Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Businessweek: Honda Slips Into Reverse

Old 04-09-10, 08:51 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda has similarly stumbled with the Insight. During the hybrid's splashy relaunch last year, Honda pitched it as a less expensive alternative to Toyota's Prius. In 2010, Honda has moved fewer than 5,000 Insights in the U.S., about one-sixth the number of Priuses Toyota has sold. And in March, Ford's Fusion hybrid edged out the Insight 1,670 to 1,652 even though the Fusion costs some 35% more. While the Fusion is roomier, it gets nearly the same gas mileage, about 40 miles per gallon.
^LOL. The Insight is a sales disaster. 1/6th the Prius numbers.
And while the Insight is a dedicated hybrid model, the Fusion's hybrid variant
has even beaten it at $10K more!! THAT is pathetic on Honda's part.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I dont see why the CRZ will fail. Only time will tell
Because it's hideous? And because it is another comparable MPG fail?
Old 04-09-10, 10:11 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

CRZ won't succeed IMO because

1. market for a 2 seater coupe is very small.
2. pricing won't be as cheap as it should be(just my hunch, but it will be overpriced IMO)
3. poor MPG for a hybrid

i think styling won't matter that much because people love hybrid to be different. it's not bad looking, but to me it's weird looking coupe. it's definitely not my cup of tea, but people buy CRV which is equally awkward looking car.
Old 04-10-10, 05:20 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Default Honda lease

So why can't they sell?:

At the combo dealership (Honda, Toyota, Subaru, etc.) yesterday was having quick check on the Sienna when I casually asked about the $250/mo Accord lease to a "sales guy" while killing time. With $3K negative equity in my 09 Sonata (LOVE depreciation), they come back with a 36-month lease at $714 A MONTH!!!!!! ... for an LX!!!

Ehhh... how's that math again???

As an example, BMW quoted a loaded 328xi (same terms) for $604/mo SAME DAY... which would you rather drive?

Honda= DEAD and BUH-BYE!!!
Old 04-10-10, 07:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Milla...
When I went to the auto show back in November I remember one guy who banged his head pretty good getting into the back of the zdx and he cursed and complained the whole time, at that time I thought to myself Honda/Acura has failed.
That head-banging problem on ingress/egress is not limited to the ZDX (or Honda/Acura products) by any means. More and more vehicles, today, are selling out to the humpback-whale roof design that causes that. It is simply a case of where fuction takes a back seat to form (no pun intended).
Old 04-10-10, 07:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
So why can't they sell?:
Honda/Acura's main problem is styling, and body design. THAT is the main thing that is currently holding them back. There are sometimes-heard other complaints, too, about lack of a V8/RWD/6-speed automatics. But I not only disagree with some of those complaints, but many people I know don't seem to find that an issue either. In the past, they have been attracted to Honda/Acura products for their quality and reliability, and Honda still seems to be delivering in that department....I still see few vehicles that show better factory-assembly quality. Where they are NOT delivering is with the goofy looks...that's definitely having an effect.
Old 04-10-10, 07:48 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Honda/Acura's main problem is styling, and body design. THAT is the main thing that is currently holding them back. There are sometimes-heard other complaints, too, about lack of a V8/RWD/6-speed automatics. But I not only disagree with some of those complaints, but many people I know don't seem to find that an issue either. In the past, they have been attracted to Honda/Acura products for their quality and reliability, and Honda still seems to be delivering in that department....I still see few vehicles that show better factory-assembly quality. Where they are NOT delivering is with the goofy looks...that's definitely having an effect.
I will agree Mike the QUALITY... the Crosstour I sat in was fine (and less than 1/2 price of an X6)... but the financials... who's doing Finance??? I'm hearing this from others here in town getting the same BS on finances... only Honda dealer within 40 miles, soooooooooooooo....
Old 04-10-10, 06:33 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

heads need to roll over at Honda.
Old 04-11-10, 05:13 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Where they are NOT delivering is with the goofy looks...that's definitely having an effect.
I couldn't agree more. You can make the most reliable car in the world, but if it's ugly as sin, no one's gonna buy it. I think the new TL is a prime example.
Old 04-11-10, 10:08 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
So why can't they sell?:

At the combo dealership (Honda, Toyota, Subaru, etc.) yesterday was having quick check on the Sienna when I casually asked about the $250/mo Accord lease to a "sales guy" while killing time. With $3K negative equity in my 09 Sonata (LOVE depreciation), they come back with a 36-month lease at $714 A MONTH!!!!!! ... for an LX!!!

Ehhh... how's that math again???

As an example, BMW quoted a loaded 328xi (same terms) for $604/mo SAME DAY... which would you rather drive?

Honda= DEAD and BUH-BYE!!!

well, Accord sells fine.

Originally Posted by ecr527
I couldn't agree more. You can make the most reliable car in the world, but if it's ugly as sin, no one's gonna buy it. I think the new TL is a prime example.
well i find CRV sinfully ugly, but people still buy it because it's practical and it's honda. Crosstour won't sell as much because it's not practical. bad investment if you ask me.
Old 04-11-10, 10:39 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe80
well i find CRV sinfully ugly, but people still buy it because it's practical and it's honda. Crosstour won't sell as much because it's not practical. bad investment if you ask me.
IMO, the CRV looks way better than the Crossturd, but I know that's just a subjective styling opinion.

The sales results support my view easily though.
Old 04-11-10, 01:57 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

IMHO, If things dont change for the better...and fast...Honda might very well be doomed...

Accord and Civic might be their saving grace. They need to get a Hatch version of the civic here, and an ACTUAL accord wagon...not that ugly overpriced crap. They also need to get the MPG's up to 50 on the insight. I like the insight...but not when I can get the same mpg from my non hybrid civic.

Come on Honda, you arent giving me any reasons to buy new here...and I am in the market, about ready to drop cash on a new car.

That Genesis sedan is looking sweeter and sweeter every day...
Old 04-11-10, 07:09 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would have to agree. Honda has lost their minds since the mid 90s late 90s. Toyota is actually making somewhat nicer and more appealing cars, but not by much. Hyundai is definitely making the more eye catching cars today. I wouldn't buy any Nissan except for the 350Z though, which is odd for me since I really like the Infiniti cars. I think the Germans are where its at today.
Old 04-11-10, 07:42 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

IMO Honda tried to become Toyota too soon: swiftly killing its sports cars programs (S2000, NSX), attempting to market a dedicated hybrid with insufficient substance (Insight and, to a certain extent, the underpowered new CR-Z), bloating and diluting mainstream models (Accord) and following the form-over-function CUV niche (Crosstour, and they didn't even make it roomy or good-looking). These products were not well-thought and seem to have been released under the premise that the brand and a larger size will sell in the US.

So far, only the Accord has been giving the sales to justify Honda's strategy. I disagree with the CR-V being ugly, but it doesn't matter since it is practical and sells well. Here's to hoping that Honda doesn't screw up the next Civic and CR-V by upsizing and cheapening the interiors and powertrains.