Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 10:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
I am curious whether this is enough or whether it needs firmer suspension. Personally I wouldn't feel safe driving this SUV hard without APSSS.
All else equal, giving it a stiffer suspension will probably lessen the amount of body lean, but it won't change the center of gravity, which is determined by physics.

And, if what you mean by driving a vehicle like this "hard" is aggressive cornering, SUVs are not designed to be sports cars, despite the title 'Sport" in their description. Some SUVs with slightly lowered stances and reworked chassis, like the present Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 and the old Dodge Shelby Durango and GMC Typhoon of years ago, can be driven a little "harder" around corners than more mundane models, but even they are not meant to corner like real sports cars.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-19-10 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-19-10, 11:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It's not necessarily a "big defect". It could be that VSC was simply programmed more for off-road use in this case, allowing more slippage to occur.

Either way, it's an easy fix.

Why wouldn't this be enough ?

Did you watch the video? All 4 wheels stayed firmly planted on the ground thanks to KDSS.
yup, i think that's likely the case, the way lexus has it programmed right now is not as sensitive, all they need to do is to tune up the sensitivity.

one time my porsche friend tested out the gs and said it's such a "horrible" car to drive (in a joking way ) i guess that's just how we feel when we go from sedans/coupes to suv. you just have to drive with common sense
Old 04-19-10, 11:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's some background that may help explain, courtesy of the 2GX forum post, and an AP article:

Originally Posted by jjbodean
During a test conducted by Consumer’s Union (Consumer Reports), the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) did not activate at the initiation of tire slippage. This is due to the gentle yaw rate level generated by this model’s high suspension performance system known as KDSS (Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System).
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010..._r=1&src=busln

Originally Posted by Associated Press
The vehicles requiring the update are 13,000 GX 460 vehicles -- 9,400 of them in the U.S., 1,000 in Russia and 1,000 in Oman. Also affected are some types of left-hand-drive Land Cruiser Prado models. Those models total 21,000 globally, including 4,400 in Oman, 4,000 in Russia and 1,500 in the United Arab Emirates, according to Toyota.

Toyota said the vehicles could slide sideways when turning sharply at high speeds, partly because the fuel tank and the presence of the driver may make the left side of a vehicle heavier. ''Circumstances may require advanced driving skills, such as sharp turns of the steering wheel in high-speed conditions or negotiating a curve to the right at excessive speeds,'' it said.
It sounds like there are a number of complex factors affecting the VSC response rate, which I guess after the software update will now be more aggressive.
Old 04-19-10, 11:36 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that background info encore.

It definitely sounds like the sensitivity for the VSC is simply too low.
Old 04-20-10, 11:21 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Turns out that only LHD models are affected because both the driver and the fuel tank are on the left. And only KDSS-eqiupped 18"-wheel models exhibit the problem so the 4Runner is not included.

Video: Before-fix and after-fix comparison

Press Release: http://www2.toyota.co.jp/en/news/10/04/0420.html

TMC Announces Remedy for Vehicle Stability Control in Lexus GX 460 and Toyota Land Cruiser Prado

Toyota City, Japan—Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) announces its remedy for the problem concerning the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) program in its Lexus GX 460 and certain Land Cruiser Prado vehicles.

In circumstances in which advanced driving skills are required, such as when a driver of the involved vehicle sharply turns the steering wheel in high-speed conditions, or when the driver negotiates a curve at excessive speeds, the vehicle could slide sideways, due to the insufficient activation of the VSC.

The following conditions combine to cause the problem:
- In the GX 460 and Land Cruiser Prado, heavy components, such as the fuel tank, are located on the left side, and in left-hand drive versions, the left side is made even heavier because of the presence of the driver.
- For vehicles with certain tires (on 18-inch wheels) and equipped with the Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS*) and VSC, the activation of the VSC may not be sufficient in certain circumstances due to the setting of the VSC program.
- Circumstances may require advanced driving skills, such as sharp turns of the steering wheel in high-speed conditions or negotiating a curve to the right at excessive speeds.

As a remedy, Toyota will update the VSC program to enhance the effectiveness of the VSC so that the risk of the vehicle sliding, even to the point that it is almost sideways, will be reduced.

Vehicles involved are as follows:
- GX 460: Approx. 13,000 units in total Approx. 9,400 units in the United States, approx. 1,000 units in Russia, approx 1,000 units in Oman
- Land Cruiser Prado: Approx. 21,000 units in total (only left-hand drive vehicles with KDSS and VSC)
Approx. 4,400 units in Oman, approx. 4,000 units in Russia, approx. 1,500 units in the United Arab Emirates. No right-hand drive units have this problem.

In total, approximately 34,000 units worldwide are involved. In North America, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. (TMS) and Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) each announced a voluntary recall on April 19 (local time). As for other regions and countries involved, such as in Europe and the Middle East, TMC will work to implement similar measures as soon as possible.

*Optimally adjusts the front and rear stabilizers so that the stabilizers disengage in rough road conditions, thereby preventing the vehicle from pitching in curves.

Last edited by Mister Two; 04-20-10 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-20-10, 11:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

glad to see toyota so quickly narrows down the problem to specific cases, that shows me good work being done
Old 04-20-10, 01:07 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
glad to see toyota so quickly narrows down the problem to specific cases, that shows me good work being done
They can't afford not to with all the negative publicity they're getting. They're pretty much on probation now with the public.
Old 04-20-10, 05:34 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The vid is now on YouTube, which may be convenient for some browsers:

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDTeO...layer_embedded

They do a side-by-side video comparison at the end which shows a difference in the tail movement.
Old 04-20-10, 06:13 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Awesome job by Toyota. The problem was narrowed down extremely quickly and they already have a fix .

No further witch hunts can be mounted against Toyota when they are acting so fast.
Old 04-20-10, 06:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nicely done Toyota/Lexus, these systems need to work as designed.

VSC is a very important safety feature for SUV's and light trucks especially.
Old 04-20-10, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

because the fuel tank and the presence of the driver may make the left side of a vehicle heavier.
Put guys like me in it......even more so.

TMC Announces Remedy for Vehicle Stability Control in Lexus GX 460 and Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
This is a little confusing, the way it is worded. In the U.S., the 4Runner is the twin of the GX460, not a Land Cruiser "Prado". The regular Land Cruiser, of course, in the U.S., is the twin of the larger, heavier Lexus LX570....there is no "Prado". The only sense I can make out of this (and correct me of I'm wrong) is that the 4Runner, the GX460's real twin, is called the Land Cruiser Prado overseas. But if that is the case, when what is the overseas 4Runner called? And what is the American Land cruiser called overseas? You can't have the same vehicles, in the same country, called two different names. Then, of course, there is the FJ Cruiser, which is also done on the 4Runner platform and (assumingly) has the same VSC system.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-20-10 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 06:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Put guys like me in it......even more so.
Yes, especially if riding high on the roof rack, really wrecks the CG.
Old 04-20-10, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, especially if riding high on the roof rack, really wrecks the CG.
Never mind the rack...I'd buckle the roof itself. So much for the humor...let's get serious a minute. Can you figure this one out ?.....you're usually pretty good with vehicle specs. I know a lot of them too, but this is a tough one:

(see my post above, #220)

TMC Announces Remedy for Vehicle Stability Control in Lexus GX 460 and Toyota Land Cruiser Pr
This is a little confusing, the way it is worded. In the U.S., the 4Runner is the twin of the GX460, not a Land Cruiser "Prado". The regular Land Cruiser, of course, in the U.S., is the twin of the larger, heavier Lexus LX570....there is no "Prado". The only sense I can make out of this (and correct me of I'm wrong) is that the 4Runner, the GX460's real twin, is called the Land Cruiser Prado overseas. But if that is the case, when what is the overseas 4Runner called? And what is the American Land cruiser called overseas? You can't have the same vehicles, in the same country, called two different names. Then, of course, there is the FJ Cruiser, which is also done on the 4Runner platform and (assumingly) has the same VSC system.
Old 04-20-10, 07:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know all the names of the versions sold overseas, but CL does have some members with good international exposure.

But regarding the FJ Cruiser, it comes as no surprise to me that even if it has the same VSC system, the programming for this seriously offroad capable FJ would be vastly different/unique and not necessarily have the same flaw(s). The differences in wheelbase dimensions, tire/wheel types and sizes alone require different programming.

Last edited by IS-SV; 04-20-10 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 07:10 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The recall only affects the two models, the GX and the Prado (overseas). The 4 runner is not affected and therefore is not included when they say that it includes only the GX and the Prado.

Quick Reply: GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)