Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 04:07 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh-oh!
http://www.justnews.com/automotive/23133359/detail.html
Old 04-14-10, 04:42 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DustinV
I would like to know what kind of moron would drive a Lexus GX "to the limit" on a racetrack? Certainly not most shoppers of this kind of vehicle.

So why is this test so important? Seems to me that Consumer Reports, as always, gets upset about minor, almost trivial issues like this for example. If I bought a GX, I could care less about how the car would handle at its limit. I'd never take the car to that level in the first place. If I wanted to drive in such a fashion, I'll buy a sports car, not an SUV.

Besides, SUVs are overweight and handle poorly by nature (with some exceptions). I'm always amazed by the people who complain about the "handling and acceleration" of a big and heavy SUV. They're clearly eying the wrong car. One word: FAIL.
The test performed by CR on the GX460 is indeed a very real scenario that people can find themselves in. They even state in the video that heading into an unfamiliar freeway on ramp too fast (accidentally) and lifting throttle, or worse, applying the brakes to slow down could very easily cause this to happen. In the video, you can see the stability control working, albeit, a little too late. CR's claim is that stability control should have prevented the over-steer to begin with. I, too, wonder why the stability control let the tail out that much. It *does* appear that the stability control on the GX is set more on the "fun" side than the "nanny" side. It should be a very simple fix for Lexus.

Also, did CR test more than one? Is it at all possible that this particular GX had a malfunction? Bald tires? Water/oil slicked pavement? Inconsistent driver? Worn brakes? Anything's possible. It's just difficult to believe that Lexus would program the stability control computer to allow the vehicle to get that far out of control before stepping in. Something is not right. I'm not blaming Lexus, but something does not add up.
Old 04-14-10, 05:10 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by valgs350
At 56 seconds shows a 2 door Prado. huh.
Old 04-14-10, 06:20 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wannaGX
At 56 seconds shows a 2 door Prado. huh.
There are 3-door models in other markets. They are just under 2 inches shorter than the 5-door you're used to.

Old 04-14-10, 06:40 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by YEH
The problem is that Lexus has been touting the emergency handling/sharp turn capabilities of the 2010 GX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV7zS8Mknb0

And older commercials like this give a totally wrong impression of BOF SUVs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k49I50n--8
Yes, and in my previous posts I did say that this is a problem because of how Lexus markets this truck.

In any case, I doubt that even 1% of GX/LX buyers use their trucks to tow or go off-road, at least in the USA. It really makes no sense to keep them on truck chassis, seeing how mostly everyone else moved to IRS. Even some of the full size SUV's such as Lincoln Navigator, Ford Expedition and Mercedes GL are riding on IRS. And then when you consider that neither GX or LX have front/rear lockers anymore, just LSDs and center locker, their off-road capabilities cannot possibly be that good.

They are better off moving GX onto unibody IRS chassis, with AWD system similar to Acura's SH-AWD, at least for the US market.
Old 04-14-10, 07:27 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel for Toyota. This has to seem like a bad dream that they wish they'd wake up from.
Old 04-14-10, 07:29 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default This just in!

Just in:

-----Original Message-----
From: CNN Breaking News [mailto:BreakingNews@mail.cnn.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 7:11 PM
To: textbreakingnews@ema3lsv06.turner.com
Subject: CNN Breaking News

Toyota asks dealers to temporarily halt sales of 2010 Lexus GX 460 SUV after a Consumer Reports safety warning.
Old 04-14-10, 07:39 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
Just in:

-----Original Message-----
From: CNN Breaking News [mailto:BreakingNews@mail.cnn.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 7:11 PM
To: textbreakingnews@ema3lsv06.turner.com
Subject: CNN Breaking News

Toyota asks dealers to temporarily halt sales of 2010 Lexus GX 460 SUV after a Consumer Reports safety warning.
Sorry kid, you've been out-scooped. See post #67.
Old 04-14-10, 07:55 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
Sorry kid, you've been out-scooped. See post #67.
I'm glad Toyota is quicker than that ("just in:").
Old 04-14-10, 08:22 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default oh Lord

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I'm glad Toyota is quicker than that ("just in:").
When I said this just in it was in reference to an email I just received auotmated from CNN not that the news is new....
Old 04-14-10, 08:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The GX has got to be a slow seller.Styling is not great,it's expensive and a 15/20 MPG rating is awful.
This negative new may kill it.
Agreed. For most people, unless they need the GX's off-road or towing capabilities, the RX is a better choice for everyday driving. It would probably be in my own Top 5 list for a potential new vehicle.
Old 04-14-10, 08:47 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed. For most people, unless they need the GX's off-road or towing capabilities, the RX is a better choice for everyday driving. It would probably be in my own Top 5 list for a potential new vehicle.
Consumer Reports has yet to put the new RX through the same test.. Will you await their findings before making your purchase decision?

Hey, I just got a survey from the automobile bible Consumer Reports for the first time
Old 04-14-10, 08:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

had a knowledgeable guy chime in on another forum:

I saw the video that Consumer Reports released on the GX460. It wasn't even close to rolling over. It never even got one tire off the ground.

And the test that Consumer Reports did was BS and not representative of real world driving situations. The only reason the GX was oversteering was because the magazine test driver kept his foot in the gas and counter-steered even as the tail end was starting to come around. 99.9% of drivers on the street would have lifted off the gas when the tail started coming around. What would happen if you lift mid slide? How would the vehicle behave? THAT is the test that represents the most likely real world scenario.

Also Oversteer =/= Rollover
Old 04-14-10, 09:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Toyota needs to have a more adaptive stability control system, that can change how it reacts based on different conditions and situations.
yup, on cars like these, different modes with different kind of stability control would be useful. just like isf, there are different modes, why not on a suv that very rarely people take them off road?

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
had a knowledgeable guy chime in on another forum:
read my earlier post, this is a pro driver driving the car simulating a possibility. look at the video again, midway through the slide, he countered the steering by turning left. that took away the whole roll over momentum already, that's why it just kept on sliding. if the driver did not counter the steer (which is the case when most normal people drive), it will continue to roll)

and i think the driver let go of the gas or not, it doesn't take away the fact that the stability control did not react. it could have cut off the fuel and applied brakes independently just like other cars. but at least according to CR the system did not kick in soon enough

again, i am just referring to what's shown on video, in no way am i saying whether CR is right or wrong, or what their standard and test parameters are, or how other suvs they have tested react. they could be right, they could be wrong.
Old 04-14-10, 09:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Consumer Reports has yet to put the new RX through the same test.. Will you await their findings before making your purchase decision?
Yes, of course, but I don't think the RX will have any problems. Not only has it done well in CR's past handling tests, but it seems wider in relation to its height, than the narrower GX. Width (usually) adds to stability. The RX is also unibody/car-based, not truck-based like the GX. Car-based SUV's usually (but not always, as the Suzuki Samurai showed) have better handling than truck-based ones.

Hey, I just got a survey from the automobile bible Consumer Reports for the first time
You and MANY others. CR has what is arguably the largest, most comprehensive auto-reliability database on the market. Of course, DOT/NHTSA/EPA also has huge databases, but they are generally for different finctions...more safety/recall-related than for general reliability.

Quick Reply: GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)