Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Mike is shopping with the wife.....oh dear....
2012, the signs are more evident then ever!
11.43%
They will likely be assimilated and get a Honda, in beige
5.71%
Does Bed Bath and Beyond sell cars or have a partner program?
2.86%
Yall need a Swagger Wagon!
28.57%
Al Bundy had an old Dodge....sounds like a winner
0%
Dude if your wife doesn't get a Lexus we will ban you
51.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Car shopping for/with the new boss lady (Smuglove, decided on RX 400h)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10, 02:19 PM
LexFather

Talking Car shopping for/with the new boss lady (Smuglove, decided on RX 400h)

Well as I've stated in past reviews the lease is up soon on the Altima and we are going though what to get next, if anything. We looking at certified/used/new vehicles. So far here are the major choices with short summaries of our thoughts;

IS 250- looks great, great features, drives fun, lack of rear space, trunk
IS 350 F-sport-the same but drives and looks better, more expensive
RX 400h-looks good still, hybrid for better MPG, older tech, harder to find
RX 350-plenty around so nice selection, still a solid vehicle, very pedestrian,
ES 350-looks great, tons of room, big trunk, drives soft, hard to find NAV
Nissan Murano-great features, new model, ugly as sin, priced like a Lexus
Nissan Maxima-great features, looks great, new model, priced like a Lexus
Nissan 370Z 40th anniversary (okay like a 1% chance of this happening but that car is just sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet if you haven't seen it in person)
Nissan Altima Hybrid-option, better MPG, familar ownership, drab interior, sameness of the old car
Nissan Altima Coupe-swoopy looks, interior room isn't too bad, still small
Infiniti FX-nice tech, nice interior, nice engine, ugly as sin, no room at all
GS 450h-best thing since sliced bread

Now you might be looking at the last choice like . We are also contemplating letting her drive the 450h and I simply drive the 430 around.

As you can see our interests are in Lexus/Nissan. I have a great relationship with Lexus and she has a good relationship with Nissan and they are throwing a lot of deals her way. The only other brand she has mentioned is Audi and yall know I am an Audi fan. That said Audi maybe the future, not right now.

Its been interesting thus far as this is my first car purchase for my wife, which does feel different than helping other family and friends. Safety is on my mind more and so is driver education. I am thinking of the future and lil kiddies too and those future needs (hold your horses, not anytime soon)

I will try to keep things up to date with pics to keep things interesting. Any words of advice for a newbie hubby

Last edited by LexFather; 05-13-10 at 02:25 PM.

Old 05-13-10, 02:32 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

I've been driving a RX400h around for the last few weeks and it's been good and bad. I don't know how the GS450h responds but I do not like the way the 400h accelerates and brakes. Too damn slow in both cases. I understand the regenerative brakes, but I don't think my brother's Prius' brakes were this loosey goosey. Also, on quick acceleration bursts (i.e. freeway merging), the 400h thinks too long before kicking the engine on. In day to day driving though, I love it. It offers a lot of space and isn't completely ugly. Just make sure you get an 08+. I'm in an 07 and there is no Aux jack so I'm forced to use a FM transmitter for my iPod fix.

Good luck with the search!
Old 05-13-10, 02:43 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
Thumbs up

Wife and I just test drove the swagger wagon-SE and we both LOVED it and are thinking about it

With kids (eventually) for the both of you, I highly recommend 100% on the SE. Minivans are perfect for throwing all the crap in there, carrying 50" plasma tvs, plants and small furnitures for the house, in laws in the 3rd row seat.........you name it.

Of course I know you hate throwing in another option that you didn't even list

Out of your list, then it's the RX.
Old 05-13-10, 02:46 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swagger Wagon FTW! I keep hitting my toes for not waiting for this car (minivan).
Old 05-13-10, 02:50 PM
Rob Daddy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advice from past experiences & marriages is let the choice be hers. If its her car let it be hers from the start. Definitely don't give her your car unless she comes up & says she wants your car.

good luck
Old 05-13-10, 02:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by memasterac
Swagger Wagon FTW! I keep hitting my toes for not waiting for this car (minivan).
lol

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Wife and I just test drove the swagger wagon-SE and we both LOVED it and are thinking about it

With kids (eventually) for the both of you, I highly recommend 100% on the SE. Minivans are perfect for throwing all the crap in there, carrying 50" plasma tvs, plants and small furnitures for the house, in laws in the 3rd row seat.........you name it.

Its a longshot to be honest

Originally Posted by Allen K
I've been driving a RX400h around for the last few weeks and it's been good and bad. I don't know how the GS450h responds but I do not like the way the 400h accelerates and brakes. Too damn slow in both cases. I understand the regenerative brakes, but I don't think my brother's Prius' brakes were this loosey goosey. Also, on quick acceleration bursts (i.e. freeway merging), the 400h thinks too long before kicking the engine on. In day to day driving though, I love it. It offers a lot of space and isn't completely ugly. Just make sure you get an 08+. I'm in an 07 and there is no Aux jack so I'm forced to use a FM transmitter for my iPod fix.

Good luck with the search!
Uhhhh, thanks for the info on the Aux jack I did think of that recently I've reviewed the 400h twice and it was my first hybrid to drive and it REALLY took sometime for me to understand it. It was very different to anything I had previously driven.

Owning a hybrid now I think I will be more apt to how it drives. She drives my car fine as her Altima has a CVT as well.

Old 05-13-10, 03:05 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS3Tek

+1 on the Swagger Wagon... we LOVE our Sienna, will remain in the stable

Do NOT get the Z... she will HATE the ride long-term... please, I know it's sweet... but you will grow to hate it... you will... she will.. your friends will... your maid will... your mother-in-law will... everyone on the planet will...
Old 05-13-10, 04:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
IS 250- looks great, great features, drives fun, lack of rear space, trunk
IS 350 F-sport-the same but drives and looks better, more expensive
RX 400h-looks good still, hybrid for better MPG, older tech, harder to find
RX 350-plenty around so nice selection, still a solid vehicle, very pedestrian,
ES 350-looks great, tons of room, big trunk, drives soft, hard to find NAV
Nissan Murano-great features, new model, ugly as sin, priced like a Lexus
Nissan Maxima-great features, looks great, new model, priced like a Lexus
Nissan 370Z 40th anniversary (okay like a 1% chance of this happening but that car is just sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet if you haven't seen it in person)
Nissan Altima Hybrid-option, better MPG, familar ownership, drab interior, sameness of the old car
Nissan Altima Coupe-swoopy looks, interior room isn't too bad, still small
Infiniti FX-nice tech, nice interior, nice engine, ugly as sin, no room at all
GS 450h-best thing since sliced bread

My advice is, of the vehicles on this list, get the RX350, hands-down. First, you already got a hybrid.....you don't need another one, IMO. Second, of all the criteria you list, the RX is, IMO, the best overall blend of quality, luxury, refinement, smoothness/quietness, road manners (though it's not sporty by any means), dealer service, AWD all-weather capability, and interior space for car seats when Junior comes. Another good possibility would be the non-Hybrid Toyota Highlander Limited (see my comments in the thread you opened about your cousin's RX400H sale).

I would also (ordinarily) recommend a Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R as perhaps the best compromise of all, but (sadly) I can't do that this year because of the issues with the 2010 (and possibly the 2011) model.....I'm sure you've followed that with my posts.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-13-10 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-13-10, 04:17 PM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

I agree that it should be her choice, but my vote would be for the RX350. That's what my wife drives so I'm probably a little biased.
Old 05-13-10, 05:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short answer (and based on the list) any one of the Lexus vehicles listed will provide a positive ownership experience.
Old 05-13-10, 05:40 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

You guys can get a NEW base FWD A4 for like $31K, I think. That wouldn't be a bad choice .

Other than that I think ES350 and RX350 are great options as well. As for Nissans they're all pretty pricey nowadays, but the Altima and the Maxima are nice. But since she already had an Altima I don't know if she'll want to get another one. She might get bored with it lol.
Old 05-13-10, 06:37 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i think the swagger wagon would be great. if there are kids, more room for their crap, great trunk space, and not to mention the great toyota deals at the dealership. best of luck to you and your wife! do what makes her happy! lol
Old 05-13-10, 07:48 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i choose a swagger wagon... heres something to think about, vipstyle a Venza
Old 05-13-10, 08:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm with Marshall. RX350 is a solid bet
Old 05-13-10, 10:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

How important are loaner cars to you??? How easy is it to get loaners at a Nissan or Toyota dealer in your area. I have been considering the Highlander Hybrid more than the MDX because the dealership in my area says they have available loaners no problem.

I would say the RX350 or Highlander Hybrid. If kids are in the near future then you might want to consider the swagger wagon. Do you like the Venza. Seems like a stylish blend of SUV, car , and Station wagon (estate car)
Attached Thumbnails Car shopping for/with the new boss lady (Smuglove, decided on RX 400h)-toyota-venza-sportlu-1_800x0w.jpg  

Quick Reply: Car shopping for/with the new boss lady (Smuglove, decided on RX 400h)