it's going to repeat it's mistakes of the 90s are probably die for good this time...

That's what a flagship does. It shows you want the brand is about and it shows you that the brand KNOWS what it's about. This is why Lexus has succeeded and will continue to succeed.
Old 05-17-10, 10:12 PM
LexFather

If this does come I called it waaaaaaaaaaaaay last year. Only makes sense, eveything is FM based, same engines, I mean it couldn't cost that much to make a coupe out of it. I would love to see it but I hope it looks much better than the sedan.

Originally Posted by Och
Looks like a molested G37
I never was impressed by the Essence, looks good but like a Mazda concept to me

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Coupes are where its at! Kudos to Infiniti & its progression as I am sure this coupe will be a looker.. I believe the Infiniti Essence concept was the case study for this upcoming coupe.
It is amazing you crap all over the LFA and love a concept that will never make production

Well, the SC is outdated, overpriced, and dead (and it's not a real coupe anyway - it's a convertible). The IS-C is not a real coupe either - not everyone wants a convertible and in fact, most apparently don't (thus the slow sales). The styling of the IS-C is pretty bland and honestly, Lexus probably should have just waited until the next generation IS to offer any kind of coupe/convertible instead of trying to mold the current sedan styling into a coupe (doesn't really work).

I agree about a long wheel base M as a possible flagship sedan. The Q is dead, so let it remain dead. A premium LWB M with all available options is a great idea and probably something that they should seriously consider
No one wants a LWB M56 that will have the ride of a 370Z.

The SC is 9 years old what do you expect? We don't have IS C sales figures do you?

Funny you say Lexus should wait when Lexus continues to pump out new product. Infiniti continues to wait and struggle, they are 2nd to last in sales, 55-60% are from the G37.

Old 05-17-10, 10:32 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

No one wants a LWB M56 that will have the ride of a 370Z.
Oh, have you driven an M56? I suppose if the M56 rides like a 370Z, then a 7 Series rides like a 3 series (that being said, the 7 Series sells pretty damn well, all things considered)

The SC is 9 years old what do you expect? We don't have IS C sales figures do you?
No, I don't have sales figures, but I live in the most populated city in the US and I've seen exactly "1" IS-C on the road since it's been out.. that should tell you everything you need to know about its sales figures.

Funny you say Lexus should wait when Lexus continues to pump out new product. Infiniti continues to wait and struggle, they are 2nd to last in sales, 55-60% are from the G37.
Either do it right or don't do it all. Lexus didn't need to bring out an overpriced convertible that nobody asked for. It's important to bring out new product, yes, but it's also important to have the insight to bring out the right product. The IS-C was a very bad idea, with even worse execution. They might as well have just brought back the Sportcross.
Old 05-18-10, 06:18 AM
LexFather

Oh, have you driven an M56? I suppose if the M56 rides like a 370Z, then a 7 Series rides like a 3 series (that being said, the 7 Series sells pretty damn well, all things considered)

No, I don't have sales figures, but I live in the most populated city in the US and I've seen exactly "1" IS-C on the road since it's been out.. that should tell you everything you need to know about its sales figures.

Either do it right or don't do it all. Lexus didn't need to bring out an overpriced convertible that nobody asked for. It's important to bring out new product, yes, but it's also important to have the insight to bring out the right product. The IS-C was a very bad idea, with even worse execution. They might as well have just brought back the Sportcross.
Yes, I have driven the M56and shared my review..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ht=1sickreview

Wow, so "seeing" indicates sales results. That is a foolproof method and one used by scientists.

Why are you beating up the IS C? The G37 c hasn't done ANY better in comparisons with its tiny trunk, usual lack of refinement and giant SC 430 looks. Now you bring up the Sportcross? You want to talk about failure?

M30-discontinued
J30-discontinued
G20-discontinued twice
I35-discontinued
Q45-discontinued
QX56-moved to 3 different platforms

However doesn't matter, I see you have posted here 4 times in the last few months, all in Nissan threads. So this will fall on deaf ears.

Old 05-18-10, 06:41 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It is amazing you crap all over the LFA and love a concept that will never make production

I thought this thread was about a possible Infiniti M coupe & vert But since you've brought up the LFA, it is not my cup of tea because it is too boy racerish, has a holloween pumpkin face, being rationed out for $375k with no takers to date (the 2 CL prospective buyers are out of the running), etc....

Infiniti I am sure will make a sexy mature obtainable coupe that will not be rationed.
Old 05-18-10, 06:57 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I thought this thread was about a possible Infiniti M coupe & vert But since you've brought up the LFA, it is not my cup of tea because it is too boy racerish, has a holloween pumpkin face, being rationed out for $375k with no takers to date (the 2 CL prospective buyers are out of the running), etc....

Infiniti I am sure will make a sexy mature obtainable coupe that will not be rationed.
So again you are hating on a production exotic supercar but excited about something that will never be produced in the Essence. You also are lying about no takers to date as it has been reported all 500 are sold with a waiting list twice as long and I think 4 people here got offer letters.

Then you are hating on an ultra rare V-10, Carbon Fiber, 9000 RPM no BMW rival supercar but are excited about ANOTHER FM based vehicle that may/may not enter production in the M37/56 coupe.

Then you call the LFA too boy racerish but start a thread on a super boy racer M3 GTS R.

You go in other threads saying how Lexus is too obtainable but now its okay for Infiniti to be obtainable.

Which one is it?

Yeah this is lovely..

Old 05-18-10, 07:55 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

This is hilarious. Anyone that says IS-C doesn't sell needs to check the sales numbers when it debuted - it provided a huge boost for the overall IS sales, and its still selling strong.

Lexus is the smartest brand out there. Surely they still lack several much needed models, but they are slowly movinh towards having a complete line up. And they are putting a proper amount of design into their new models, unlike some other brands that spit out half assed products.

This Infiniti coupe just doesn't impress me at all. Their whole lineup is underwhelming, and their image doesn't appeal to the meterosexual badgewoores

They need to try harder... Much harder.
Old 05-18-10, 08:20 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure where you've been driving but I see them all the time on the Belt Parkway, Southern State and the LIE....
Old 05-18-10, 09:32 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Not sure where you've been driving but I see them all the time on the Belt Parkway, Southern State and the LIE....
+1

Especially now that the weather is finally warming up, I see a bunch of them with the top down.
Old 05-18-10, 09:32 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Who cares about sales? In that case the Camry and Accords is probably the best cars in the world. I care about who makes the best cars. Most people are attractive to power, good looks, and image.
Just because a car sells more that doesn't make it the best vehicle. On looks alone the IS-C is ugly compare to the Audi coupe. In DC I see a BMW Coupe every few seconds on the highway. Do Infiniti need an M coupe? No First they need to make something to challenge the ES but better looking. Then maybe design a coupe with the power of Godzilla but has the luxury of the M sedan. Call it a day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Infiniti M Coupe and Convertible NOT Under Consideration (Infiniti says nope!)