Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Engine defects investigated !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 03:04 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Are you swapping the Boxster engine for the 911 one?
No, I have removed the original engine from my daily driver with 88,500 miles & zero problems in order to replace some weak links including somewhat undersized pistons.
Old 04-29-10, 03:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
No, I have removed the original engine from my daily driver with 88,500 miles & zero problems in order to replace some weak links including somewhat undersized pistons.
GOtcha, please share more pics! the Boxster is seemingly in a class by itself with everyone else fighting for 2nd place. Lovely vehicle!

Old 04-29-10, 03:25 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
GOtcha, please share more pics! the Boxster is seemingly in a class by itself with everyone else fighting for 2nd place. Lovely vehicle!
Thanks, Boxster is such a over-used name, for simplicity sake I just refer to it as the funnest device ever invented by man. I hear they make great wedding gifts also.
Old 04-29-10, 03:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds like good news, with a horsepower bump on the way.

(My last Boxster was an S, plenty of smooth power, superb steering and handling and braking like no other car.)
Old 04-29-10, 06:41 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Fortunately it seems the last of these failures was prior to model year 2010, if that's any reassurance.
Er no. The 09 is identical to the 10.
Old 04-29-10, 06:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by madoka
Er no. The 09 is identical to the 10.
Thanks for the clarification, therefore 09/10 has DI and no intermediate shaft.

Although that doesn't really change the statement, "Fortunately it seems the last of these failures was prior to model year 2010, if that's any reassurance."

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-29-10 at 06:48 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-29-10, 08:45 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that the early-build '06s were the last to have the weak intermediate shaft. A beefier IMS design was introduced and failures still occurred after, but much less frequently.

I believe even at '09 and newer, only the S models have DI and therefore here in 2010 the base Boxster and Cayman engines still have an intermediate shaft.

And guess why I've been looking into this problem...
Old 04-29-10, 09:06 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

That sounds like good news, with a horsepower bump on the way.

(My last Boxster was an S, plenty of smooth power, superb steering and handling and braking like no other car.)
Mine has always been the same way, I want more torque.

As alot of people know Boxster was created to increase Porsche sales volume using interchangable parts with that other car they make. Heads, camshafts, rods & crankshaft of the 3.2 are identical to 911's 3.4 of the same year, so basically if you install bigger pistons you equal 911 power curve.
Old 04-29-10, 09:17 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Prior to the crash of the U.S. economy Boxster resale values were as good as any made in the 21st century.
I guess thats good news for me. I've been looking at getting a 2003-2004 Boxster S for a few years now. Actually started looking prior to the crash around 2006. And on average the prices tend to be in the mid-low 20's. However, I've seen some earlier model years as low as 8-9 thousand, of course they had very high mileage.

My trouble is that the 2005 normal Boxsters are now entering my price range these days, and as far as I could tell, they made numerous improvements on that generation verses the original, including a more modern interior. Whether or not that makes it worth extra couple of thousand is still up in the air.
Old 04-30-10, 08:15 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by superchan7
I read that the early-build '06s were the last to have the weak intermediate shaft. A beefier IMS design was introduced and failures still occurred after, but much less frequently.

I believe even at '09 and newer, only the S models have DI and therefore here in 2010 the base Boxster and Cayman engines still have an intermediate shaft.

And guess why I've been looking into this problem...
You're close. The 996's are the cars that the IMS bearing failure was a possibility. Like all internet stuff, the hype is blown out of proportion, except for the guy that actually experiences it....
To avoid the possibility entirely, you're safe buying a 997.1 with 3.8L engine, which is 2006 and newer. 2009 and newer are 997.2's, and are DI engines. Check out rennlist if you want the poop on Porsche's. And if you're thinking about buying a Porsche, all i can say is do it. Awesome cars.
Old 05-03-10, 09:51 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Flywheel removed to check IMS bearing. Bearing has a shaft that bolts to the exterior support flange. Removed the flange to inspect bearing. IMS bearing shaft has about 1/8" freeplay wobble, not good!

Pictures to follow as I big deeper.
Old 05-03-10, 10:09 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Flywheel removed to check IMS bearing. Bearing has a shaft that bolts to the exterior support flange. Removed the flange to inspect bearing. IMS bearing shaft has about 1/8" freeplay wobble, not good!

Pictures to follow as I big deeper.
Ready to blow possibly, good early catch!
Old 05-06-10, 12:46 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Default IMS bearing disassembled

I tried to remove the grease seal from the IMS bearing with this small pick & unknowingly caught the bearing race also. The race was loose enough to come apart very easily & the BB sized ball bearings were now loose inside the IMS shaft which is a hollow tube. Conclusion: This bearing had excessive freeplay & I guess it would have come apart within 5,000 miles. This engine has 88,500 miles & has had Mobil 1 0-40 oil & filter changes every 7,000-8000 miles twice as often as Porsche recommends & with the approved Oil.
Attached Thumbnails Porsche Engine defects investigated !!-pictures-1007_0013.jpg  
Old 05-06-10, 01:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^^ bad design, good oil, nice catch.
Old 05-06-10, 01:17 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

^^ bad design, good oil, nice catch.
yeah I was shocked at how small the ball bearings are in this first of 3 designs. I'm not sure about the oil though, several professionals have said that when BP bought Mobil they reformulated Mobil 1 (watered down). Most of these people recommend Castrol which is approved by Porsche also. I changed to Castrol Extra synthetic for all my cars. So glad I pulled the engine when I did.

Quick Reply: Porsche Engine defects investigated !!