Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-10, 10:56 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
How come we haven't heard any owners with the issue? We have not one complaint about this.
One very influential complaint.

We believe that in real-world driving, that situation could lead to a rollover accident, which could cause serious injury or death. We are not aware, however, of any such reports.
Still better safe than sorry. :/
Old 04-13-10, 10:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by YEH
And we're all stunned by your response - lol!

And if you don't think that commercial was a bit irresponsible (as would any manufacturer who touts the emergency handling capabilities of a BOF SUV), then you have a thinner skin w/ regard to Toyota/Lexus criticism than even most Toyota/Lexus "homers."
Originally Posted by encore888
One very influential complaint.

Still better safe than sorry,
Well lets see what Lexus says or does. Going to be interesting (again).

Old 04-13-10, 11:08 PM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Laws of physics my friend. This particular SUV wasn't designed for handling, and it's not meant to be driven in the way they are testing it.
I'm sure Nissan said the same thing to all the GT-R drivers dumping transmissions.
Old 04-13-10, 11:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts

The worst part about this entire thing is how the news media is reporting it and how the average Joe is going to perceive it. The report I heard on ABC tonight validated that. The news did nothing to talk about the slide or stability control. They just showed the video and said the vehicle is being recalled for rolling over. I garantee you, 85-90% of the general public now thinks this SUV rolls over- which it does not. This is how our society works and feeds now- ratings, money, hype, bad-mouthing and gossip. I think it all started with reality shows and watching people fail in them. Now we have to make outselves feel better by watching others (Toyota/Lexus) fail. It's the new American way.
Old 04-13-10, 11:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The worst part about this entire thing is how the news media is reporting it and how the average Joe is going to perceive it. The report I heard on ABC tonight validated that. The news did nothing to talk about the slide or stability control. They just showed the video and said the vehicle is being recalled for rolling over. I garantee you, 85-90% of the general public now thinks this SUV rolls over- which it does not. This is how our society works and feeds now- ratings, money, hype, bad-mouthing and gossip. I think it all started with reality shows and watching people fail in them. Now we have to make outselves feel better by watching others (Toyota/Lexus) fail. It's the new American way.
funny, i just watched the abc news at 11 here in socal, and it's pretty different. it explained pretty clearly that CR conducted the study and that the car is more likely to have roll over due to stability control (while showing the video)

and to be fair, they actually interviewed people from edmunds, which commented that this is a relatively small incident right now, and not likely to affect toyota/lexus sales significantly. they also commented that people should not panic, the car is still very much safe to drive, just need more (common) senses and pay closer attention until lexus come out with solution.

they also posted a note from lexus saying that their engineers are actively studying the car together with the specific test parameters from CR so they can further improve the GX's performance

i think they reported it very well and probably the best for toyota too
Old 04-13-10, 11:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
watch the video again and see how the pro driver corrected the car in the middle when the rear was swinging out. he countered the oversteer by turning the wheel to the left. that's what saved the car.

if it's normal people driving, in oversteering condition, they don't counter the steering and the car WILL flip for sure

that's the difference. this video shows the potential problem -- without the unfortunate ending

a lot of people completely missed the point of this study and report. it's not about driving smart or stupid, that's a completely different topic. but this is about safety and "unforeseen" condition....

it's basically saying if everyone drives smart and right, then there is absolutely zero need for stability control, airbags, bumper crush bars, reinforced structures and protections, etc... coz' there won't be any accidents right?

the point of all these is to have computers to help take control of the car and avoid potential problems. and in this case (at least according to CR), the gx is not living up to expectations

yes, i agree, their quick and decisive response this time is probably one of the best i have seen in recent time by toyota. better safe than sorry, better be conservative. hold off everything and study / understand further, implement necessary fixes if applicable, and then come clean.

toyota was already in trouble with their recent problems left and right, and the report from CR this morning would not help them in anyway. instead of having other random people or presses put further damages, toyota now basically stops everything.

if anything, this is more like a ecu fix, and that's very much programmable which is a great thing

this probably will cause toyota the least damages in the long run regarding this issue
Exactly.

Regardless of sensationalism, skill of a driver, or what to do in that situation, Toyota for it's own sake needs to fix this quickly, and move on.

Plus, emergency situations are called that for a reason. You don't expect or anticipate an emergency.

Big respect to Lexus for putting a notice up on the US website already in such quick fashion, and making sure Lexus owners and buyers know that loaners are being provided to anyone who has a GX 460 and is worried about it.

Now that's customer service.

Toyota seems to be acting much faster now and this I think will minimize or prevent future media witch hunts against Toyota.
Old 04-13-10, 11:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

funny, i just watched the abc news at 11 here in socal, and it's pretty different. it explained pretty clearly that CR conducted the study and that the car is more likely to have roll over due to stability control (while showing the video)

and to be fair, they actually interviewed people from edmunds, which commented that this is a relatively small incident right now, and not likely to affect toyota/lexus sales significantly. they also commented that people should not panic, the car is still very much safe to drive, just need more (common) senses and pay closer attention until lexus come out with solution.

they also posted a note from lexus saying that their engineers are actively studying the car together with the specific test parameters from CR so they can further improve the GX's performance

i think they reported it very well and probably the best for toyota too
I found the report lacking, like most have so far on the news. The video of the power slide is being shown when they are saying the car rolls over. Another clips states the same thing while showing the GX comfortably going around a corner. That doesn't mesh and is confusing to the average non-car person. And bare in mind half the people watching the news have it on in the background and are doing other things, not paying full attention. All they are going to hear is "...Lexus recalled for roll over." Again, I garantee you the majority of people (non-car enthusiasts) hearing these reports are going to panic, get the wrong idea, and this entire thing will get blown out of proportion again. Our society, with the help of the media, wants the hype, wants the choas, and wants the failure.
Old 04-14-10, 12:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I found the report lacking, like most have so far on the news. The video of the power slide is being shown when they are saying the car rolls over. Another clips states the same thing while showing the GX comfortably going around a corner. That doesn't mesh and is confusing to the average non-car person. And bare in mind half the people watching the news have it on in the background and are doing other things, not paying full attention. All they are going to hear is "...Lexus recalled for roll over." Again, I garantee you the majority of people (non-car enthusiasts) hearing these reports are going to panic, get the wrong idea, and this entire thing will get blown out of proportion again. Our society, with the help of the media, wants the hype, wants the choas, and wants the failure.
maybe, but that's america in general, like it or not. something no one can really control

and in that sense, again, back to lexus and i think they have done the very best
Old 04-14-10, 12:16 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

maybe, but that's america in general, like it or not. something no one can really control

and in that sense, again, back to lexus and i think they have done the very best
You are right. Lexus can only do what it has to do to get through this mess. I think stopping sales was a bold and brave move. Hopefully the ECU's can be reprogrammed and this put behind us. I don't want anything messing with my IS resale value. ; )
Old 04-14-10, 12:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

You are right. Lexus can only do what it has to do to get through this mess. I think stopping sales was a bold and brave move. Hopefully the ECU's can be reprogrammed and this put behind us. I don't want anything messing with my IS resale value. ; )
lol, funny thing is this morning when i read the report i told my wife "time to score a deal on the gx"
Old 04-14-10, 12:41 AM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

This is why I bought my GX460 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9BiZ...eature=related

I didn't buy it for a formula Drift event, Consumer Reports is full of crap, hopefully Toyota sues them like Suzuki did!
Old 04-14-10, 01:04 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
does releasing the throlle really make the rear stick out? I cant imagine the theory behind that part.

anywhoo, somebody at the lexus/toyota programming division needs to be fired.
It can, and it does. Have you ever driven an empty 2wd Ford pickup on ice? Same thing happens. But that is on ice. Basically when you lift your foot off the gas quickly, and the drivetrain disengages, the transmission "Locks" momentarily. All cars/trucks do this, but it is most noticable in RWD/AWD/4WD vehicles, ESPECIALLY with Drive By Wire. Next time you are in, say...a chevy pickup...try this:

Slam your foot down on the gas (in a safe are of course, doesnt take very long to feel the effects), then LET GO as quickly as you stomped on the gas and dont hit the brakes. You will hear the "kachunk" as soon as you lift off the gas. The noise you will hear is the Universal joints in the driveshaft coping with the sudden halt of torque output from the transmission.

Its the transmission "backwinding" (a.k.a. engine braking) that is the issue here. In Lexus' case, I would be inclined to believe a simple TCM (trans control module) reflash would be needed to change a few things. Or an ECU (Engine control unit) reflash to adjust the DBW system.

I doubt VERY seriously (given toyota/lexus' track record over the last 20 years) that it is ANYWHERE near as serious as CR made it out to be.

The Problem is more likely related to HOW they were driving the SUV in the first place. It isnt a sports car, it is a SPORT UTILITY VEHICLE...and as such should be driven like one...with extreme caution and the utmost care.

[/end rant]
Old 04-14-10, 01:28 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by valgs350
Toyota made the VSC react the way it does on the GX460 for "off-roading purposes." Your bound to loose traction on loose gravel, mud, snow, sand, rocks, etc. Do you really want VSC intruding on your off-roading adventure, the Land Cruiser prados have the same ECu structure!
I'm curious about this point, on the issue of when VSC is programmed to kick in. As mentioned in the other GX forum thread, some Toyota or Lexus VSC/VDIM systems have been criticized for reacting too intrusively, and the recent ABS recall was for it reacting too slowly on rough roads. Could this be a different case where it is programmed to react differently on purpose? That would also be a reason why the mfr. tests see no issue, as the system reacts to their design parameters. Obviously CR sees things differently, but of the 50 tests it ran, this was the red flag. I wonder about the setting that the vehicle was tested in too.
Old 04-14-10, 01:36 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota needs to have a more adaptive stability control system, that can change how it reacts based on different conditions and situations.
Old 04-14-10, 03:34 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The GX has got to be a slow seller.Styling is not great,it's expensive and a 15/20 MPG rating is awful.
This negative new may kill it.

Quick Reply: GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)