Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 03:32 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
yes, typo above sb oversteer
lol got it, fixed
Old 04-14-10, 05:57 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

"maybe prone to rollovers"
"can cause rollover"
"potential rollover"

my eyes are rolling over
Old 04-14-10, 06:42 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just searched for "Lexus" on Google and found something which made me think...a bit tacky and questions their financial motive. They run these tests, find an issue (aha!) with no actual incidents (still, yes), then they can run ads, get subscribers off it, go on TV etc...

"Safety Risk...Find Out More Here!" seems rather hyperbolic and sensationalized, it seems that the headlines and 'don't buy' classification may be somewhat hyped for their own benefit.
Attached Thumbnails GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)-lexus-google-news-20100414-183915.png  
Old 04-14-10, 10:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Stability control is standard on all SUVs from Toyota/Lexus. Very few cars today do not come with stability control systems today, more of a rare exception for model year 2010.
VSC will soon be a Federally-mandated requirement for all vehicles under 10,000 lbs. (the latest figure I saw is September 2011). The mandate is unclear if a VSC deactivate switch is required.
Old 04-14-10, 11:13 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm curious, are CL members in other countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, Russia etc... noticing Toyota getting blasted in the MSM about the gas pedals, brakes and the GX? I'm wondering if this is purely an American attack on Toyota...
Old 04-14-10, 11:55 PM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is strictly the US
Old 04-15-10, 12:51 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by G Star
I'm curious, are CL members in other countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, Russia etc... noticing Toyota getting blasted in the MSM about the gas pedals, brakes and the GX? I'm wondering if this is purely an American attack on Toyota...
i don't know about other countries, but many carribbean islands and small countries in latin america still worship toyota and honda.
Old 04-15-10, 12:54 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SGMIS3
It is strictly the US
Exactly. It's strictly a US witch hunt against Toyota.
Old 04-15-10, 02:57 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Charles Bell
Programs Director
Ellen Bloom
Director of Washington Office and Federal Policy
DeAnn Friedholm
Campaign Director Healthcare Reform
Jean Halloran
Director of Food Policy Initiatives
Elizabeth (Betsy) Imholz
Director of Special Projects
Reggie James
Director, Policy Outreach and Southwest Office
Donald L. Mays
Senior Director, Product Safety and Technical Public Policy
Chris Meyer
Vice President for External Affairs and Information Services
[SIZE="7"]Elisa Odabashian
Director, West Coast Office and State Campaigns
Urvashi Rangan
Director, Technical Policy
Rob Schneider
Director, External Relations
Ken Weine
Vice President of Communications

Policy Advocates
Shannon Baker-Branstetter
Policy Analyst
Robbin Blaine
Foundation Grants Officer
Lauren Zeichner Bowne
Staff Attorney
J. Alex Chasick
Senior Fellow
Janell Mayo Duncan
Senior Counsel
Kennerly H. Digges
Research Professor
Steve Findlay
Senior Health Policy Analyst
Ami Gadhia
Policy Counsel, Product, Food, and Auto Safety
Norma P. Garcia
Senior Attorney
Michael Hansen
Senior Staff Scientist
Suzanne Henry
Campaign Organizer, StopHospitalInfections.org
Gail Hillebrand
Senior Attorney and Manager, Financial Services Campaign
Michelle Jun
Staff Attorney
Joel Kelsey
Policy Analyst
Lisa McGiffert
Project Director, StopHospitalInfections.org
Lynn Quincy
Senior Policy Analyst
Sondra Roberto
Staff Attorney
Mark Savage
Senior Attorney
Laurie Sobel
Senior Attorney
Kristi Wiedemann
Science and Policy Analyst
Bob Williams
Strategic Resource Director and HearUsNow.org
Jørgen Wouters
Senior Producer, Consumer Reports WebWatch
http://www.consumersunion.org/about/staff.html

Ellen Bloom

Director of Washington Office and Federal Policy

Ellen joined CU in the Spring of 2002. Before joining CU, Ellen spent more than 26 years working in both the legislative and executive branches of the federal government. She served in the Clinton Administration as Deputy Chief of Staff and as Counselor to two Commerce Secretaries, and also served as Deputy Assistant Secretary for Legislative and Intergovernmental Affairs at Commerce. Prior to that, Ellen spent more than 18 years working in the U.S. Senate. She holds a Master of Arts degree from George Washington University and a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Maryland. Ellen lives in Silver Spring, Maryland with her husband and has one daughter in high school and a son in college.

Shannon Baker-Branstetter is a policy analyst with the Washington, D.C. Office of Consumers Union and handles energy and environmental policy. Ms. Baker-Branstetter works with Congress, the Department of Energy, and the Environmental Protection Agency as part of her work.
Kennerly H. Digges

Research Professor

Dr. Digges has been involved in safety research for over thirty years, and [U][B][SIZE="6"]spent fourteen years as a senior executive with NHTSA. As Director of Vehicle Safety Research, he managed NHTSA's research to maintain and advance the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. In 1978,he originated and directed NHTSA’s first New Car Assessment Program (NCAP). He also directed NHTSA’s research programs that led to improved safety standards for frontal and side crash protection.
Ami Gadhia

Policy Counsel, Product, Food, and Auto Safety

Ami Gadhia is Policy Counsel with the Washington, D.C. Office of Consumers Union. Her issues include product, food, and auto safety. Ms. Gadhia works with Congress and federal agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration, the Consumer Product Safety Commission, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration as part of her work.
Old 04-15-10, 05:47 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

...this is crazy. You know, when this truck first came out I felt it seemed a little too narrow for its height...like the Isuzu Trooper or Mitsubishi Montero; both of which are relatively easy to topple over in the event of a quick manuever.
Old 04-15-10, 06:04 AM
LexFather

Sadly this wouldn't fly much overseas b/c people actually do their own thinking and don't let the media do it for them. They are much MUCH better drivers than we are. They would laugh at that video. Here, people get scared and want to sue.

Originally Posted by encore888
Just searched for "Lexus" on Google and found something which made me think...a bit tacky and questions their financial motive. They run these tests, find an issue (aha!) with no actual incidents (still, yes), then they can run ads, get subscribers off it, go on TV etc...

"Safety Risk...Find Out More Here!" seems rather hyperbolic and sensationalized, it seems that the headlines and 'don't buy' classification may be somewhat hyped for their own benefit.
Basically.....

Old 04-15-10, 08:16 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

My uncle owns 3 toyota dealerships in the philippines. They know whats going on with all the recalls, but it doesnt effect their products. It isnt effecting sales at all
Old 04-15-10, 09:14 AM
JessePS

Lexus RX (2010) 77/110
Lexus LX570 70/110
Lexus GX460 67/110

Best SUV for 2010 from CG is Buick Enclave that scored 79/110
Best SUV with V8 for 2010 from CG is Chevrolet Suburban 79/110

**** the Range Rover and Land Cruiser got 73/110
Old 04-15-10, 09:31 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
VSC will soon be a Federally-mandated requirement for all vehicles under 10,000 lbs. (the latest figure I saw is September 2011). The mandate is unclear if a VSC deactivate switch is required.
Yes, federal mandate is the result of well-proven safety benefits of VSC.

Most likely the VSC deactivate switch will not be mandated.

All the deactivate switches default to the active mode upon restart. And many of the systems (even when deactivated) resume some form of stability control under certain extreme conditions, in other words many do not deactivate 100% even when supposedly switched off.
Old 04-15-10, 10:25 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

So the RAV4 and Harrier (presumably referring to the last-gen RX) are affected too? That was unexpected. Good thing they have a quick fix ready though.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/toy...ms-in-a-flash/

Toyota Cries Uncle On GX460, Will Fix Problems In A Flash
By Bertel Schmitt on April 15, 2010

That was fast: Two days after Consumer Reports slammed the Lexus GX460 with a “Do Not Buy” rating, and one day after ToMoCo halted the sale of said vehicle, Toyota already has a fix. Today at lunchtime in Tokyo, Toyota said to The Nikkei [sub] that there will be changes to the Lexus GX460. This in an unusually quick response to CR’s assertion that the SUV’s tail can wag too much when the gas pedal is released while turning at high speeds.

As Ed Niedermeyer predicted when he said “Expect GX460 sales to fall off a cliff until the model is fitted with an electronic straitjacket,” the problem will be solved with a re-flash. Toyota will modify the electronic stability control system and unspecified “other aspects of the vehicle.”

According to the Nikkei, Toyota has begun to test other SUV models. Based on the findings, the automaker will make the same fix for models like the RAV4 and Harrier. Toyota’s new Vice President of Recalls sure has his hands full.

Quick Reply: GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)