Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi RS5: overpriced epic fail

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 08:06 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is overpriced. Not from a numbers standpoint really though. Numbers aren't the be all end all of why one would buy a car. RS cars have always been traditionally more expensive, but over $100k is ridiculous. This thing is pretty much the same class as an M3 coupe and costs almost as much as an R8. It'd rather spend the extra 30gs and get an R8 thanks.
Old 04-14-10, 08:07 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

All German cars are overpriced. What's new?
Old 04-14-10, 08:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

like some posted, 105k is direct conversion from euro price, it doesn't apply like that..... a better comparison would be to get the euro prices for m3 and c63 and it will be on the same playing field....

if this car is really going for 100k here in the US, then it's nuts and will not sell well at all
Old 04-14-10, 09:03 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Considering that a Nissan GT-R fetches close to 85K now, 105K is not much of a jump for a German limited edition car.
Old 04-14-10, 09:07 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
like some posted, 105k is direct conversion from euro price, it doesn't apply like that..... a better comparison would be to get the euro prices for m3 and c63 and it will be on the same playing field....

if this car is really going for 100k here in the US, then it's nuts and will not sell well at all
I agree with ROMINL, Audi is not crazy. Originally, they had no plans to bring it to the US because there was no market for it and they had to make sure they got the pricing right. So I am sure that now that they have agreed to bring it state side, it will be for a better price, although I am banking on around $85k loaded. Given that price, you still have to ask yourself if it is worth it.

Great car, but maybe overpriced, even at $85k.
Old 04-14-10, 09:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
I agree with ROMINL, Audi is not crazy. Originally, they had no plans to bring it to the US because there was no market for it and they had to make sure they got the pricing right. So I am sure that now that they have agreed to bring it state side, it will be for a better price, although I am banking on around $85k loaded. Given that price, you still have to ask yourself if it is worth it.

Great car, but maybe overpriced, even at $85k.
yup, around 80 is my prediction
Old 04-14-10, 09:18 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I can see it at that price, about $10 above the M3. I can see that as feasible, especially since the RS5 is kind of like a 5 series coupe more than a 3series coupe, but not quite to 6 level.
Old 04-14-10, 09:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If it is actually going to be priced (before dealer markups, of course), for 105K in the American market, then I have to agree with those posters who feel it is overpriced. A regular 2010 S5 starts at literally half that ($52,400), is already (IMO) one of the best-looking coupes on the market, and is a darn nice machine to drive. Some people, of course, don't feel that the S5's 354 HP/325 ft-lbs. torque V8 gives enough grunt. We had one CL member not long ago (I forget who it was) who was grumbling that his year-old S5 wasn't fast enough, so he traded it for a new Cadillac CTS-V with a lot more power (556 HP). But, even then, (and even taking a depreciation bath on the year-old Audi) a new CTS-V certainly didn't run 105K list (although you never know what actual dealer markups are going to be).

If Henry (rominl) and Mbenz528i are correct, however, and it ends up going for around 80-85K without markups, then that is another matter. That would be more reasonable, and I agree it would likely sell....especially in high-income areas like D.C. and CA.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-14-10 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-14-10, 10:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This car is a 3 series/6 series tweener for Audi. It will be more than $80k m.s.r.p. in base.. The price of admission for the Audi RS4 opened some eyes & wallets when it was available.. What a drive that car was/is
Old 04-14-10, 10:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
I can see it at that price, about $10 above the M3. I can see that as feasible, especially since the RS5 is kind of like a 5 series coupe more than a 3series coupe, but not quite to 6 level.
the previous rs4 loaded was over 80k right? so i won't be surprised a lightly loaded rs5 to be 80k and a loaded one to be in the high 80s. that's still pretty ouch when you consider a loaded e92 m3 is around low 70s (not throwing in isf and c63 since they are sedan).
Old 04-14-10, 10:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
This car is a 3 series/6 series tweener for Audi. It will be more than $80k m.s.r.p. in base.. The price of admission for the Audi RS4 opened some eyes & wallets when it was available.. What a drive that car was/is
actually from my experience and also talking to a lot of people, the previous rs4 wasn't really worth the admission ticket of 80k. the hype went well in the beginning, but died down very fast. i have posted a few times before, towards the end of its life (rs4), i saw a few new ones at the dealership, with a red tag on them saying 53k, and that's without negotiation.

performance wise most people pretty much think it's right on par with the m3, which is a good thing, coz' audi usually has more stylish interior design than bmw. but that's still a very high price tag (80k) for a car of that size / league

the a5/s5/rs5 is a "funny" package. most will pretty much put the car together with the 3 series (performance, price, market, etc...), size is probably the only thing that might stretch it into the 6 series category, but to be honest i don't think it's at that league neither, and i doubt a lot of 6 series owners (or m6 owners) will consider the s5 (or rs5)
Old 04-14-10, 10:48 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RS4's glory days seemed to die out pretty quickly when the M3, ISF, and C63 showed up. Remember that when the RS4 was in it's prime, the Merc wasn't that much of a competitor and the M3 was coupe-only. If I recall correctly, most of the comparos pitted it against the E63 and M5 since it really had no direct competitors.

The landscape has obviously changed a lot since then, and I really don't see Audi as being able to price themselves $20K out of the market like they did last time ($80K or thereabouts). That said, with the pricing of the S4, it wouldn't really surprise me.

Like Sean said, the A/S/RS5 is really an in-betweener car for Audi so they will have to be careful with how they price and position the RS5. IMO, It needs to be a significantly better car, all around, than the M3 to justify an $80K+ price tag...and that is easier said than done.
Old 04-14-10, 10:51 AM
LexFather

actually from my experience and also talking to a lot of people, the previous rs4 wasn't really worth the admission ticket of 80k. the hype went well in the beginning, but died down very fast. i have posted a few times before, towards the end of its life (rs4), i saw a few new ones at the dealership, with a red tag on them saying 53k, and that's without negotiation.

performance wise most people pretty much think it's right on par with the m3, which is a good thing, coz' audi usually has more stylish interior design than bmw. but that's still a very high price tag (80k) for a car of that size / league

the a5/s5/rs5 is a "funny" package. most will pretty much put the car together with the 3 series (performance, price, market, etc...), size is probably the only thing that might stretch it into the 6 series category, but to be honest i don't think it's at that league neither, and i doubt a lot of 6 series owners (or m6 owners) will consider the s5 (or rs5)
Bingo

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I don't believe the car is overpriced. AWD, killer motor, seats, gearbox, sheet metal, heritage etc. etc. If it is too much $$$ the car is not for you.
Very simplistic

Exactly, this is a conversion price and likely not very accurate.

Originally Posted by venom21
If you're talking about being overpriced when looking at numbers then you might want to look at the LFA. Thats a whole other can of worms though. The RS5 pricing is fine, if it was the RS4 then I would be clamoring over the price.
What does the LFA have to do with this? Some people think a Sonata is overpriced, a basic A4, a 911 GT3, it is all relative.

Old 04-14-10, 11:11 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully that is just an overly simplified price conversion making it look that expensive. If it does come here with that sticker price it's close to M6 territory and personally, I think I'd rather have an M6.

RS4/6 hype was VERY shot lived though I still wouldn't mind having one. I see one near my grandparents house parked on the street in the same spot every time I visit, almost like the person that owns it doesn't drive it... haha
Old 04-14-10, 11:12 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by venom21
If you're talking about being overpriced when looking at numbers then you might want to look at the LFA. Thats a whole other can of worms though. The RS5 pricing is fine, if it was the RS4 then I would be clamoring over the price.
The LFA is a engineering and technological masterpiece built from the ground up. The RS4 has nothing groundbreaking, its based on the other S cars, its just got more power and some shiny bits.

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
To drive a much more exclusive car with AWD, better interior and looks, it'll cost ya $40K over the M3.

As Dash said, if you have to ask, it's too much
I'd be looking at 911's or audi R8's in that range.

Quick Reply: Audi RS5: overpriced epic fail