Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz Shooting Break Concept (will be produced)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 04:14 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes-Benz Shooting Break Concept (will be produced)

Absolutely stunning. If this is any indication of how the next CLS will look like, I think it may even look better than the original. This new organic design language at Mercedes looks very promising.

By most accounts the next generation C class could look similar (or at least borrow styling cues) from that recent F-800 concept.

Mercedes-Benz Shooting Break Concept — 2010 Beijing Auto Show

What is it?
Mercedes-Benz Shooting Break Concept

What's special about it?
The Mercedes-Benz Shooting Break Concept will be revealed at the 2010 Beijing Auto Show on Thursday. It points the way to the new look of the second-generation Mercedes-Benz CLS that will appear in September at the Paris auto show. It also indicates that a wagon model will join the CLS lineup.

The Mercedes-Benz CLS Shooting Break Concept charts a new direction for the CLS model line by reviving the shooting brake, the traditional English utility vehicle created from a luxury car, although this concept has a four-door body instead of the two-door layout of traditional shooting brakes. The German automaker explained why it's called "Shooting Break" and not "Shooting Brake," obviously anticipating questions. "Break, or the homonym Brake, was the name once given to carriages used to 'break' wild horses, so any vehicle that was used when going out shooting was called a Shooting Brake or Shooting Break". Gorden Wagener, the young director of design at Mercedes-Benz, says his group wants to prove that elegance, muscle and practicality can go together.

The Shooting Break Concept also anticipates the design template for the forthcoming second-generation Mercedes-Benz CLS, which will appear in the U.S. early in 2011 with the choice of two new turbocharged gasoline engines.

The Shooting Break is the first public look at the 3.5-liter V6 turbo, which makes 306 horsepower and 273 pound-feet of torque (14 hp and 4 lb-ft of torque more than the current CLS's V8). For the new CLS, the naturally aspirated 5.5-liter V8 will be downsized to 4.6 liters and turbocharged. Although official figures are yet to be revealed, we understand this engine will pack as much as 435 hp and 406 lb-ft of torque (47 hp and 15 lb-ft of torque more than the current V8).

Despite the increase in output, the new forced-induction engines are claimed to boast vastly improved fuel economy along with a corresponding reduction in tailpipe emissions. They will be mated to a reworked version of Mercedes-Benz's 7G-Tronic seven-speed automatic transmission featuring a new torque converter that's claimed to provide faster and more efficient operation. Other developments for the European market include a new automatic start/stop system and brake energy recuperation for added efficiency.

Crowning the new CLS lineup will be a successor to the CLS63 AMG. It eschews the naturally aspirated 6.2-liter V8 of today's model for a new, turbocharged direct-injection 5.5-liter V8 (an engine previewed at the 2010 Geneva Auto Show). In standard form it kicks out 544 hp and 590 lb-ft of torque, while an optional performance package will increase output to 563 hp and 664 lb-ft of torque.

Sporting a broad, single-slat grille, angular headlamps, a long hood and a rounded coupe-style greenhouse with frameless side windows, the new CLS will follow through with the design direction set by the current CLS, which went on sale in North America in 2005. The look has been updated with tauter surfacing and added creases in the sheet metal, giving it a more athletic stance that emphasizes its rear-wheel-drive configuration. It also shares visual similarities to the more formal E-Class. Both the CLS and the E-Class will be produced at the Mercedes-Benz assembly plant in Sindelfingen, Germany.

The Shooting Break Concept also provides a look at the forthcoming 2012 Mercedes-Benz CLS Wagon. This combination of a taut, executive-class look and expanded cargo capacity is meant to prove that practicality doesn't have to compromise a car's style or driving dynamics. At 195.3 inches in overall length and 56.9 inches high, the concept car is a touch longer and slightly higher than the current CLS. In keeping with current design trends, it's also considerably wider at 76.8 inches, giving the Shooting Break loads of road presence. The very same dimensions are set to define the new CLS sedan.

While the exterior exudes a kind of highly technical strength, the warm interior welcomes you with a combination of soft forms and natural materials. The Mercedes-Benz designers tell us that it's very close to the appearance of the production CLS's interior, only with a unique dashboard and trim. Large expanses of leather are splashed throughout, while the cargo space is finished in oak and aluminum.

Mercedes-Benz is being noncommittal about the production prospects of this luxuriously appointed Shooting Break, suggesting it will gauge reaction of the public and prospective buyers before making any hard decisions about whether to press on or not. It is no secret, however, that Mercedes-Benz Chairman Dieter Zetsche has long desired such a car. As the Shooting Break's designers reveal, this is not the first time they have come up with a concept for a sporting wagon based on the CLS. "We did a similar thing back in 2003," one designer told us. "It was taken to one-to-one form and was supposed to have been at the Frankfurt auto show that year. But for one reason or the other the car was never revealed to the public. Instead, they unveiled the production CLS sedan."

The concept carries the production code X218 (the CLS sedan is known internally as C218), which we believe is another indication that this car is only a short step from production. Like the CLS, the Shooting Break rides on the same platform as the new E-Class, with a wheelbase stretched by 0.7 inch over the current CLS's 113.1-inch wheelbase. Like the new E-Class, the car carries all the safety and convenience features of the luxury S-Class in a medium-size package. You'll also note that the Shooting Break has headlights made up from 71 individual LEDs, suggesting that full LED headlights are on the way for Mercedes production cars.

Inside Line says: Americans will probably never love the shooting brake, even if it looks this good. — Andreas Stahl, Contributor

Source: http://www.insideline.com/mercedes-b...auto-show.html

Old 04-19-10, 04:16 PM
LexFather

Interior is cool. Exterior was done by someone that wants to work for Acura. Horrid. Mercedes in one generation is going from making the best looking luxury cars to some of the most overstyled/ugly/bland ones. Sigh....

Old 04-19-10, 04:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is fuglier than the crossturd. Disgusting.
Old 04-19-10, 04:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The side character line combined with pontoon rear fender bump is messed up. I could go on but why bother.
Old 04-19-10, 04:26 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Interior is cool. Exterior was done by someone that wants to work for Acura. Horrid. Mercedes in one generation is going from making the best looking luxury cars to some of the most overstyled/ugly/bland ones. Sigh....
I am curious about something.

How is this bland?

Most luxury manufacturers have always had conservative designs, especially European brands, of which Mercedes is probably at the forefront. Classy and slowly evolving designs has been their forte for decades. This car is pretty "radical" for a Mercedes design and is indicative of a whole new design direction at the brand.

Design is subjective, but I doubt one can call this design "bland".
Old 04-19-10, 04:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
I am curious about something.

How is this bland?

Most luxury manufacturers have always had conservative designs, especially European brands, of which Mercedes is probably at the forefront. Classy and slowly evolving designs has been their forte for decades. This car is pretty "radical" for a Mercedes design and is indicative of a whole new design direction at the brand.

Design is subjective, but I doubt one can call this design "bland".
I am not calling this bland, I am saying they went from making the most beautiful luxury cars to a lineup of ugly/bland/weird.

Old 04-19-10, 04:32 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am not calling this bland, I am saying they went from making the most beautiful luxury cars to a lineup of ugly/bland/weird.
Perhaps seeing the car in real life will change minds. That's usually the case.

It might be in the Mercedes museum in a few weeks. I should take a trip there to see this thing up close...
Old 04-19-10, 04:33 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Here's some information I found on the motor. Apparently it's the forerunner of a new generation of MB V6 engines.

The engine: enhanced performance, enhanced efficiency

The Shooting Break concept car is driven by the forerunner to the forthcoming new V-engine generation from Mercedes-Benz. The special features of the spray-guided direct injection engine include the latest generation of piezo-electric injection valves which enable multiple injections. Better lean operation is possible thanks to load monitoring of the pressure information. Even the operation of the ancillary components has been made efficient and there is also a start/stop function. The V6 with a 60° cylinder angle and displacement of 3.5 litres produces 225 kW (306 hp) with a maximum torque of 370 Nm.

And here are some more detailed shots of the interior.

Last edited by DustinV; 04-19-10 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-19-10, 04:48 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

A little confused. Traditionally, a shooting brake is a 2 door, square-back wagon. I don't know what to call *this*.
Old 04-19-10, 04:57 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

interior is practically production ready and is fit for the CLS. I see both C and E class elements in there so im sure it will look almost exactly like that. As for the exterior, its looks for R than CLS, haha
Old 04-19-10, 05:00 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, really digging the quality looking interior and sexy rear end, it's a little hard to get over the R class/CLS mix but I suppose many will buy it.
Old 04-19-10, 05:19 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

interesting character lines.

not sure if i like them though.....

maybe i'm not used to the downward sloping line.

the round window shape works well though.
Old 04-19-10, 05:23 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Perhaps if the R class looked a little more like this, then they might have sold more of them; however STILL not feeling it. Mercedes really needs to get on the ball to find their classic, time withstanding, styling that they once had. This car, as with most Mercedes nowdays, is almost forgettable.
Old 04-19-10, 05:23 PM
lex-phil
Driver

Originally Posted by IS350jet
A little confused. Traditionally, a shooting brake is a 2 door, square-back wagon. I don't know what to call *this*.
My exact reaction. This is more like a wagon. A CLS wagon.

but I think it looks good, inside and out. That is how a benz's dash should look, and not the 80s looking GLK dash.
Old 04-19-10, 05:29 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

The interior looks like it's pretty much production ready. I'm sure the exterior will be watered down from how it looks now if/when it makes production.

Wait a minute!!! That car has LED's in the headlights!! Now Mercedes is copying Hyundai!!!!

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz Shooting Break Concept (will be produced)