Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai loses $1.8M lawsuit because of seats that recline too far

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-10, 03:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
That is not an answer to my question. DID you consider that you would fly out of the back of your car, if you leaned back to far?

I considered lurching forward and chocking myself on the seatbelt a danger, but I always expected that the seatbelt would keep me from flying out of my seat.
Yes, I did consider it because there's absolutely nothing holding me in the seat if it's fully reclined. I can EASILY slide out from under the belt with the seat fully reclined and I've known this for many years.
Old 04-30-10, 04:18 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I read other articles. So she was asleep in the passenger seat, fully reclined.

The listed article makes it sound like she was the driver, since it only states that she owned the car.

Personally, I think a seat/seatbelt should be designed to keep you in your seat no matter what position you are in. If that means, you cant lean back that far.... so be it.
Thanks for clarifying the story. This whole discussion has been based on her being the driver.

Still, there is no grounds for a lawsuit. Any idiot should know that laying down in a moving car greatly compromises safety. They'll be at risk in ANY car. NO seat belt design would work to keep you safe. Think about the physics for a moment. Any straps going over a horizontally positioned body are noneffective because you just slide under them (in a forward/backward thrust).

It's like those moron passengers that put their feet on the dash or even out the window in a moving car. Are they hoping to be split in half??? I always cringe when I see that.

Hyundai's design is basically the same as every other car. It has to be to past safety regulations. And yet they lose this ridiculous case? How is this even possible? Did they manage to collect the 12 stupidest people in the world to be the jury?
Old 04-30-10, 04:46 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I think a seat/seatbelt should be designed to keep you in your seat no matter what position you are in. If that means, you cant lean back that far.... so be it.
Might as well put a crap load of warning labels on every consumer product, heck each piece too. Car manufacturers could use fixed seats with racing belts, but I bet most people would prefer the status quo. People need to use common sense and logic, something most people lack.
Old 04-30-10, 04:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Come on, Och.......let's get serious. Yes, I agree that it was a questionable (perhaps even wrong) verdict, and Hyundai probably has grounds for an appeal. But you can't go off the deep end and say something like that.
Well Mike, as usual you are a lot more reasonable and rational than I am.

I didn't necessarily mean what I said literally, but I still find the verdict ridiculous, and I think the Judge and the Jury should be accountable for such frivolous nonsense.
Old 04-30-10, 05:26 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before this thread. Did you think that "Gee if I lean back too far, I could fly out of the back of my my car?"

Before this thread, I want to know how many people here thought that was a possibility.

The other point of contention, was she the driver or passenger? If she was the driver, how far back is too far back? If she is in a position to drive comfortably, then she should have the expectation that the seatbelt will keep her from being ejected from the vehicle.
Thank you, finally another 'fool' like me who is using the story as a reminder of what could happen. We have all put the seat back and took a nap on a long road trip without giving it a second thought.

Like I said earlier, they shouldn't have awarded any money at all.
Old 04-30-10, 05:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I try to never nap in a car, even when I'm a passenger.

First of all, when someone is sleeping in the car, the driver can get sleepy as well, but most of all, I like to be aware of the situation. If, God forbid, there's an unavoidable accident, I'd rather be awake and prepared than get caught sleeping.
Old 04-30-10, 05:52 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

this lawsuit is as ridiculous as that mcdonalds case with the hot coffee. Reading about cases like these makes me wish i were a judge so i can throw out these cases and fine the plaintiff for wasting time and money.
Old 04-30-10, 05:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Thanks for clarifying the story. This whole discussion has been based on her being the driver.

Still, there is no grounds for a lawsuit. Any idiot should know that laying down in a moving car greatly compromises safety. They'll be at risk in ANY car. NO seat belt design would work to keep you safe. Think about the physics for a moment. Any straps going over a horizontally positioned body are noneffective because you just slide under them (in a forward/backward thrust).

It's like those moron passengers that put their feet on the dash or even out the window in a moving car. Are they hoping to be split in half??? I always cringe when I see that.

Hyundai's design is basically the same as every other car. It has to be to past safety regulations. And yet they lose this ridiculous case? How is this even possible? Did they manage to collect the 12 stupidest people in the world to be the jury?
Its quite possible Hyundai's lawyers didn't do a good enough job to win this case. You see as of late with the big Toyota recall and others doing recalls it doesn't do an automobile company any favors when they go to court. To the jury, they are already guilty based on "recalls" that have nothing to do with the case (and should not have any weight with the jurors).

The bottom line is people want to sue for everything. Now cars will have disclaimers that if you recline and sit back the seatbelt won't help.

Sad we need common sense disclaimers.

Old 04-30-10, 06:23 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The bottom line is people want to sue for everything. Now cars will have disclaimers that if you recline and sit back the seatbelt won't help.

Sad we need common sense disclaimers.
Yeah, another big ugly bright yellow sign slapped on our interiors. I can't wait.

How about these people just lock themselves in a padded room instead of messing up everything for the rest of us.
Old 04-30-10, 07:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Yeah, another big ugly bright yellow sign slapped on our interiors. I can't wait.

How about these people just lock themselves in a padded room instead of messing up everything for the rest of us.
What you suggest is a more humane method than Och.

Old 04-30-10, 08:06 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Thank God this didn't happen to Toyota because CNN would've had 24 hour marathon of Toyota vs. poor girl who died in a car debate.
Old 04-30-10, 08:18 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'm waiting for one of the idiots I see frequently with feet on the dash to lose his/her feet when the passenger's front airbag deploys and smashes their feet against the windshield. I really marvel at how people completely fail to comprehend the dangers of airbags and out of position passengers.

I'm certain it will be a big lawsuit.
i was thinking the same thing, man! its just bad manners to begin with, but in actuality, some people never really thing about what could occur. those airbags would crush a person's feet into the windshield. not only that, ive seen crusty *** feet, people's heads, and their pets' heads out of windows. i dont think for a second the car should be held liable for those who want to be dumb.

the mcdonalds lady won...for being dumb. coffee without a lid and it spills while driving = disaster. it did set a precedent that coffee should have lids with the warning label on them. this thing with the seats being reclined too far back- it was the lady's choice to recline as far back as she did, yet hyundai has to fork over the dough?! it is unfortunate what happened to the lady, but i dont see how hyundai should be held responsible for a choice she made.
Old 04-30-10, 08:27 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knowing that she was asleep as the passenger, I agree that they shouldnt have been awarded money. Though, I am fairly certain that the majority of people do not consider flying out of your seat a possibility, when your seatbelt is on. Despite what you guys are saying in hindsight.

Seatbelts should be designed to keep you restrained in any locked position on your seat. If that means you cant lean back... so be it. Seriously, why would someone need to lean back so far in a car, other than to sleep.

Also, sitting in my 3000GT, I feel confident that even fully reclined, the seatbelt will hold me. Perhaps more cars should have their restraint systems designed like my 17 year olf vehicle.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 04-30-10 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-30-10, 09:48 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

"Common sense" is a disappearing trait these days and people need warning labels on everything. Stateside many drivers don't take the task of driving seriously. This is noted by the gaggle of laws enacted each year to protect people from their own stoopidity. More to come no doubt.

Hyundai got screwed here..well, welcome to doing business in the states. Land of some of the lamest lawsuits that actually make it into courtrooms for hearings. Way back, people took responsibility fortheir own actions, now it seems hand holding is necessary for many aspects of life otherwise, sue somebody.

Like the sidewalk that has risen due to the tree roots. If the city doesn't grade it level, some dumb azz will trip, break a hip, arm and who's at fault...the city. Not withstanding the person was probably staggering home with a BAC around 1.2, wearing flip flops while texting.

The land of we can blame it on somebody else and get $$.
Old 04-30-10, 10:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Knowing that she was asleep as the passenger, I agree that they shouldnt have been awarded money. Though, I am fairly certain that the majority of people do not consider flying out of your seat a possibility, when your seatbelt is on. Despite what you guys are saying in hindsight.

Seatbelts should be designed to keep you restrained in any locked position on your seat. If that means you cant lean back... so be it. Seriously, why would someone need to lean back so far in a car, other than to sleep.

Also, sitting in my 3000GT, I feel confident that even fully reclined, the seatbelt will hold me. Perhaps more cars should have their restraint systems designed like my 17 year olf vehicle.
It's great to feel confident. It won't save you when you slide out from under the belts.

There are no street legal seatbelts capable of holding you in place in an accident when you are reclined. NONE.

5 or 6 point racing belts are the only belts capable of holding a body in the seat under all crash conditions, but they require at least a roll bar to prevent the roof from crushing you because those wonderful belts won't let you slide down if the roof caves in, AND they require a fixed seat which will not allow any reclining of any kind. No car so equipped would be well received by the public because people want seats they can adjust and reclining seats. Comfort trumps safety.

And please don't try to tell me I haven't considered this - I was in a car accident when I was 13. The car was a '63 Ford Falcon. It did not have seat belts from the factory. I put my elbow through the windshield because I was unrestrained. I've thought about what seat belts do and how they work ever since then, and this happened in 1973. I've known for a very long time, if I choose to recline fully, I'm putting myself at a MUCH greater risk of injury or death than if I sit upright.

Quick Reply: Hyundai loses $1.8M lawsuit because of seats that recline too far