Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NHTSA Investigates Dodge Calibers for Unintended Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-10, 08:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NHTSA Investigates Dodge Calibers for Unintended Acceleration

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating sticking gas pedals on about 10,000 Dodge Caliber compact cars.

In a small number of cases, parts of the gas pedal assembly have apparently fallen off, causing the pedals to come out of alignment and become stuck. The pedals involved in the cases are made by CTS Corp. the same supplier that made gas pedals involved in a massive Toyota recall for sticking gas pedals.

However, the actual cause of sticking in the Toyota and Dodge cases appear to be unrelated.

The investigation has narrowed the problem down to 2007 model year cars manufactured during a five week period in March and April of 2006, according to a statement Monday by Chrysler Group, which manufactures the Dodge Caliber.

No accidents or injuries have been reported in connection with the problem, Chrysler said.

The Dodge Caliber, like all Chrysler Group vehicles, has a system called "brake override" in which pressing the brake pedal automatically cuts engine power, making the vehicle easier to control even if the gas pedal becomes stuck.

The investigation is based on five complaints to NHTSA. In four of the cases, a mechanical part of the gas pedal was found on the floor of the vehicle.

Chrysler Group is offering free pedal inspections to owners of 2007 Dodge Calibers whose vehicles were manufactured during the period in question.

Other cars that share engineering and assembly lines with the Caliber - the Jeep Compass and Jeep Patriot - are not involved in the investigation because they did not share the same gas pedal design during the 2007 model year, a Chrysler spokesman said.

A spokesman for CTS did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the matter.
Not a good year to be CTS...
Old 05-03-10, 08:42 AM
LexFather

Well I don't think anyone is going to raise an evebrow when a "Chrysler" has a quality/reliability issue. Comes standard!!

Old 05-03-10, 08:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I don't think anyone is going to raise an evebrow when a "Chrysler" has a quality/reliability issue. Comes standard!!
According to Consumer Reports, the Caliber has actually been one of the more reliable Chrysler products. The Caliber's main problem (like with its sister Jeep Compass) is the insultingly cheap materials and interior design....even the recent interior upgrade, while a slight improvement, is still not impressive. Even some of the Dodge people I've talked to at the auto shows (one was a Chrysler engineer) have been embarassed with this vehicle.

Some people have opined/suggested that getting rid of automotive Drive-By-Wire throttle systems and going back to the traditional mechanical linkage would help solve these unintended-acceleration problems. I'm not sure I agree....several of these cases have involved mechanical parts or design. The metal plate-addition for the Camry pedals is one good example....that apparantly helps to keep moisture out and shorting the electronics.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-03-10 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-03-10, 05:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I rented one for a week a couple of years ago, it suffered from inadequate acceleration and marginal NVH, but at least gas mileage was good and no mechanical problems.
Old 05-04-10, 07:13 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I rented one for a week a couple of years ago, it suffered from inadequate acceleration and marginal NVH, but at least gas mileage was good and no mechanical problems.
So Calibers suffer from no UA but , IA, inadequate acceleration

Old 05-04-10, 07:56 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So Calibers suffer from no UA but , IA, inadequate acceleration
Because of the IA, I was forced to jam gas pedal so hard my foot started to cramp.
Old 05-05-10, 08:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Because of the IA, I was forced to jam gas pedal so hard my foot started to cramp.

Once you have the gas pedal floored, additional pressure accomplishes nothing for acceleration......the Drive-By-Wire and TPI sensors can only react so much. It just puts needless pressure and wear on the hinges and the pedal itself.
Old 05-05-10, 08:46 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

He was joking around, Mike.
Old 05-05-10, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
He was joking around, Mike.
While it is not a completely worthless car (hey, it beats walking), most of the Dodge Caliber itself is a joke.
Old 05-05-10, 09:15 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Once you have the gas pedal floored, additional pressure accomplishes nothing for acceleration......the Drive-By-Wire and TPI sensors can only react so much. It just puts needless pressure and wear on the hinges and the pedal itself.
No kidding, glad you could figure that out.
Old 05-05-10, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No kidding, glad you could figure that out.
If a lot of Toyota drivers had figured that out, maybe (?) the gas pedal parts would not have worn so quickly. Of course, that is no excuse for poor design.
Old 05-05-10, 09:19 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

If a lot of Toyota drivers had figured that out, maybe (?) the gas pedal parts would not have worn so quickly. Of course, that is no excuse for poor design.
It was not a wear issue, it was flawed design and another topic.
Old 05-05-10, 09:22 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

It was not a wear issue, it was flawed design.

But I'm glad you could figure it out without getting sidetracked by plastic bodied Saturns, geezer-pleaser Buicks of the past, telepathic steering for the blind of BMW's and your love of the past Amanti and RL.

Back on topic, same supplier of gas pedal mechanism for the Caliber and Toyota, so maybe it's both flawed design and manufacturing.
Old 05-05-10, 09:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

But I'm glad you could figure it out without getting sidetracked by plastic bodied Saturns, geezer-pleaser Buicks of the past, telepathic steering for the blind of BMW's and your love of the past Amanti and RL.
...........or renting automotive jokes like the Caliber. :
Old 05-05-10, 09:36 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, great comeback mmarshall!!!

Quick Reply: NHTSA Investigates Dodge Calibers for Unintended Acceleration