Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Maserati confirms entry-level model, will "exploit Maserati DNA"

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-10, 01:16 PM
LexFather

Default Maserati confirms entry-level model, will "exploit Maserati DNA"

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/249034/

Maserati has confirmed it is working on a new entry-level model that will be priced from around £50,000.

The car, revealed as part of Fiat's restructuring plans today, will "offer a new product package with specific contents in order to exploit Maserati DNA". The only other detail confirmed was that it would be priced at less than 55,000 euros (£47,815). No official details have been confirmed.

Maserati wants the car to give it a 10 per cent share in what it calls Europe's 'high-end E-segment'.

Also confirmed at the Maserati presentation was an all-new Quattroporte. The firm wants the car to give it a larger share in the luxury sports saloon market and it is described as having a "completely new style, offering outstanding driving emotions and high-level quality".

The firm revealed no long-term plans to replace either the Granturismo or the Grancabrio
because both are still relatively new models.

Old 04-21-10, 02:53 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crap you beat me to it.

Thats pretty cool. Its a good idea.

Bentley sort of did it, with their Continental GT. Its sort of an "entry-level" price point if you compare it to the other models from Bentley.

Plus I read somewhere that this model might be an M5 competitor, so thats pretty awesome. Thing is would it still be considered an exotic of some sort?
Old 04-21-10, 02:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Maserati reportedly to build sub-Quattroporte M5 rival

Makes me wonder if this entry level Maserati, would be the underpinnings for a high performance version:

If you've had trouble figuring out if the Maserati Quattroporte was a closer rival to the BMW M5 or the 7 Series, the latest news from Modena ought to help. As part of the Fiat Group's comprehensive five-year plan – which already includes several new Alfa Romeos and no fewer than six new Ferraris – Maserati has revealed plans to build a new sub-Quattroporte sedan.

Targeting the likes of the M5, the Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG and the Audi RS6, a new sedan is set to slot in below the existing Quattrporte in both size and price. Reports place the entry price for the new four-door at at less than €55,000 ($74k), significantly less than the $120k starting price for the current Quattroporte.

In addition, plans are also underway for a new full-size Quattroporte, giving buyers in the market for an exotic Italian super-saloon twice the variety to choose from. Expect the next-generation QP, then, to go slightly farther up-market to make way for its upcoming kid brother.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/21/m...orte-m5-rival/
Old 04-21-10, 02:57 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I understand selling a cheaper model to increase business but I already considered Maserati to be entry level exotic. A 50K car doesn't feel right to me.
The Quattroporte, I think it's one of the best looking sport sedans on the planet. I don't know what the new one will look like but it can't be as sweet. The current car is sporty,classy, different and sleek. Also has ample room and it's fast. Don't know how much they can improve.

Last edited by Ice350; 04-21-10 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-21-10, 03:00 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this will be like the Jag XF (the so-called entry level Jag)?
Old 04-21-10, 03:12 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

New entry level? don't care

New Quattroporte? I LOVE!
Old 04-21-10, 03:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

bmw and lexus are building cars below their current "entry level", and now these upper companies start building more entry level cars too. interesting, economy must be hurting bad
Old 04-21-10, 03:53 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
bmw and lexus are building cars below their current "entry level", and now these upper companies start building more entry level cars too. interesting, economy must be hurting bad
Lexus and BMW I can understand but Maserati is already a lower end exotic and shouldn't lower itself further with a cheaper model.
Old 04-21-10, 03:59 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Maserati has the potential to be like Jaguar -- not really an exotic, but provides something handmade, luxurious, relatively sporty, different, and somewhat rare.

Maserati and Jaguar have similar genetics. And reliability. But if they play their cards right, they can be less boutique and more commercial (and probably more profitable).

In related news, I want Alfa Romeo to come back to the U.S.