Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Toyota Highlander

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-10, 09:15 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This website addresses some of that, Phil.

http://iguida.com/2011-toyota-highlander
Cool.

Redesigns can be interesting. But the powertrains won't change (the I4 is brand new) with the possible exception of the hybrid (from 3.3L to 3.5L). I would like some of the better amenities to trickle down to base models, such as bluetooth and some leather bits.
Old 04-23-10, 09:59 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have 5,000 miles on our Japan built 2010 Highlander Limited. NAV and RES too. Not one defect, my wife (its her's) loves the truck.

We drove it from Maryland to Florida last month. It was a joy to drive on the long haul, and we were comfortable. But, yes, the handling is not sporty at all. Loaded down, I would not push this truck past 90 M.P.H. without feeling like you have total control of the vehicle.

This truck replaces our 2007 Honda Pilot, which had a noiser and more truck-like ride.

The only thing I wish the truck had was more cargo room.

Also, skip the OEM RES system and get a better one aftermarket. The OEM unit is below par in features.

Thanks for the write up! You are on point.

Last edited by MD350; 04-23-10 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-23-10, 02:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
We drove it from Maryland to Florida last month. It was a joy to drive on the long haul, and we were comfortable. But, yes, the handling is not sporty at all. Loaded down, I would not push this truck past 90 M.P.H. without feeling like you have total control of the vehicle.
It could probably handle 90 MPH (if and where legal), and stay reasonbly stable, as long as the road was straight. This is definitely not a sport-oriented vehicle in any way, though. You simply slow down for curves...and way down for sharp ones.

This truck replaces our 2007 Honda Pilot, which had a noiser and more truck-like ride.
SUV's, in general, don't equal the average sedan in smooth ride manners. The truck-based ones are usually stiffer than car-based ones, though other factors like weight and wheelbase come in.

The only thing I wish the truck had was more cargo room.
Then I'd suggest moving outside of the Toyota line..or to the Sienna Minivan. Moving up to the big Toyota Sequoia SUV to get more interior space gives you, IMO, a vehicle with poorer build quality and some flimsier parts than the Highlander. But we'll see what the next Sequoia looks like.

Thanks for the write up! You are on point.
Thanks....Anytime. I put a lot of time and effort into them.
Old 04-23-10, 02:21 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review as usual, Mike. always appreciated.

I have been looking for a highlander/pilot that will replace my camry because i will need a SUV with seven seats. I'm mainly focusing on the highlander, but with such prices for a limited, ill probably buy used. the interior in the highlander, does feel very plasticky, and you can see the the wood trim in the limited isnt that nice. but with the 2003-2008 pilots (i dont like the new 2009+ ones) there really isnt any wood trim or anything to really make it feel more luxurious. 4runner does come with an optional third row which will be something i will look into.
Old 04-23-10, 02:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
Great review as usual, Mike. always appreciated.
Sure. Anytime.

I have been looking for a highlander/pilot that will replace my camry because i will need a SUV with seven seats. I'm mainly focusing on the highlander, but with such prices for a limited, ill probably buy used. the interior in the highlander, does feel very plasticky, and you can see the the wood trim in the limited isnt that nice. but with the 2003-2008 pilots (i dont like the new 2009+ ones) there really isnt any wood trim or anything to really make it feel more luxurious. 4runner does come with an optional third row which will be something i will look into.
If you want a new Highlander, you can, in some cases, get the third-row seat in without defecting to the 4Runner or going all the way up to the Limited. It is offered in the base model and the Sport......but the availability is rather complex, See the brochure and web site for details.

I'd think twice, though, about loading up three rows of people in a base 4-cylinder model, especially on hills. It will (likely) be underpowered. Under those conditions (especially with AWD) the V6 itself will work hard enough.

Buying used, of course, you pretty much have to look for what is available.

As far as the interior feeling "plasticky", you are pretty much going to have to put up with that, at least to an extent, in almost any new (or very recent) vehicle today short of the ultra-luxury range. That is just the name of the game with cost-cutting. Plastic forms the base for almost everything...door trim, chrome, metallic-trim, wood-tone, imitation carbon-fiber, dash-tops, *****, buttons, switches, etc.....
Old 04-23-10, 02:42 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sure. Anytime.

If you want a new Highlander, you can, in some cases, get the third-row seat in without defecting to the 4Runner or going all the way up to the Limited. It is offered in the base model and the Sport......but the availability is rather complex, See the brochure and web site for details.

I'd think twice, though, about loading up three rows of people in a base 4-cylinder model, especially on hills. It will (likely) be underpowered. Under those conditions (especially with AWD) the V6 itself will work hard enough.

Buying used, of course, you pretty much have to look for what is available.

As far as the interior feeling "plasticky", you are pretty much going to have to put up with that, at least to an extent, in almost any new (or very recent) vehicle today short of the ultra-luxury range. That is just the name of the game with cost-cutting. Plastic forms the base for almost everything...door trim, chrome, wood-tone, imitation carbon-fiber, dash-tops, *****, buttons, switches, etc.....
I'm not exactly looking for a base used model. im looking for a sport model or maybe a decent limited. the 4 cylinder probably does make more sense, economy wise, because this will be my daily driver if i sell my camry. but the V6 probably will be necessary. we'll see, just have to test drive them both soon and see what is better for me.
Old 04-26-10, 09:48 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your reviews are very much appreciated by the CL community/family, thanks again for all that you contribute on this forum mmarshall!
Old 04-26-10, 10:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

once again, very very very well done review. We are lucky to have you as a member. Great job and keep them coming
Old 04-27-10, 11:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
Your reviews are very much appreciated by the CL community/family, thanks again for all that you contribute on this forum mmarshall!
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
once again, very very very well done review. We are lucky to have you as a member. Great job and keep them coming
Thanks, guys. Glad you find them helpful....that's why I do them. I put a lot of time and effort into them.

The next planned reviews, BTW, are the Ford Fiesta and Hyundai Equus. But neither of them have yet been released in America. The Fiesta could arrive anytime within the next 3 months or so.