Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai loses $1.8M lawsuit because of seats that recline too far

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-10, 04:46 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Though, I am fairly certain that the majority of people do not consider flying out of your seat a possibility, when your seatbelt is on. Despite what you guys are saying in hindsight.
You're 100% correct, many people don't consider their safety at all when driving, and we see the results of that in cases like these, or other examples, on a regular basis.

However, some of us have experienced less fatal (or even fatal) events in our lifetime, whether it be personal or someone we knew, that taught us the importance of proper seating position and restraint. I don't need to go into detail, but I've learned that lesson as well, and each time I watch someone drive down the road with their foot out the drivers window, I'm reminded that at any time, I could be on the receiving end of someone else's carelessness and need to best protect myself. Whether or not you want to believe this observation was made in hindsight, I'm glad the misfortune of this story opened your eyes.
Old 05-01-10, 04:57 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Now cars will have disclaimers that if you recline and sit back the seatbelt won't help.
Or worse, they'll start building cars with seats that won't recline further than 45 degrees.
"Mama always told me, stupid is, as stupid does"
Old 05-01-10, 09:47 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
The judge didn't award anything, the jury did. You're right, though, it's the judge that should have never let this case go to trial.
Errr correction, yeah sorry, what you said.
Old 05-01-10, 04:54 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It's great to feel confident. It won't save you when you slide out from under the belts.

There are no street legal seatbelts capable of holding you in place in an accident when you are reclined. NONE.
1) Is there a study that I dont know about?
2) In my 3000GT, The seatbelt goes over my hip, not my thigh.
3) The shoulder restraint goes through a loop, which remains over my shoulder regardless of what position I am in. I dont see how I could slide out to the point where I could fly out of the back of my vehicle.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 05-01-10 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-01-10, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
1) Is there a study that I dont know about?
2) In my 3000GT, The seatbelt goes over my hip, not my thigh.
3) The shoulder restraint goes through a loop, which remains over my shoulder regardless of what position I am in. I dont see how I could slide out to the point where I could fly out of the back of my vehicle.
When you are leaning back at a steeply raked angle, the shoulder belt can still ride across your shoulder, but it will have little, if any restraining effect. That's because, depending on the direction of impact (front or back), you will either be sliding forward or backward, under the belt, not upwards into it.

That's why state-of-the-art fighter planes and some racing cars, which have high-rake seats designed for the driver or pilot to better-withstand high G forces, have totally different belt systems than those found in regular street cars.