Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW- Will the real "M" and "S" stand up? BMW M6/Infiniti M56/Audi S6 + others

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-10, 07:49 PM
LexFather

Post 1SICKREVIEW- Will the real "M" and "S" stand up? BMW M6/Infiniti M56/Audi S6 + others

Was doing some running around today and had some spare time to check out some vehicles of interest (or not). MMarshall PM'd me about the Kizashi review I promised so that was one goal. The Infiniti/Audi/Hyundai/BMW dealers (and others) were nearby so I decided to take a few for a spin.

I will also incorporate the dealer experience as I think people liked it in the Acura TL/Nissan Maxima review I did. These magazines don't talk about that, they rather tell you about how the car drives in a way YOU WON'T drive it.

I took pics with my iPhone of most but I got kind of caught up in the M6 and forgot to take one damn pic Clearly that says something about the car. Some cars got driven, some I just inspected and then I also replicated the SAME driving areas in the GS 450h to really compare it to a Lexus. I hope that addition helps explain differences between vehicles and in this case, the GS.

Surely some fanboys will get their panties in a bunch and some will probably be surprised by my findings. In my last few reviews I've kind of held back on my form of humor as not to offend but that just isn't me and I can't do it..

So first..

2011 Infiniti M56 "S"

As I enter the dealership there were tons of G37s lined up, then FXs, then things got confusing as EX/FX/Murano etc were all parked together and I had to reverse as I drove into the NIssans they were selling. I park right behind a black/black M56 and get out and its immediately clear this car is a full size bigger than the GS. Length is 195 inches (5 inches longer) 72.6 inches wide (around the same) and 59.6 inches tall.

Exterior-Those dimensions tell the story like the last model on that it looks too tall and too thin like a Dodge Challenger in proportions. It does not look low and wide. So you walk to the front and the SUV influence is apparent. I walk past the huge fender flares and then you see these slanted headlights and this giant grill. Overall it looks truckish and very masculine. Down low are similar round fog lamps to the last model. It is very curvy and you walk to the sides where the a sharp crease from the front goes to the sides. You notice more curves and then you notice the C-pillar is thin and not thick as the last model which really confuses the tough front end. I end in the rear where the tailights jut out like a Toyota/Lexus and are in a rather ordinary shape. The M56 and "S" badge wasn't even aligned right on any car, it looked like a GM job. At least the last model had some tailight style even if it was ridiculous. The 20" wheels are a must for looks (more on the 20s later) as the M37 I saw with the 18s looked pretty awful. This is one car that looks pretty much the same as it does in pics which means I don't see any opinions changing when you see it in person. There was a M35 parked next to the M37 and it looked for more balanced and classy. Sorry Infiniti this curvy wave stuff isn't really working. To its credit the sport got the nice big brakes from the G37 I believe and they look good (why does everyone feel the need to write their name on the calipers though?). Overall it was a disappointment and to me the best color was I believe "Liquid Graphite".

Interior
So initially I walked inside to check out the showroom model which was open. The doors open and still feel thin like the last model but the interior is a clear step up in quality. A lot of wood if you like wood and it seems very well done (I didn't see any cars with the silver dust in the wood though). Controls IMO are well laid out expect some lower Radio controls I believe which are way to close to the shifter especially in park. Amazingly there is an ashtray on the center console an item dying in other cars. Thats when you start to notice chrome trim everywhere and curves all over. Everywhere you look a curve. You might like it but its a little overdone to me. Headroom is great and the seats felt very good. The seat had the usual power functions. Rear seat room though was lacking, just as cramped as a GS but with much more headroom. It was clearly smaller than the last model which had great rear leg room, IMO one of the best around of most cars. One final thing I hated the headliner, felt like the cheap crap in the old 350Z. I also heard a few creaks in the middle of the dash when I was blasting it around. Which means for the most part the cabin was quiet but I thought windnoise up front was more obvious than the GS.

Everyone in the dealership was friendly. If you are used to Lexus dealerships, this is not as good but its clearly nicer than a Nissan one. Don't expect a ton of space as they simply don't move the volume. The salesmen areas were not as private or upscale as Lexus. I got asked by 3 people did I have help and again they were very friendly and courteous. I spoke back to the first guy to be fair and I asked to drive the M56.

He was friendly and was straightforward saying he didn't read up much on it and I probably know more about it than him (he is right). He told me about the parking/lane features and how fast it was.

He was right.

The Drive
We exit the dealer with him driving and he floors it and the 420hp 5.6 V-8 opens up and roars...It initially shifted hard but I figure it was cold (and hell it is a Nissan). I already could feel the road too much though. We swap spots...

There are 3 settings if I remember..sport, normal, snow. So I tried normal, sport. This car was loaded at $67,000+ sport.tech, most everything. The paddle shifters are in a good place and large enough for my hands (I can palm a basketball) compared to some others who seem to prefer smaller paddles.

Normal mode--the car accelerates but the throttle is not as aggresive. It handles well for a big car but the steering did not feel as "connected" as I thought, especially the way some talk. I honestly wasn't too impressed with the steering. It does have a full leather wheel, good in size and it is "heated" if you press a button. The ride wasn't too good. The 20's really don't help the ride at all, you feel every grain in the road and it wobbles in uneven pavement.

That is when I heard the "Beep Beep" from lane depature. Basically if you go over the white line on either side it beeps. Great feature if you are drunk but for normal driving it would get annoying I would think "beep beep".

Overall, it was very torquey and power felt more than ample...but I dunno, needed more..so hit sport

Sport
-Not sure what the hell it does exactly but this is the way I would probably drive the car most of the time. You keep the same harsh ride but to me the throttle and steering fits better. I doubled the speed limit in 35 MPH zones without fear of the rear swinging out. The car felt planted but honestly rode like some aftermarket car with big wheels and a stiff sway bar. It really wasn't what I was expecting. The steering to me was a disappointment. All these electric do-dads in cars make them all feel like like my hybrid. Everthing is "assisted" and I honestly never felt at one with the car. Now true this is my first drive in it but for that that have driven/seen me drive I think I am capable. It really surprised me. In some corners you can feel the weight in the front pull the car, lacking balance. Maybe I set my expectations to high I was expecting this "Japanese BMW" people yap about but all I got was "F-sport Lexus" in translation.

Acceleration--The car feels like it has 380hp, not 420....I am not sure why but it is fast yes (didn't time it) but I didn't feel like OMG. Riding in the LFA might has screwed my senses up. What I do love was the ample torque at any speed in any gear. No waiting, just punch it and the car goes. PLENTY of power and it NEVER felt close to underpowered.

Brakes-Overlooked in most reviews are brakes. They are SUPERB in this car. Lets be honest most people don't track their cars here so in normal driving I feel they will get the job done. GREAT feel, immediate response and never feel on/off. Glad to know they brake as good as they look.

Tech/Features
-The blind assist was cool.....there are two small lights on each side of the mirror and it actually lights up when there is someone in your blind spot. I tested it on a SUV and it worked Except you get another "beep beep" to go with the other "beep beep". Another great if you are drunk feature

The soundsystem is still bose according to the salesman and it sounded loud but was lacking clarity to me. I am no audiophile and surely for most they will love it but compared to the competition it simply didn't leave me with a "wow" experience.

I hate the ******* on top the dash. I don't want to think of bras and **** when I drive. Infiniti in its quest for curves gave the lid over the speedometer double humps. Looks like 2 *** cheeks if you don't like ****. Very odd, weird. Maybe the interior designer likes T&A?

The big Nav screen was very nice and easy to read. I have grown to appreciate "birds eye view". It has real time traffic, weather and 9 gigs hardrive. I do think its kind of redundant for cars to focus on these things when most peoples cell phones do it. I can appreciate the real time traffic though.

Drive vs the GS
So I took my GS over the same road and the Infiniti did feel more capable but honestly not that much more capable. The Infiniti rides on 40 series 20s and the GS has 40 series 18s but the ride in the Lexus is more supple. How do they do that? While the GS has ample torque due to the batteries it is more loud with the CVT whereas the M56 just drops down with a nice growl from the V-8 and it always feels like there is power without telling you all the time it has it. The M56 did have less roll than the GS and felt more planted but again I really was disappointed with the steering and when driving my GS didn't feel "weird" I knew I was right about it.

Finally I am SICK AND TIRED of cars getting bigger, bigger, bigger and then claiming/getting sportier. The confusion is the GS felt more coupe like inside with a less cluttered dash and no ******* over the speedometer. The M56S is bigger, felt bigger and while indeed the sportier car I wish the dash was more drivers oriented. At this rate all cars will be copies of the 7 series, huge and sporty which in essence is a mix at odds with itself.

The dealership had no brochures so I was given a stack of printed paper on the new model. I appreciated the effort but it came across as cheap.

Summary
If you don't desire the supreme dealership experience that is a plus as people were nice but the dealership lacked proper tier 1 "status". If you are a loyal Nissan guy/gal, then you might like the curves of the car inside and out. It is a very good car, there is no doubt about that and in no way is my review saying it isn't. The the price is $67,000+ loaded and I think that is 10k to high and reading around it seems discounts are available already. I did not walk away feeling that car was worth near 70 grand. I did not walk to my car saying "damn that feels old". Which leads me to believe the M37S might be the better buy around 55 grand.

Sorry but the 5 series has NOTHING to worry about.

All pics taken with my iPhone....

Where the last model is more sedate the new one is curvy. Personally I can't believe it but I really like the last model.

This is where things get bad to me. The front with the huge grill and aggressive flairs is met with a slim center and a slimmer C-pillar than the last model, a bulbous drooping rear and non distinctive tailights.

This is the one I drove. The front is very bold with the 20s peeking and you can see it and the new QX have very similar cues. I think with the chrome painted black it would look even more tough. (you can see my 450h behind it)

Not the one I drove but the same color. 4 spoke steering wheel looks out of place and the curves are just overdone to me. It is well laid out to me for the most part and high in quality. You can see the "****/asscheeks" on top of the speedometer with the double hump cover...When I was driving it just felt like I was looking at buns or ***** the entire time....

You have to get the 20s for looks but the 20s give it a harsh ride, here it is with 18s...

I guess in the sake of keeping things "curvy" the rear badges are not straight across but angled upward.

I took this pic b/c I thought I was looking at two A4s and then when I got to the rear I noticed one was a A4 and the other an A6. With base wheels they really blend in

The Genesis interior. Very well done and lovely in its simplicity. Tons of room inside. One thing I noticed is the ***** and push button start all felt "the same" in the different cars. Kind of weird that such different cars use those same key ingredients.

The lovely S6. Audi interiors do not photograph well but in person they are just lovely. Everything felt expensive and the interior was just a lovely place to be. The glovebox opens with a press of a button on the dash, the vanity mirror has TWO mirrors for female passengers, a regular mirror and a close up one. Genius!

The V-10...its amazing how it sits far up front in the car but it didn't feel heavy up front and it doesn't hurt the styling. Great job Audi. Contrary to some mag reviews I never felt that it needed more power and quite frankly the power/handling ratio was damn near perfect!

Last edited by LexFather; 04-11-10 at 09:00 AM.

Old 04-10-10, 08:10 PM
LexFather

I checked out and sat in all the other Infinitis.

FX35- I think the exterior is ridiculous so I won't harp on that. The interior is solid but not as good as some would have you think (Nissan interiors really are gettin better/Murano/370Z/Maxima) Front seat room is fine, rear seat room is okay and cargo room is ridiculous. I could not believe how small the rear hatch is with the seat up. To me a ridiculous idea.

EX35-so how do you follow up a ridiculous idea? With one even more ridiculous. Now to ME the doors had the most solid feel with a good "thunk" when closed. The interior felt like a glove to me, perfect in size, height, width and looked like a mini-FX which is a good thing. Rear seat room is awful and the cargo room as I've reported before is ridiculous. You can fit a pack of cards and some gum back there. I also hate looking at it.

G37-Interior felt by far the cheapest here even with the updates and really is a let down. The car has ample room front and rear. I never liked how sedan's melted GS looks and I must have seen too many Altima coupes today (as I did) as the coupe didn't move me at all. Went to the convertible and they did a better job of the styling than the IS C no doubt but it just reminds me of a giant SC 430. Still though I think the G37 at around 35k-38k is just one of the best buys around.

Thats when you really realize you checked out as many SUVs and cars there. They need to build some more cars and fast.

Acura--So the salesman asked me what other cars I was looking at for my fiance and I said "Lexus, we like the new Maxima and some Acuras".....to which he said "I don't know what they are thinking with all that chrome, damn they are ugly"......to which I agreed they looked like decepticons not good enough to make the movie....

Last edited by LexFather; 04-10-10 at 08:22 PM.

Old 04-10-10, 08:17 PM
LexFather

Next up I WANTED to check the Suzuki Kuzashi. It might be my first time at the Suzuki dealer and it might be my last. Trust me I am as comfy on MLK boulevard as I am at the Mayors ball but jeez, this felt like the typical smell errrrr small car dealership.

I parked and walked around and that is when you notice....

There are maybe 6 Suzuki's on the lot and 50 random used cars, 40 of them luxury ones. Huh? (I've heard of some of these guys going to auctions and this is clearly the case).

The dealership was the size of a small apartment and it smelled like kids wet poo. I assume it might have been the 79 kids I saw all over the place crying not b/c they were hungry but b/c they are riding in a Suzuki

So I walk around and the lot is actually busy with people looking at the used luxury cars. I wanted to see a SUZUKI at a SUZUKI dealer.

2, yes 2 Kazashi's there. Both base with a 22k sticker with 26 MPG (a whooping 3 MPG more than the 450h). They do look good in person and from the front like a better Jetta. I tried to pull the door handle and it was very flimsy (you realize why some luxury cars cost so much or maybe they need to do a better job). The rear exhaust is a nice touch.

Sadly none were manuals and I promised MMarshall a manual review. So much for that idea....

Old 04-10-10, 08:44 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

55 grands for a Infiniti M35?!? WTF!?!
Old 04-10-10, 08:58 PM
LexFather

So next I went to the BMW used car dealership to hopefully drive a 545/550 to compare to the M56......A rather stern guy came out in the cold "we just sold our last five fiffffftttyyyeeee" so I walk around....there was another couple in a 2002 or so TL checking out a Prius on the lot. I spoke to them and explained the hybrid bits so she didn't feel the car was too weird.

There was a black M6 on the lot (I can't remember if it was an 09 or 10) with the "M" stripes on the sides in blue/red....I must have walked around the flaming car 7 or 8 times as you know it is "special" even if you don't really like it. Sorry but there is a mystic feeling with the "M" badge especially with the rarer ones.

Exterior

.I never was a fan of the looks and today wasn't much different but if I ever did this car it would be black. The brakes were big but the caliper design is not sexy but the wheels are SEEXXXY GET IN MY BELLY Sexy. The headlights look upside down, the sides are rather plain and the trunk....laaaaaaaaaaawd that trunk...looks like Kim Kardashian with butt implants (if that is possible). To its credit it didn't seem "old" in design. I knew I wasn't going to fall in love so lets move on. This car is 192 inches long, 73 inches wide and 54 inches in height so its actually LONGER than my GS but slightly shorter than the M56. Its a big 2 door.

Interior
Lets start from the top and the black suede headliner is fantastic. This should be an option on all cars, it just looks and feels so much more luxurious. From there you see the usual BMW dials and the stitching on the steering wheel. The seats are snug and have tons of adjustments. They felt supportive but I felt I was still on top the seat. The center console had CF trim and there is just too many lines for my liking. The interior didn't feel much more special than being in a 3 series, sorry. The shifter has like 500 settings and I don't play Xbox so I needed a tutorial....headroom is great as there is no sunroof (Carbon Fiber roof) and rear seat room seemed tight. There also was this random chrome cupholder that was rather large on the console.

I didn't walk inside the dealership didn't need too. The salesman didn't talk too much but he did let me drive the M6 It was right next door to the new car lot and things were tidy and clean. There was a lot of room for more used cars so I figure they are selling briskly.

The Drive
You have to put the key in the steering wheel then hit the start button. The 500hp V-10 roars to life...You then notice the small paddle shifters which always puts the car into manual mode when you touch them. I LOVE this feature. Sorry but for a test drive I didn't get the shifter. I think its just redamndiculous. What was wrong with a regular shifter, why do I have to speak German to drive?

Well the car taught me German in one easy lesson as soon as I turned the steering wheel. MAGNIFICENT Where the M56 and my GS feels like steering on ice whereas the BMW felt like it knew what I was thinking. The V-10 had a nice screamer when you hit it and even just cruising around...power felt ample but never overpowering as it has under 400lbs of torque and this is a 3900lbs or so car. It is just FRUSTRATING being behind traffic in this car....sigh.....but when a gap opens up the SMG shifts hard as rocks and the car takes off.....not sure if is SMG or not but shifts were not smooth at all, there was a delay then a surge as you downshifted...

Handling was just superb and I never felt out of touch with this car. Rear visibility could be better but since the car made me feel confident it didn't matter. The next cool part was noticing the HUD "Heads Up Display" that shows your speed and your revs on the windshield. EVERY car should have this feature. I got to open it some on the freeway and the car just flies....I used the paddle shifters and felt so in tune with it.

More fun started on a couple small backroads...even though this was a big car it handled smaller than it felt. The car has Michelin PS2s and that surely helped....I just threw in in these corners and the car just responded with ease, I NEVER broke a sweat driving it while the V-10 hummed very nicely.

Another fantastic positive was the ride was fantastic. It wasn't too harsh and it never felt jarring. I was quite shocked at the ride and this could be a DD without a doubt.

I parked the car and I was so impressed I forgot to take pics. Not sure if it would be my first choice but it is simply a FANTASTIC coupe.

BMW+M
=

Brakes-Feel was superb during low or high speeds. It really was an asset here and in the hard braking I did the car did not argue. Very impressed.

Tech/Features- I hated the SMG, I didn't play with I cannot drive and the shifter was ridiculous. So clearly there is tech but it takes time to learn it. I loved the HUD feature....quite frankly to hell with the tech I just wanted to drive the damn car again

Drive vs the GS

Where the BMW felt natural, the GS felt artificial. I could appreciate the GS had more room in a car actually smaller but damn can I have the BMW steering/handling/engine in here? Seriously if those two could match I would fap in the garage all day. The GS felt much less confidence inspiring and disconnected. Wasn't even close. Oddly b/c of the torque from the batteries it didn't feel that much slower but it was slower.

Summary

Once you get past the looks and the German way of doing things inside this is just a fantastic driving car. I wanted to drive it again, more than any other car today. It felt "special". MSRP for this used M6 was $93,000. I felt it was high for being $93,000 but not high for the car. Its rare with a V-10...it should be that much.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-10-10 at 09:51 PM.

Old 04-10-10, 08:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sadly none were manuals and I promised MMarshall a manual review. So much for that idea....
No problem. Don't worry about it. You did plenty as it is. I can check one out if there is a need for it....I've already done the automatic, of course.

Well the car taught me German in one easy lesson as soon as I turned the steering wheel. MAGNIFICENT Where the M56 and my GS feels like steering on ice whereas the BMW felt like it knew what I was thinking.
Even other Germans can't compare. Although recently Audi and M-B have improved the roadability/driving feel of several of their models, there still is nothing like a Bimmer for telepathic steering. You comment about it knowing what you are thinking is spot-on.

2011 Infiniti M56 "S"
I did a split-review a couple of years ago on the M45 AWD and RWD M45S..was quite impressed with them both. I didn't know that the M56s were now on the lots ready to go (and, apparantly, even better). I'm glad you got a chance to try one out.

Nice job on these multiple reviews. You must have put a lot of time into writing them up...I know how long it typically takes me to do just one car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-10-10 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-10-10, 09:12 PM
LexFather

Next I stopped by the Audi dealer.....which is small and sandwiched between a Hyundai and Mazda dealer. Didn't feel luxurious at all but like they were an after thought. Car selection was horrid, one Q5, one S4 with 18s and a bunch of A4s parked next to A6s and I honestly were mistaking the two.....

No one came outside to help, no biggie as this particular owned dealership group is horrible and can eat white dog poo. Glad I didn't see but one other person walking around.

I mean there literally are Audi's parked behind Mazdas.....felt like I was at the Suzuki dealer....

Since no one helped I figure let me go to the Hyundai dealer...so I walked over....

This place was buzzing, customers inside and out. I walk past two salesman who said nothing.....so I go inside and there is a 3.8 Genesis coupe with NAV (didn't even know they had it) inside. I was STUNNED at how I fit inside this car, just PERFECT. The seats were great with a cheap bit. The power seat moved front/rear and there is a manual control for the seat back. Cheap....the interior center console looks like the same awful crap in the old G35. What were they thinking? That is when copying goes back, when you copy stuff not realizing NO ONE LIKED IT. Surprisingly the dash had good plastics and honestly it was a great place to sit in.

I then sat in a Genesis 4.6 to stroke the dash. Its a damn good dash and I much prefer the simplicity of the Genesis to the tidal wave after wave in the M56. Quite frankly you can swap badges out on the steering wheels and things would be fine. That is how good this interior is. I do hate the perforated trim on the doors though. I also start noticing ANOTHER **** on the console, like the M56, like the M6. Again things kinda blend...Headroom is great front and rear. The rear had the best seat, tons of space for legs and your head. Also when you open the door there is lighted door sills and the start/stop button lights up. You also notice the same start/stop button seemingly in all these cars including mine. More sameness. Small but same.

I walk outside and love the blue color coupe and I just love the Genesis coupe in general. Sadly no one asked me for help so I walked back to my car and left.....

Old 04-10-10, 09:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

.so I go inside and there is a 3.8 Genesis coupe with NAV (didn't even know they had it) inside. I was STUNNED at how I fit inside this car, just PERFECT. The seats were great with a cheap bit. The power seat moved front/rear and there is a manual control for the seat back. Cheap....the interior center console looks like the same awful crap in the old G35. What were they thinking? That is when copying goes back, when you copy stuff not realizing NO ONE LIKED IT. Surprisingly the dash had good plastics and honestly it was a great place to sit in.

I walk outside and love the blue color coupe and I just love the Genesis coupe in general. Sadly no one asked me for help so I walked back to my car and left.....
If possible, now go back and drive a Genesis coupe.....preferably the 3.8 Track model (even if you have no plans for buying one). You will be amazed......in my review, I found it has (arguably) the most BMW-like driveline/chassis combo of anything I've seen without a blue-and-white propeller on the hood......and I don't say that lightly.

You are correct about the Genesis sedan having a far better interior than the coupe....especially the dash/console. On the coupe, Hyundai obviously spent most of the development money on the chassis, not inside....and it shows.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-10-10 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-10-10, 09:49 PM
LexFather

So I wanted to drive a S4 and I was thinking maybe Panamera...I drive to another dealership area and decide to stop by Audi again.....

You have to realize individual dealerships are at fault and not to blame the entire brand when service is poor.

So I gave Audi another chance. This dealership was FULL of people walking around....I parked and walked around..someone who ordered a TTS finally got it and it looks FANTASTIC in person even as a convertible....the dealership wasn't much bigger and right next to a VW one....there was a nice new A4 sport there and an A6 with the 19s....and then I saw something rare, in silver and you would have NEVER asked twice if you didn't know about cars.

Luckily I do......it was a Audi S6 with 18s......totally under the radar and blends in like the pollen everywhere....I walked around 6-7 times as well as I never saw one in person.....

Luckily I got one of the better salesman I've encountered. I didn't ask where he was from but he told me Europe....We talk about the car and he says how good it is...I told him I just drove a M6 and he says "yeah all that power but can you use it, Quattro is legendary" and I get the Audi spill....

It was fine though

He gets the keys and is very polite and VERY knowledgeable....says he used to rally cars and he knows EVERYTHING about this car and Audi....I was very impressed. He explains the entire car as the A/C cools down....

Exterior
This will be short as with the 18s there isn't much to say. If you debadged it and took the V-10 off the sides it looks like any Audi sedan. Oddly this really REALLY appealed to me as it is a true Q-ship. In comparison the M6 is more noticable and the M56 is just bling bling. I have no idea to this day how Audi gets such good proportions from FWD based cars with engines way in front. Quite a feat.

Interior
Like the BMW, stark, cold and German. It worked much better in here though with the black, aluminum (its all real Mike, everything in the Audi is real says the salesman) and carbon fiber (all real Mike). You press a button on the dash to open the glovebox (where the CDs are). Everything is just classy inside, even if familiar with other Audis. The shifter is actually understandable unlike the BMW. The gauges are nice but I never will like the odd ovals that droop to the outside.

The seats are magnificent. "Recaro's Mike, and made in Italy". In a light grayish hue they are among the best seats I sat in. I WANTED to sit and drive and not drive and sit. I wish I could mold these in the GS. You need to SIT in these seats. Headroom is great, legroom is great.

The rear seat room is generous. This car is 193.5 inches long and 57 inches tall...I liked the feel and there is an emergency kit in the rear center armrest.

One cool tidbit up front is great for women...the fold down mirror has TWO sliding mirrors, one regular and one for close ups to do makeup. Great idea! The car also has a black headliner but not suede-like.

The Drive

Utterly brilliant. After the salesman and I talked we both respected our knowledge. Thus he took it out for a spin first. He flew around a familar corner at a speed I never dared and the S6 didn't break a sweat, totally flat in cornering and not any squeals from the tires. The engine sounded great but more subdued than the M6.

I get out the car to drive it and he shows me the trunk which is similar to the last gen E-class being long, straight and flat. (I think these trunks are great and the GS/M56 trunks are absolutely ridiculous in comparison). If you need to carry dead bodies get a German car, the Japanese mid size trunks are silly.

Ahhhha again those seats. I adjust everything and use the shifters. This car has 435hp from a V-10 and 398 lbs or torque. I loved every minute of it. The ride was very good, supple without feeling too distant and much better than the other cars. Handling was GREAT not as meaty/direct as the BMW but yet didn't feel loose as the M56 or GS. It was a very good balance and I liked the smaller steering wheel. The AWD really gave me extra confidence in corners hammering it around and whereas in the other cars I knew I was going fast in this car you don't realize it.

It drove smaller than it was and the controls and feel were superb. It didn't feel too small, too tall, too big or too heavy. That is what got me the car weighs a whopping 4400+ lbs but felt LIGHTER than the M56 (4050 lbs) or the M6 (3900 lbs).

I parked it stunned at how good it was. We talked inside and the salesman was direct as hell "I'll be honest I don't care if you like it or won't buy it they only make a few of these, its rare we get one and we put it on Autotrader where people look specifically for it and it lasts here a week".

After driving it I see why.

Brakes-Another car with great feeling brakes. Great pedal feel and grippy without biting. All 3 cars brakes were really really good and I have no complaints. Surely taking to the track would tell how good but who does that?

Tech/Features-Again, this is a car I just drooled over driving. It was pretty loaded and there is one feature I forgot to mention it has that the M56 did and that is the lovely reverse camera with the lines telling you were you are steering and the blue markout showing where directly behind you is. Much much better than just the rear camera in my GS. I didn't try the sound system. The sunroof was a dial and he made it look easy but I didn't like it in the IS either. Car has adaptive lights and LED rear lights.

Summary
Who knows about this hidden gem? What a pefect sleeper, I mean it has a V-10!!! It is hardly mentioned in mags or on the internet. What a shame but I guess owners might like knowing they have one of the best kept secrets around.

Don't just jump to the M5 or E55 etc...give this a shot.

Old 04-10-10, 09:57 PM
LOL!
Lead Lap

Great write ups 1Sick. Very much enjoy reading them.
Old 04-10-10, 10:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, it's hard to criticize Audi interiors, although the S-models, as you note, are somewhat colder and more Teutonic-like than the others. Still, the materials used, and the fit/finish, are superb...the A8's interior is (arguably) the best of any mass-produced car.

The brakes, yes, are generally up to BMW-levels in firm-pedal feel and responsiveness, but I still think Audi steering, while good, is not BMW-telepathic.
Old 04-10-10, 10:29 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

you basically have to compare M56 to LS460. closer in size and closer in pricing as well. i'll pay 5-7 more grand to buy LS460 in a heart beat.
Old 04-10-10, 10:35 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What a wonderful read like your earlier one with pulling up the GSh to the Acura/Nissan Maxima dealership tests! Neat.

I hate the ******* on top the dash. I don't want to think of bras and **** when I drive. Infiniti in its quest for curves gave the lid over the speedometer double humps. Looks like 2 *** cheeks if you don't like ****. Very odd, weird. Maybe the interior designer likes T&A?
I burst out laughing at this, now I will be faced with that image the next time I check the new M out. I've seen it at the autoshow floor, think the outer wave look is overdone, but who knows. Your review actually matches up with what others have said, that the V6 is definitely > V8 model.

Where the BMW felt natural, the GS felt artificial. I could appreciate the GS had more room in a car actually smaller but damn can I have the BMW steering/handling/engine in here? Seriously if those two could match I would fap in the garage all day.
One can dream, can't he? Handling/chassis engineering is definitely BMW's trump card. Of course, the M6 and the GSh were never meant to be compared directly, and I don't expect the 1GS-F to beat it in that area, but I hope it is competitive with the M5. From the more practical sensible luxury aspect, Lexus' forte, the GS is a smarter buy; more room, less expensive to insure, less problematic despite being more complex (hybrid etc.), not a gas guzzler... But those are cerebral appeals; the visceral has the GSh's acceleration, the M6's handling etc.

Interesting about the S6, it does fly under the radar a bit, I attribute that in part to its less obvious look.
Old 04-10-10, 10:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
you basically have to compare M56 to LS460. closer in size and closer in pricing as well. i'll pay 5-7 more grand to buy LS460 in a heart beat.
I drove the M56 today as well and thought it was an amazing car with the Sport package and aero kit. I think it looks better and drove nicer than a 5 series. Infiniti nailed it imo.
Old 04-10-10, 11:05 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i love the interior, but i don't like the exterior. definitely not my cup of tea. but if had to choose between M56 and GS460, then no doubt i would take M56.

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW- Will the real "M" and "S" stand up? BMW M6/Infiniti M56/Audi S6 + others