Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The story of the world famous Rolls Royce Spirit of Ecstasy symbol

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-10, 08:58 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate the post, I love automotive history such as this. I feel all RR owners should be quized on this before they can buy one.

Originally Posted by TommyJames
I made a quick video and posted on YouTube of the S of E retraction and what happens in an impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUEbzexS1K0

You have to cycle the key a few times to get it to reset.
Thanks for posting the link, I have seen it retract once, but it is nice to see it again and I never knew it reacted that way to a crash.
Old 04-15-10, 09:27 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
I really appreciate the post, I love automotive history such as this. I feel all RR owners should be quized on this before they can buy one.

Thanks for posting the link, I have seen it retract once, but it is nice to see it again and I never knew it reacted that way to a crash.
Yea, I think that's the real joy of owning the car. It's far more antiquated than my LS460 but the history behind the little bits and pieces is what gives it that unique charm, from the Spirit of Ecstasy, to the 'RR' that remains upright on the wheels at all times.

It was great to see this thread.
Old 04-16-10, 07:54 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, I think that's the real joy of owning the car...to the 'RR' that remains upright on the wheels at all times.
Pardon my ignorance. I had no clue that the 'RR' logo on the wheels remained upright at all times. That is fantastic.

I have always wondered why manufacturers could not figure to do this, as it bothers me that the wheels spin and so do the logos and even more that the logos are all in different directions.

for RR. I want one...maybe a Ghost Drophead one day.
Old 04-16-10, 08:01 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

interesting read. i liked it a lot
Old 04-16-10, 08:01 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
Pardon my ignorance. I had no clue that the 'RR' logo on the wheels remained upright at all times. That is fantastic.

I have always wondered why manufacturers could not figure to do this, as it bothers me that the wheels spin and so do the logos and even more that the logos are all in different directions.

for RR. I want one...maybe a Ghost Drophead one day.
Yes, and it doesn't look all that complicated either. It actually sits on the hub with a counter weight covered in a hard plastic case. It can't be all that expensive to make.

I thought it would fun someday to do a real comparison between the Phantom and the LS460L. I actually have a deep appreciation for the Lexus after owning the Phantom and there are true and significant tradeoffs.
Old 04-16-10, 02:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Yea, I think that's the real joy of owning the car. It's far more antiquated than my LS460 but the history behind the little bits and pieces is what gives it that unique charm, from the Spirit of Ecstasy, to the 'RR' that remains upright on the wheels at all times.

It was great to see this thread.
Tommy james thank you so much for posting that video. Its one thing to read about it let alone to see it in action. Congrats on the beautiful car.

I am happy that this thread finally took off. I enjoy the automotive history just as much , if not more, as the standard info on HP and new models. I feel like its the knowledge of the history that sets us apart from the standard car guys
Old 04-16-10, 02:52 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Tommy james thank you so much for posting that video. Its one thing to read about it let alone to see it in action. Congrats on the beautiful car.

I am happy that this thread finally took off. I enjoy the automotive history just as much , if not more, as the standard info on HP and new models. I feel like its the knowledge of the history that sets us apart from the standard car guys
Thanks for starting a great thread! Yea, I spent five years of my adult life with no car while I went through school and feel very lucky to own the cars I have now. The history matters to me.
Old 04-18-10, 01:44 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for starting a great thread! Yea, I spent five years of my adult life with no car while I went through school and feel very lucky to own the cars I have now. The history matters to me.
I can identify with that. I was in school for almost a decade and clearly remember taking the bus, subway, cabs. The entire time I would just dream of be able to just leave when I wanted and come back when I wanted as opposed to waiting for trains, cabs, or a bus to show up. It really makes you appreciate what you have
Old 04-18-10, 03:40 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I can identify with that. I was in school for almost a decade and clearly remember taking the bus, subway, cabs. The entire time I would just dream of be able to just leave when I wanted and come back when I wanted as opposed to waiting for trains, cabs, or a bus to show up. It really makes you appreciate what you have
Absolutely! Back then just about anything that ran was as exciting as a Phantom. I always had a love of machines, be it airplanes, train locomotives, you name it and I wanted a Phantom for that reason. I've never taken my cars "clubbing" as I'm bored with that and prefer to actually use them. Instead I just enjoy getting out for a drive when I can, or meeting up with other car guys on weekends who have an appreciation for the same thing.