Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Invites Consumers to Co-star in New 'Dark Ride' Interactive Film

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-10, 02:55 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Lexus Invites Consumers to Co-star in New 'Dark Ride' Interactive Film

Lexus Invites Consumers to Co-star in New 'Dark Ride' Interactive Film to Launch New CT 200h Hybrid

Torrance, Calif., May 14, 2010 -- “Get in, buckle up and start talking.” Lexus customers will be calling the shots in a high-definition interactive film entitled “Dark Ride.” The film features Lexus’ newest hybrid, the CT 200h premium compact car, piloted by actor Norman Reedus (Boondock Saints franchise). Reedus is behind the wheel in this 12:30 action film, but he is following the directions of the person riding shotgun…the consumer.

“With ‘Dark Ride’ we are creating a unique virtual test drive opportunity so consumers can experience this hybrid, that is like no other, months before it is available at dealerships in early 2011,” said Dave Nordstrom, Lexus vice president of marketing. “In it, consumers play a co-starring role as the fun-to-drive Lexus CT 200h is put through its paces. By guiding the driver and the CT through a series of adventures, customers will be exposed to ‘The Darker Side of Green,’ which is completely different than the way hybrids are usually portrayed.”

The film releases online at www.lexusdarkride.com today along with the trailer for the film, which will appear in select movie theaters across the country. Visitors to the www.lexusdarkride.com site will get to insert themselves into the film, sitting beside “Tony” (Reedus), and navigating while he drives the CT 200h from the Nevada desert to a Los Angeles safehouse and protects it from a variety of enemies who wish to get their hands on the new prototype.

Consumers will use an array of interactive features in the film—allowing them to insert their own likeness (via a Webcam or profile pic), record their own dialogue lines, control the camera movement and POV, and make decisions that alter the path of the film so new situations arise each time.

The “Dark Ride” film is the next step in the launch of the Lexus CT 200h and demonstrates Lexus’ marketing theme, “The Darker Side of Green.” This theme, which shines a different light on this new breed of a fun-to-drive hybrid, debuted at a star-studded event prior to the CT 200h’s North American debut at the New York International Auto Show in April. This initiative will continue through the launch period with in-market custom events and a VIP marketing program that will give tech-savvy influencers access to an edited “Dark Ride” list of restaurants, clubs, bars and lifestyle brands. Brand partners include Duncan Quinn bespoke suits, VeeV Açaí Spirit, The James Hotel and Grand Hospitality for The Soho and Tribeca Grand Hotels.

DIRECT FILM VIEWING LINK: www.lexusdarkride.com
CAMPAIGN LINK: www.darkersideofgreen.com
TRAILER LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0KhesoAZcI

The all-new CT 200h premium compact hybrid will go on sale in the U.S. in early 2011 as the first dedicated hybrid vehicle in the premium compact segment. Expected to lead its class in fuel economy, the stylish, sporty five-door also delivers a dynamic, fun-to-drive experience. The CT is powered by a 1.8L Atkinson cycle four-cylinder gas engine with Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) and Lexus Hybrid Drive technology. The CT will be equipped with four drive-modes: Normal, Eco, Sport and EV.

With its reputation for high-quality products and exemplary customer service from its 228 dealers, Lexus has been the top-selling luxury automaker in the U.S. for ten years in a row. In addition, Lexus is the luxury hybrid leader, now offering four hybrids, with a fifth on the way, that provide the best in innovative technology and first-class luxury. When Lexus was established in 1989, it offered two models of vehicles. Now, more than 20 years later, Lexus offers variations of 11 vehicles, from the entry-level IS 250 to its first V10 supercar, the LFA.

Note: Lexus Dark Ride is viewable with Internet Explorer (Versions 6 and most optimally, 7), Google Chrome, Safari and Mozilla Firefox. Your computer must be equipped with Adobe Flash Player Version 10, found here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Courtesy: Lexus USA

Old 05-14-10, 03:08 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 799 Likes on 558 Posts

I saw the email that was advertising this today. Looks pretty sweet I don't want to do it at work though so I'll check it out later.
Old 05-14-10, 03:32 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

WHOAAAAAAAAA awesomeeeeeee
I want a CT200h now.
I really like the exhaust sound.
I hope it performs good, the experience made it feel like it was a IS350/F
Old 05-14-10, 04:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

saw the email too, will see what it's like
Old 05-14-10, 06:01 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

got the email. My DSL connection is wayyy to slow for what that site has to offer. THe buffering was annoying for me, and I was watching it in low quality too.

But it was really cool how you could do the 180 degree turns.

The CT looks really good btw. Love those LED strips
Old 05-14-10, 06:36 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iKenn
WHOAAAAAAAAA awesomeeeeeee
I want a CT200h now.
I really like the exhaust sound.
I hope it performs good, the experience made it feel like it was a IS350/F
uh don't get too excited. the real actual exhaust sound will probably sound like a... er... um... Prius. meaning lots of chirps quirks claps taps whines etc. Just browse the HS forum to check out the noise complaints over there.

don't expect much better from the CT, oh and did I forget to mention that the thing only has 134hp?!!!!?!!!
Old 05-14-10, 10:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
got the email. My DSL connection is wayyy to slow for what that site has to offer. THe buffering was annoying for me, and I was watching it in low quality too.

But it was really cool how you could do the 180 degree turns.

The CT looks really good btw. Love those LED strips
lol time to get a faster connection. i had no problem watching high quality at home

i have to give them great credits. i think it's job well done. they put up a good show, love the interactions (though not making much difference) and how they smoothly integrated the features of the car into the movie.

of course, the exhaust note is a bit too exaggerated, and i don't expect the sport mode to be very exciting.

but overall i think it captures the attention of a lot of potential buyers in the right age group. that's what lexus wants.

great job