Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW- Will the real "M" and "S" stand up? BMW M6/Infiniti M56/Audi S6 + others

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-10, 12:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

awesome reviews mike, thanks!!!!

i haven't driven the m56 yet so i can't say much, but that does sound like an interesting car. i don't care much about the exterior, but i am pretty interested in finding out the interior details and also the drive

very interesting review on the m6 mike i agree a lot with what you said about the car. but first thing first, after you started the car, did you put it in M mode (or choose power)? if not, you were only toying with a 400hp machine. only if the power mode is enabled then you were really pushing all 500 horses. it's huge difference.

so now you know how i feel about the smg huh? it's really a horrible design, it shifts so hard but yet so slow it doesn't make sense... crappy design. you should have tried the m3 with the dct. really, then you will see what it feels like when it's done right

on the handling, did you choose the MDM (m dynamic mode) or just stock setting? it's again pretty significant difference.

and i am also very very surprised about the ride too. indeed all the m cars, as much as the suspension is tuned for performance, but they still ride surprisingly well. to date i still think my m3 rides smoother than the isf. and even my isf friend agrees.

you got that right about the steering feel mike now you know what it's all about. i still don't understand why japanese cars can't do it, the road feel, the feedback, it's just wow huh

seems like the s6 is another interesting car, it definitely looks very handsome. next time i visit my bmw/audi friend at dealership i should ask him to let me check out the s6!!!!!

(sorry i talk most about the m6 coz' i know more about it than the other two, hehe)
Old 04-11-10, 01:48 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Great write ups Mike..
Old 04-11-10, 06:20 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waiting for the Panamera review
Old 04-11-10, 07:33 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the reviews Mike. Love your reviews of the dealerships too.
Old 04-11-10, 07:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If possible, now go back and drive a Genesis coupe.....preferably the 3.8 Track model (even if you have no plans for buying one). You will be amazed......in my review, I found it has (arguably) the most BMW-like driveline/chassis combo of anything I've seen without a blue-and-white propeller on the hood......and I don't say that lightly.

You are correct about the Genesis sedan having a far better interior than the coupe....especially the dash/console. On the coupe, Hyundai obviously spent most of the development money on the chassis, not inside....and it shows.
Originally Posted by LOL!
Great write ups 1Sick. Very much enjoy reading them.
Thanks...I will in the future as I just love the styling of the coupe. The Genesis sedan also looks good, in-offensive and thank goodness not ugly.

Originally Posted by joe80
you basically have to compare M56 to LS460. closer in size and closer in pricing as well. i'll pay 5-7 more grand to buy LS460 in a heart beat.
Wrong. Edmunds just compared the M56 to an E550. The M56 is in the GS class and it is not a true flagship at all and that is clear. I won't even compare it to the LS sport (and that car was compared to the 7 series).

Originally Posted by encore888
What a wonderful read like your earlier one with pulling up the GSh to the Acura/Nissan Maxima dealership tests! Neat.

I burst out laughing at this, now I will be faced with that image the next time I check the new M out. I've seen it at the autoshow floor, think the outer wave look is overdone, but who knows. Your review actually matches up with what others have said, that the V6 is definitely > V8 model.

One can dream, can't he? Handling/chassis engineering is definitely BMW's trump card. Of course, the M6 and the GSh were never meant to be compared directly, and I don't expect the 1GS-F to beat it in that area, but I hope it is competitive with the M5. From the more practical sensible luxury aspect, Lexus' forte, the GS is a smarter buy; more room, less expensive to insure, less problematic despite being more complex (hybrid etc.), not a gas guzzler... But those are cerebral appeals; the visceral has the GSh's acceleration, the M6's handling etc.

Interesting about the S6, it does fly under the radar a bit, I attribute that in part to its less obvious look.
Thanks. If you love eating at Hooters the dash **** are for you. I think the M56 is a great car, no doubt about it but the ride really ruins things to me especially for a new 56k big luxo car and I was expecting more from the steering.

Originally Posted by rominl
awesome reviews mike, thanks!!!!

i haven't driven the m56 yet so i can't say much, but that does sound like an interesting car. i don't care much about the exterior, but i am pretty interested in finding out the interior details and also the drive

very interesting review on the m6 mike i agree a lot with what you said about the car. but first thing first, after you started the car, did you put it in M mode (or choose power)? if not, you were only toying with a 400hp machine. only if the power mode is enabled then you were really pushing all 500 horses. it's huge difference.

so now you know how i feel about the smg huh? it's really a horrible design, it shifts so hard but yet so slow it doesn't make sense... crappy design. you should have tried the m3 with the dct. really, then you will see what it feels like when it's done right

on the handling, did you choose the MDM (m dynamic mode) or just stock setting? it's again pretty significant difference.

and i am also very very surprised about the ride too. indeed all the m cars, as much as the suspension is tuned for performance, but they still ride surprisingly well. to date i still think my m3 rides smoother than the isf. and even my isf friend agrees.

you got that right about the steering feel mike now you know what it's all about. i still don't understand why japanese cars can't do it, the road feel, the feedback, it's just wow huh

seems like the s6 is another interesting car, it definitely looks very handsome. next time i visit my bmw/audi friend at dealership i should ask him to let me check out the s6!!!!!

(sorry i talk most about the m6 coz' i know more about it than the other two, hehe)
No problem Henry and to be honest I don't remember which kind of sucks. I might have left it in non sport mode and that might explain why it felt ample but not like a rocket as the S6 didn't feel any slower. Damnit!

If the car wasn't in sport mode and it actually handles better that is a scary thought. I need more time with this car.

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Great write ups Mike..
Thanks

Originally Posted by J.P.
Waiting for the Panamera review
Panamera review is kind of like bumping into Manuela Arcuri in the street. You know your not going to hit it (I can't buy it) but you can dream and fap about it all you want.

Old 04-11-10, 07:51 AM
LexFather

I also forgot to add the S6 used comes with an Audi backed 100k certified warrenty and was under $50,000 to buy. To me it combines sport handling, steering with space for 4/5 with a great trunk.

To me it is a no brainer buy. I am just floored by how good it was.

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Thanks for the reviews Mike. Love your reviews of the dealerships too.
Thanks...let me break them down for an easier read

Infiniti- good- friendly staff, honest staff, gave tons of info on paper about the car, drove the cars with no issues, one of each model to check out inside
-needs work-never truly felt luxurious, too much sameness on the lot, no energy/excitement around

BMW-good-salesman was quiet (good or bad thing), drove the car with no issue, didn't try to put me in anything else
-needs work-never told me anything about the car, not much variety on the lot

Audi1-good- let me get back to you on that one
needs work-no one came outside, small dealership, awful location, awful inventory

Audi2-good-Did I mention the V-10 R8 inside! slighter larger than Audi 1, more inventory, a sense of excitement and energy, fantastic salesman and driver, no problems driving the car
needs work-not much, on the same driveway as a VW dealership, still rather small in size

Hyundai
good-seemed busy, a lot of cars to check out inside, a lot of inventory on the lot to look at
needs work-walked by salespeople without being asked "did I need help", inside seemed old and made the Genesis coupe/sedan look out of place

Suzuki
-good-great place to look for used luxury cars
needs work-maybe 5-6 actual Suzuki's there, never was asked for help, inside smelled like kid poo and very small in size

needs work-

Last edited by LexFather; 04-11-10 at 07:59 AM.

Old 04-11-10, 11:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No problem Henry and to be honest I don't remember which kind of sucks. I might have left it in non sport mode and that might explain why it felt ample but not like a rocket as the S6 didn't feel any slower. Damnit!

If the car wasn't in sport mode and it actually handles better that is a scary thought. I need more time with this car.
ah, yeah that will explain the apparent "lack" of power. by default i believe the m5/m6 start with normal mode (unless programmed in settings i think). it allows you to get into 500hp, and also the m mode will allow you to adjust the steering response, edc (eletronic dampening control), dsc (basically traction settings). those together usually turn the m cars into a pretty different animal.

it's ok mike, time to go for another in depth test drive when there isn't as much traffic around

and you might end up coming home in the M
Old 04-12-10, 03:10 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its scary whats happening with car prices. I wonder how much of a price increase we'll see on the next round of Lexus models.
Old 04-12-10, 08:29 AM
LexFather

ah, yeah that will explain the apparent "lack" of power. by default i believe the m5/m6 start with normal mode (unless programmed in settings i think). it allows you to get into 500hp, and also the m mode will allow you to adjust the steering response, edc (eletronic dampening control), dsc (basically traction settings). those together usually turn the m cars into a pretty different animal.

it's ok mike, time to go for another in depth test drive when there isn't as much traffic around

and you might end up coming home in the M
Yes, Mike is going to take a beginner's German car course. What was funny is the next day my fiance and I are going to eat and a black M6 pulls out in front of me. I explain "hey that is the same car I drove" and edumacate her . She asks "what does the M stand for" and I say Motorsport and Mine b/c the only BMW we would ever get is a "M" and I explained "M" cars and then told her "your boy Hussain Bolt wrecked his M3" and that resonated

Egads the car grew on me.

Originally Posted by Och
Its scary whats happening with car prices. I wonder how much of a price increase we'll see on the next round of Lexus models.
70k for that car is ridiculous. Its FM based and I don't see why it costs so much as the Patrol/QX shares its engine. What happened to the Infiniti "Value"? It has eroded and I don't see a compelling reason to drop the same or more for this brand. If this car was cheaper, I think it would have been extraordinary. Considering its price it just feels ordinary.

To make things worse, they are going to refresh in 2 years and completely redesign in 5 years like its a Nissan. I much prefer a longer cycle history for a luxury car, I don't want it to change obviously like a Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc.

Don't get me wrong, its a great car I just will have to go back to try the cheaper M37S and the M56 without the sport to see if those are the better buy.

I happened to be looking at GXs online and I was actually stunned to see a loaded "Premium" model was 66k. I don't see much value there either.

Old 04-12-10, 08:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks...I will in the future as I just love the styling of the coupe. The Genesis sedan also looks good, in-offensive and thank goodness not ugly.
There's a big difference in the way the sedan and coupe drive, not just in the looks/interior quality department. The sedan, as expected, has a more comfort-oriented chassis/suspension than the coupe, although its ride, for my tastes, is still on the firmish side. But the 3.8L Track coupe simply blows you away with its response/BMW-feel......in comparison to the coupe, the sedan, though competent by the standards of its class, feels like a appliance. They are simply two completely different cars, with no real relation of any kind to one another outside the 3.8L powerplant they both share.
Old 04-12-10, 10:39 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice reviews. I always loved the S6, but it was barely ever talked about because its been about 70-80hp down, with a price similar to the M5, and E63, and many were anticipating a stronger sportier RS6 coming. Then obviously it never came to our shores. So it kind of disqualified itself with the masses. But to me thats not a bad thing. I kind of like that exclusivity and its still a phenomenal car.

I've seen the S6 only twice on the road and I break my neck looking at it. So conservatively sporty. Plus the fact that the engine is a retuned Gallardo engine which gets me all hot and bothered. I'm sure with some light modifications, that car could sound damn close to the Gallardo which sounds like complete sex in upper rev range.

You got me looking at autotrader now. Thanks.
Old 04-12-10, 11:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GFerg
Nice reviews. I always loved the S6, but it was barely ever talked about because its been about 70-80hp down, with a price similar to the M5, and E63, and many were anticipating a stronger sportier RS6 coming. Then obviously it never came to our shores. So it kind of disqualified itself with the masses. But to me thats not a bad thing. I kind of like that exclusivity and its still a phenomenal car.

I've seen the S6 only twice on the road and I break my neck looking at it. So conservatively sporty. Plus the fact that the engine is a retuned Gallardo engine which gets me all hot and bothered. I'm sure with some light modifications, that car could sound damn close to the Gallardo which sounds like complete sex in upper rev range.

similar thing has been said about other audi models too, like the s5, performance of 335 but priced like m3/c63. that seems to be how audi is doing it now, good or bad i will say. to me, cars like these, a bit of exclusivity could be nice, but popularity is still more important.

don't get me wrong though, i think the s6 looks very nice, though i think it can use a bit more aggressiveness.
Old 04-12-10, 12:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GFerg

lol thanks

similar thing has been said about other audi models too, like the s5, performance of 335 but priced like m3/c63. that seems to be how audi is doing it now, good or bad i will say. to me, cars like these, a bit of exclusivity could be nice, but popularity is still more important.

don't get me wrong though, i think the s6 looks very nice, though i think it can use a bit more aggressiveness.
Sadly we don't get what you are asking for...the RS6 with wider flares, bigger wheels etc.....

Old 04-12-10, 12:39 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That pic leaves me reaching for towels...ughhhh.....soooo beautifulll....doooo wantttt....
Old 04-12-10, 01:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

man, mike, why do you just have to link that pic!!!!!!! now the s6 is a big letdown!

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW- Will the real "M" and "S" stand up? BMW M6/Infiniti M56/Audi S6 + others